• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Testing the vacuum cleaner

Andysu

Major Contributor
I've not included frequency which is also important maybe tomorrow or next day I will include frequency.
SPL dB is 85dB which is calmer than most other vacuum cleaners and I'm sure it can be modified to dampen down some of the frequency SPL dB or simply wear earplugs which are far cheaper.

So show your videos of your vacuum cleaners SPL dB and RTA frequency.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Damn, this is louder than I expected for a vacuum cleaner.

audiofooled

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Oh, it increases the noise floor that :)
My one also has this rotary brush and it's about as loud as any other I suppose. Without it the manufacturer says it's 78 db which is about true and bearable. I just don't try listening to music while it's on ;)

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The toaster is next.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My loudest vac is probably the one I use to make records less noisy - the Record Doctor IV.

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wear earplugs when I vacuum, so as long as my vacuum is quieter than about 110 dB, I don't care about the noise.

However, I am curious about the effect of turning on a vacuum cleaner on the voltage in my house's wiring.

My curiosity arose recently when I was troubleshooting a malfunctioning outdoor motion detector. This motion detector, which is not of the cheap variety that one can get from any hardware store, bears a warning that says the device is sensitive to power surges and should be installed on a dedicated line away from electric motors.

I'm not too concerned about the motion detector, but I am always concerned about my audio gear. The audio gear is all on circuits separate from the permanently situated electric motors in the house (refrigerator, washing machine, garage door opener, etc.). However, the vacuum cleaner is the one item with a motor that is regularly plugged in on circuits with audio equipment.

Do any of our members know if a vacuum cleaner may cause a voltage spike and, if so, how significant that spike may be?

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
I used to hate vacuum cleaners because of the noise. I bought my current one specifically because it is so quiet. Miele Complete C3 Silence. 64dBA according to the manufacturer. I never bothered to measure, because it is quiet, but I have measured others at 85dbC...

Propheticus

Do any of our members know if a vacuum cleaner may cause a voltage spike and, if so, how significant that spike may be?
As long as you don't yank out the cord while the (recent model) vacuum is running, should be fine.
And even then... It can create a nice arc, but still should not damage other equipment with properly designed power supply.

Also, the main effect of an electric (induction) motor turning on is a voltage dip (due to inrush current) not a peak. That can happen during shutoff.

Last edited:

audiofooled

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I second that! Everyone who wants a Klippel test of a vacuum cleaner like this post or the original!

I suppose it would have directivity issues and port resonance due to excessive turbulence. But for far field listening it would level out depending on toe in.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
When I met my partner, she had a horrible Dyson piece of junk (those stupid bagless things) which she needed industrial earmuffs when vacuuming. It got cleaned up and put on the kerbside collection. It was seriously loud. Dangerous, if you ask me for ears.

My 30+ year old Lux (made in Australia) is way quieter, had about 300% better suction and can go at least a year or more between bag changes. About 2kg of dust per bag. On auto, it adjusts the suction depending on the floor type or you can run it min/auto/max.

No comparison IME, bagged machines are so much quieter as the impellers are larger and spin more slowly. Also the motor is deep inside an acoustically insulated metal outer body in the case of the older Lux (Electrolux) machines.

Or the whole house ducted systems. They are great, unless you are in the garage when someone is vacuuming or someone sucks up a pair of socks that get jammed in the pipework...

Robin L

Master Contributor
We've had a perfectly serviceable Kenmore upright for 15 years, noisy as heck.

I take it as an opportunity to slap on the AKG K371's and crank Led Zeppelin.

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
I wear earplugs when I vacuum, so as long as my vacuum is quieter than about 110 dB, I don't care about the noise.

However, I am curious about the effect of turning on a vacuum cleaner on the voltage in my house's wiring.

My curiosity arose recently when I was troubleshooting a malfunctioning outdoor motion detector. This motion detector, which is not of the cheap variety that one can get from any hardware store, bears a warning that says the device is sensitive to power surges and should be installed on a dedicated line away from electric motors.

I'm not too concerned about the motion detector, but I am always concerned about my audio gear. The audio gear is all on circuits separate from the permanently situated electric motors in the house (refrigerator, washing machine, garage door opener, etc.). However, the vacuum cleaner is the one item with a motor that is regularly plugged in on circuits with audio equipment.

I happened to have the REW On with my THX 3417 on amplifier return and moved my vacuum cleaner into the THX room and switched it On/Off several times and saw no spike interference on the REW RTA.

However the kitchen light switch causes a brief interference that doesn't bother me as only happens when switching light On or Off.

Top Bottom