• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Teac AX-505 standby mode

curiouspeter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The standby behavior of this amp is most annoying. It goes to sleep after 30 minutes, which is good.

However, it will not wake up automatically. I have to push a button or turn a knob on the unit or the remote.

Should I just disable the auto sleep? How much energy does standby save? What about longevity of the components if I just leave the amp turned on all the time?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The only power specification(s) I could find is this. No idea what the quiescent idle consumption is. You could use a ammeter and measure it and then calculate the power and make a cost calculation based on your local electricity expense.
teac.png

OP
curiouspeter

curiouspeter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
NC252MP idling losses:
SMPS = 8.5 W
Amp = 3.5 W per channel
Total = 15.5 W

I know a manufacturer whose amplifers also wake up automatically ;)
Thanks! Although if I am to get new gear I might just go for the Lyngdorf TDAI-1120. Waking on LAN is easier to implement.

cbracer

Forum Donor
There is a difference between "sleep mode" and "standby mode". If the unit goes into standby, it will not auto on. But in normal sleep mode it will. So, the automatic power on function works when the "automatic power saving" (APS) function is set to OFF and the input source is digital such as USB, Bluetooth, COAXIAL or OPTICAL.
When this unit is shipped new from the factory, the automatic power saving function is set to ON. Seems stupid to me. On their ai-301 model sleep mode is 1.2 W while standby is 0.5W, though I would wast the 0.7W just to have auto power on!

Top Bottom