• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tannoy System 600 Speaker Review

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review of the Tannoy System 600 bookshelf speaker. It is rather old unit but since we have no Tannoy speakers in our database I thought it would be good to review. It is on kind loan from a member. I don't know what it cost when new.

The concentric driver sure looks weird:

Tannoy System 600 Speaker Review.jpg

It looks like it had a dust cap which was ripped out (but is not).

Funny bit is that when I was test it from some 6 feet away at high SPL, I was getting a strong breeze on my cheeks from the front ports! It also produced audible secondary tones during speaker sweeps.

Measurements that you are about to see were performed using the Klippel Near-field Scanner (NFS). This is a robotic measurement system that analyzes the speaker all around and is able (using advanced mathematics and dual scan) to subtract room reflections (so where I measure it doesn't matter). It also measures the speaker at close distance ("near-field") which sharply reduces the impact of room noise. Both of these factors enable testing in ordinary rooms yet results that can be more accurate than anechoic chamber. In a nutshell, the measurements show the actual sound coming out of the speaker independent of the room.

All measurements are reference to tweeter axis with the grill removed. Frequency resolution is 0.7 Hz (yes, less than 1 Hz) and plots are at 20 points/octave. Spatial 3-D resolution is 1 degree.

Nearly1000 points around the speaker were measured (from 20 to 20 kHz) which resulted in well under 1% error in identification of the sound field until about 16 kHz. Error then rose up to 2% at 20 kHz. Final database of measurements and data is 1.4 Gigabytes in size.

In order to speed up the publication of these reports, this review is somewhat abbreviated. Full data is enclosed though.

Spinorama Audio Measurements
Acoustic measurements can be grouped in a way that can be perceptually analyzed to determine how good a speaker can be used. This so called spinorama shows us just about everything we need to know about the speaker with respect to tonality and some flaws:

Taonnoy System 600 Spinorama CEA2034 Speaker Measurements.png

I don't need to tell you that this is a very poor response. There is a huge suck out at the crossover frequency as the two drivers don't overlap properly. We also have peaking prior to that dip and general mismatch to higher frequencies. In essence, no measurement seems to have been used to optimize this design.

Predicted in-room response is therefore awful:

Tannoy System 600 Estimated In-Room Response.png

Here is the impedance measurement:

Tannoy System 600 Impedance and Phase.png

Speaker Distortion Measurements
I dedicated a couple of days to bettering the distortion measurements. First and foremost, I used the Klippel compensation system to produce anechoic distortion measurements from in-room! This means I can now show full spectrum of the distortion down to 20 Hz without any room modes or reflections messing up the display. It is not as useful in this instance but will be when we measure subwoofers.

Second bit was a suggestion by a member to also measure distortion at higher voltage. Up until now, I have only shown that at 2.83 volts at the speaker terminal. Now I am also measuring at four times that (around 10 volts). Here are the results:

Tannoy System 600 Harmonic distortion (relative).png

Tannoy System 600 Harmonic distortion (relative) 10 volt.png

We see that the level sensitive distortion is at lower frequencies. The rest are not scaling that much with level although there are differences.

Eye-candy Speaker Measurements
Because of the concentric driver, vertical and horizontal axis are quite similar. Similarly bad that is due to that suck out which you can clearly see in these graphs:

Taonnoy System 600 Horizontal Contour Audio Measurements.png

Taonnoy System 600 Vertical Contour Audio Measurements.png

Speaker Listening Tests
No time as the big pile of speakers waiting to be reviewed is threatening to fall on me....

Conclusions
The Tannoy System 600 seems to have been designed based on ideas and principals, as opposed to verification with measurements. I am sure someone will educate me about the genius behind this design. The data shows the speaker to be highly colored and really not something you want to put in your system.

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

I was looking at my paypal balance on the computer today when my wife was walking by a floor down commented: "you seem to not have taken in enough donations!" You know how it is when the wife comments on something as she walks by. It is as good as gold. So please donate NOW using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

mac

Forum Donor
Thanks Amir. I have used these on stands away from wall surfaces. Perhaps this is why I haven't noticed the driver level mismatches, but that suck out at the crossover point looks like a problem.

However these are decent sounding speakers, IMO. Perhaps the smooth response of the drivers and relatively low distortion numbers contribute to my listening experience.

Last edited:

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
What in the world.

One can’t help but think the mid/tweet are not wired in the correct polarity (not blaming anyone). At least on first glance. I’ll have to look more to see if there’s another explanation but ... Yeesh.

Thanks for the review.

laudio

Drivers are not level matched as well... Would be interesting to see the crossover schematic.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Before anyone suggests it; if the driver polarity was swapped you would get a peak almost as eggregious as this null. If the drivers were perfectly out of phase, the null would be deeper. This is just a bad crossover design.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
While I wonder if the level issue and therefore to some extent the magnitude of the midrange dip is caused by dried up ferrofluid in the tweeter motor, that midrange dip is also found in other contemporary Tannoys. Here's the listening window measurement from one of my old Tannoy NFM 8 II's after I cleaned out and recharged the ferrofluid. That speaker is from the step up series. It has a larger (8") coax and a more innovative cabinet construction. Lumps and bumps below 800Hz are due to measurement conditions.

NFM 8 II LW sn 24128M.png

Last edited:

Putter

Forum Donor
https://www.fullcompass.com/common/files/2709-System600SpecSheet.pdf

According to their specs it's 52 Hz – 20 kHz ±3dB, measured at 1m in an anechoic chamber. My guesstimate is that this sample measures (52 Hz – 18 kHz) ±7dB referenced to an 85 db level. What's also interesting is that these are advertised as studio monitors.

What's also interesting is that it gets 5 of 5 stars from 5 reviews on audioreview.com. The reviews are sprinkled with comments like (have to be powered by a flat, professional power amp, have to be in a very well acousticly treated room) (I had a problem with a lack of treble.Then I changed cables to VdH 102& VdH cs122. Now it`s a different story) (for home use you may want a more forgiving loudspeaker.)

Francis Vaughan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I can't help but feel something is busted here. Maybe more than one thing. A bad crossover cap could shift the tweeter response up enough to exacerbate problems at the crossover. But that peak of distortion at about 300Hz is just plain odd. And the second time we have seen something like that.

In principle Amir could pull the driver and run a batch of driver tests with the Klippel system - which would probably isolate any driver related issue. Then again, no doubt Klippel want another small bag of gold for the software licenses, and such testing is both time consuming and not really core business here. (Which is a pity, enquiring minds and all that.) The Klippel will find nasties like voice coil rubbing.

Last edited:

Mawclaw

Forum Donor
Is this another example of a broken sample? The response can't have gotten past the entire company imo.

DeeJay

Second bit was a suggestion by a member to also measure distortion at higher voltage. Up until now, I have only shown that at 2.83 volts at the speaker terminal. Now I am also measuring at four times that (around 10 volts).

IHMO, measuring distortions at the same SPL would be more fair and meaningful than at 10 volts for the couple of reasons.

1. If you are trying several speakers at your home you would naturally listen at the same loudness and not applied voltage.
2. Designing a speaker/driver is full of compromises, so designing a high sensitivity one has same drawbacks that designer is aware of but (potentially) should have lower distortions. By comparing them to low sensitivity speakers at the same applied voltage is unfair.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Shouldn't distortion over 1% through a big part of the frequency range be clearly audible? Not sure what the SPL at that level would be, but I bet it wouldn't sound very nice. Roughly what watts would 10 volts equal and can anybody give an approximation of the SPL?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
IHMO, measuring distortions at the same SPL would be more fair and meaningful than at 10 volts for the couple of reasons.
I agree but that requires more work and licensing cost to do....

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Roughly what watts would 10 volts equal and can anybody give an approximation of the SPL?
Power = voltage * voltage /impedance. The impedance varies here but using 5 ohm, the power would be 100/5 = 20 watts.

SPL increase would be 12 dB.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Power = voltage * voltage /impedance. The impedance varies here but using 5 ohm, the power would be 100/5 = 20 watts.

SPL increase would be 12 dB.
Interesting. I was literally just listening to some EDM at a sustained 20 watts (according to the big blue meters). It was very loud, but also, very clean, IMO. My speakers, while rated at 8 ohms, are perhaps more realistically 5. So exactly your approximation of the Tannoys.

However, I tend to agree with @DeeJay. Could you not level match pink noise at, say, 100 dB, and then run the test at that power level?

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
I can't help but feel something is busted here. Maybe more than one thing. A bad crossover cap could shift the tweeter response up enough to exacerbate problems at the crossover. But that peak of distortion at about 300Hz is just plain odd. And the second time we have seen something like that.

In principle Amir could pull the driver and run a batch of driver tests with the Klippel system - which would probably isolate any driver related issue. Then again, no doubt Klippel want another small bag of gold for the software licenses, and such testing is both time consuming and not really core business here. (Which is a pity, enquiring minds and all that.) The Klippel find find nasties like voice coil rubbing.

Not to toot my own horn but...
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-review-website-using-klippel-products.11761/

If the owner of these speakers wants to send them (or one) to me at some point then I would be willing to do some individual driver testing. But, to find out if the speaker is messed up the other should be tested first; if both show the same issue(s) then there's no point in measuring the raw driver to find out if it's a driver issue or not unless you guys just want to know more about the drive unit design (which is something I'm always interested in, personally)

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer

1. If you are trying several speakers at your home you would naturally listen at the same loudness and not applied voltage.
2. Designing a speaker/driver is full of compromises, so designing a high sensitivity one has same drawbacks that designer is aware of but (potentially) should have lower distortions. By comparing them to low sensitivity speakers at the same applied voltage is unfair.

Amir wasn't talking about replacing his lower level voltage test. Just adding to it.

But I don't think a 10v test or any other voltage-based test is the right method. We don't listen based on voltage level. We listen based on output. Therefore, if Amir is to do further multi-level non-linear distortion testing then I recommend sticking with the basis for which we listen: dB. This has come up in other threads but I'll restate it anyway. Distortion at 90dB and 96dB at 1m equivalent. 102dB would be an optional test if you want to push things a bit more. Many have been doing this for years and it's been pretty well accepted in the DIY audio community as a reasonable set of tests. For example, see here:
https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/driveunits/audiofrog_gb25/

Last edited:
Top Bottom