• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SVS subwoofers

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
What’s not to like?
- Most models were already tested using CEA2010A.
- Both sealed and ported versions available.
- You can purchase based on size or output.
- Great warranty and support, based on community feedback.
- They are constantly innovating, and launching new models yearly.

I have HSU sub myself, but SVS was 2nd on my list. HSU gave me more db/$ at the time of purchase.
I'd add the fact they have a full 180 degree adjustable phase dial rather than the typical crude binary switch. This proved integral to dialing in the alignment of my SB1000.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd add the fact they have a full 180 degree adjustable phase dial rather than the typical crude binary switch. This proved integral to dialing in the alignment of my SB1000.

Do all SVS subs have (had) this feature?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Considering mine is the cheapest model they make I would hope so!

Just don't remember that always being a feature and they've used a variety of amps over the years.....but haven't really looked lately....assume the ones with the relatively good on-board dsp this would be an option, tho. Good on them if they do have this in each model now, tho....

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Having said that, not all content would make any discrepancy obvious to most ears.

Also, the dip around the XO point that a 6ms misalignment in the direct sound will cause may be largely swamped by reflections in-room. My view is that the delay per se is not going to be audible - unless it shows up in the steady-state amplitude response.

Moreover, 6ms is also about half a wavelength at 80Hz. So flipping the phase of the sub c. 180° will mostly compensate for the misalignment in the amplitude response of the direct sound (notwithstanding 1-2dB of ripple).

Not a perfect or even elegant solution, but generally good enough IMHO.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My sb-2000s have the phase alignment dial. Also there are multiple ways to compensation for time delay between subs and main speakers depending on your systems capabilities. If you have an integrated AMP with bass output or bass management you would use the integrated amp. If you have room compensation software and PEQ software something like Dirac or Audyssey, these will handle it with setting delays. If you have a simple amplifier and you are going to use the speaker level terminals then you use the phase dial to "dial in" the sub phase to match the speakers.

Someone else posted this resource on ASR and I have used it previously as a guide for dialing in sub room correction and delay manually.

http://soundoctor.com/whitepapers/subs.htm

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
SVS seems to make a good product with good CS though you do pay for that on the sticker.

Since they've been mentioned, Rythmik offers a true linear delay control rather than an adjustable phase, making dialing things in easier.

This is not used though with room correction such as Audyssey XT32.

MuseIcal

I'm a little late to this party....

I have a SVS SB12-NSD in a medium to small room (14X17) and it's more than enough low end for me and my tastes.
I'm not a 'basshead' but I do like to feel the bass as well as hear it.

https://www.svsound.com/products/sb12-nsd

This may sound odd; what makes the SVS sub so good is the SVS customer service. They stood beside me before and after the sale.

You'll be in good company with SVS.

Good luck with your search!

Corock

I have two PB13-Ultras and really like them. I use them for HT mainly as their ported design allows them to go quite low. They were replaced in my music system by the 21" sealed DIY sub in my avatar. I did have an issue where the gain seemed to jump up a level on one of them. I used to have them both set at 50% and they measured similar. I ended up blowing one of the drivers and it turned out it was outputting at a much higher level than the other at 50% on the gain. It was out of warranty but SVS was easy to deal with to purchase a replacement driver. That sub now has its gain set closer to 37% while the other remains at 50%.

Last edited:

Vasr

Major Contributor
I am curious as to what practical difference there really is between say the Rhytmik, SVS and HSU Research subs in the same price class. Is this just a Seagate vs WD like thing?

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd say there are more differences than in hard drives these days.

There are differences in the measured frequency responses (linearity, extension) among these brands that account for audible differences. There are also different levels of headroom and max SPL. Then there are different amp controls that allow more or less flexibility in integration into different systems. There are differences in build quality and long-term reliability. Finally, there are different finish options.

Vasr

Major Contributor
I'd say there are more differences than in hard drives these days.

There are differences in the measured frequency responses (linearity, extension) among these brands that account for audible differences. There are also different levels of headroom and max SPL. Then there are different amp controls that allow more or less flexibility in integration into different systems. There are differences in build quality and long-term reliability. Finally, there are different finish options.

Hard drives have difference in number of platters, MTBF, rotation speed, dampening technology, cache efficacy, packaging size, color of logo, heat generation, power saving features, optimizations for reliability vs speed, etc. If you look at them close enough. But none of them really matter all that much for intended use. Just like all of the above. You are just confirming my hypothesis. :)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hard drives have difference in number of platters, MTBF, rotation speed, dampening technology, cache efficacy, packaging size, color of logo, heat generation, power saving features, optimizations for reliability vs speed, etc. If you look at them close enough. But none of them really matter all that much for intended use. Just like all of the above. You are just confirming my hypothesis. :)

So it just depends on the level of detail the consumer is aware of (more than I knew about hard drives just in what you posted)....but generally agree that choosing a good sub from these vendors is hard to go wrong with....

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Right – in a computer system you aren't going to see logos or any of that stuff. All of that boils down to two things: 1) performance and 2) reliability. Hard drives, especially solid state which I've been running for almost 12 years, are more alike than different these days. You are much more likely to notice a difference between subs than a difference between hard drives.

Speed is like max output.

But I'm not aware of an analogy for frequency response that results in different sound to our ears.

Vasr

Major Contributor
But I'm not aware of an analogy for frequency response that results in different sound to our ears.

Disk drives have acoustic measurements as well and there are significant differences and at different price points. :)

But seriously, different vendors have different philosophies on trade-offs for latency vs data integrity, small writes vs large sustained writes, tolerance to sudden power-offs, etc., which does make measurable difference in use depending on the context of use. Enterprise drives and NAS drives, for example, are tuned differently than desktop drives.

But the point is whether one is going to replace one with another and think they really make a difference when listening to audio content (not looking at measurement curves like folks down here) within the same price class. I doubt it.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But the point is whether one is going to replace one with another and think they really make a difference when listening to audio content (not looking at measurement curves like folks down here) within the same price class. I doubt it.
I don't doubt it. I'll always prefer the sub with deeper extension. Rythmik has known that for a long time :)

Vasr

Major Contributor
I don't doubt it. I'll always prefer the sub with deeper extension. Rythmik has known that for a long time :)

Done any double-blind tests lately on being able to differentiate with a little less deeper extension? :)

Top Bottom