• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Susvara vs HE1000se (vs Stealth)

tomtrp

I haven't heard susvara, but arya and ananda were beyond terrible and devoid of any midrange and treble resolution. My IEMs have 100x better special effects. I highly doubt Susvara is better.
First these headphones all have very poor isolation so I hope you listen them in a quite situation otherwise spatial quality is hidden by the ambient noise. Out of box the tonality of arya and ananda is indeed problematic but that can be fixed by PEQ(plus some fine adjustments to individual's ears through sine sweep) as noted in Amir's review and my personal experience. You are right that frequency response is a key factor in having good spatial effects but it is necessary but not sufficient. Actually the tuning of Arya Ananda sacrifices tonality to the percepiton of wider soundstage which is the experience of many people. You also need other designs, for example big driver or special cup designs or angled driver to increase the amount of pinna interaction, see rtings PRTF model for ''passive soundstage', this also noted by Amir in some other headphones with good spatial qualities.
All in all, it is perfectly OK you don't like these headphone but that does not mean that people who like these headphones are stupid or lack of knowledge. People just have different ears.
For me, I just have fun optimizing headphones using PEQ and I don't care about brand or price at all(cheap or expensive.)And my experience agrees with many people here that Ananda and Arya are good performer with PEQ. And spatial quality is correlated with both frequency response and other designs to increase pinna interaction(angled drivers, large planar driver, special cup designs like HD800s.) Also spatial quality is content dependent.

riffmaker

Great. I came to this forum to escape the “I can here 100% more ooziness”-kind of reviews and here I am reading 3 page argument anout who understands graphs better :D And yet I haven’t learnt anything because every party claims that everything the other party claims is wrong. Might as well go back to head-fi…

Galliardist

Major Contributor
Great. I came to this forum to escape the “I can here 100% more ooziness”-kind of reviews and here I am reading 3 page argument anout who understands graphs better :D And yet I haven’t learnt anything because every party claims that everything the other party claims is wrong. Might as well go back to head-fi…
I read this as you are asking people here for a "better" subjective review, or to work out what you will hear from the numbers. It won't happen.

I don't have any experience of the headphones under discussion (I have heard the original HE1000 but I doubt it counts). I'm just going to refer you to the prefix to the reviews here...

Note: The measurements you are about to see are made using a standardized Gras 45C. Headphone measurements by definition are approximate and variable so don't be surprised if other measurements even if performed with the same fixtures as mine, differ in end results. Protocols vary such as headband pressure and averaging (which I don't do). As you will see, I confirm the approximate accuracy of the measurements using Equalization and listening tests. Ultimately headphone measurements are less exact than speakers mostly in bass and above a few kilohertz so keep that in mind as you read these tests. If you think you have an exact idea of a headphone performance, you are likely wrong!

The likely general performance of these headphones can be worked out from the measurements but no more. So if you take your current headphones, listen to them as they are, and then EQ them to an approximation of the Harman curve, then reduce the bass from there to mach Susvara, you can work out for yourself whether Susvara or Stealth is more likely to suit you in general terms.

At the end of the day, though, the only way to be sure of any headphone is to get them on your head and listen to your preferred music at your preferred volume.. Comfort, the effect of your pinna, your electronics all play a role. The answer to your question may in fact be "none of the above" and it may be best to choose from those you can get to audition rather than those whose reviews look good.

Knowing how things measure, what you are most likely to prefer, and the pitfalls and distortion of various models can keep you away from dud and unsuitable headphones. You can't "rely on your ears" without knowing them closely first though. You have to make a subjective choice at the end of the day, but make shre you know the pitfalls, avoid the snake oil and choose from the worthy.

If you can EQ, its still good to get something close to work from, as far as I can see, and look for good distortion measurements as they appear to mean that you can apply more EQ as needed.

Good luck.

OP
edahl

edahl

I have the HE1k V2 and have the Stealth on order.
As soon as i receive and can do a reasonable comparison, i will post my findings
I
Did you get the Stealth?

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm having Susvara currently on loan to compare with Stealth.
And Susvara already landed in the box...
To my ears and my music choices I prefer Stealth - but keep in mind that I'm not using any EQ. So listened only @ stock tuning.

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Forum Donor
I'm having Susvara currently on loan to compare with Stealth.
And Susvara already landed in the box...
To my ears and my music choices I prefer Stealth - but keep in mind that I'm not using any EQ. So listened only @ stock tuning.
I can no longer edit post so I'm posting small follow-up.

For giggles I tried EQ'ing susvara to harman. Got eq values from orotory: https://www.dropbox.com/s/77xp4wrohjgwqzq/Hifiman Susvara.pdf?dl=0

And still I prefer Stealth. Stealth sound is clearer, more separated. There is more space between notes.
Susvara feels more diffused/blurred/distorted or whatever you want to call it.
Also highs/symbols on Susvara has more of that tsss sound rather than more real sounding tang on Stealth, Dan explaining this here:
Dan Clark Audio EXPANSE Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions 4:46 mark

One more time amazing work @Dan Clark thank you for such masterpiece.
Someday I have to try Expanse ;)

Bow_Wazoo

I own the Stealth for about two weeks now
(coming from V2)

20221216_140243.jpg

In the meantime, I have completed about 60 hours of listening and would like to report my impression. The comparison to the HE-1000 V2 is from memory.
I have used the V2 intensively in the last days, weeks and months. Therefore my memory is fresh. The V2 has burned itself into my brain.

1. Is the HE-1000 Stealth a HE-1000 (including HE-1000 magic)? YES!
2. Is the Stealth an upgrade, compared to the V2? Yes!
3. Does it sound like the Arya Stealth? No!
4. Does it punch significantly harder? Yes!
5. Das it more speed and resolution? Yes!

The Stealth sounds more realistic, more adult. Timbre is more authentic. Yes, it sounds more intimate. I feel that is a positive. I found the V2's stage too diffuse. Imaging and positioning are more precise on the Stealth.

For me, the Stealth is clearly the best HE-1000.

Here are the technical data in comparison:

20221224081911_1186079.jpg

screenshot20221224082246samsung-internet_1186080.jpg

I have had a lot of headphones in my possession
(HE-1000 V2, HE6SE V2, HE-400i, PM2, TH Ebony, Nightowl, D7200/9200, Elegia, Stellia, Clear MG, D8000, SR-L507, Heddphone, Utopia, LCD-Mobius, PX-7, P9, LCD-5, LCD-X, LCD-i3/i4, Solaris SE/2020, Legend X, SR007/009S, Empyrean, DT-1990, Arya V2/V3, KSE1200, Aeon Flow open 2)

But the two HE-1000 are my absolute favorites. Whereby the Stealth is clearly in first place.
And since Hifiman has lowered the price to 2000 €, the competition is practically chanceless for me.

My preset (based on Oratory's v2)

Screenshot_20221220_171016_Neutron_Player.jpg
Screenshot_20221220_171044_Neutron_Player.jpg

Adjust band 2 for bass

PS.
I will promptly make an a/b comparison with the Susvara.

EDIT:
oh, I think here is the misunderstanding.
I thought this was about the Hifiman HE-1000 Stealth! But apparently the DCA Stealth is meant. Anyway, I'll just leave my post.

Last edited:

Bow_Wazoo

Today it finally happened.
At a retailer in Cologne, i had the opportunity to compare the Susvara with the HE-1000 V2 Stealth.
The session lasted about two and a half hours.

20230113_115809.jpg
20230113_121517.jpg

Equipment:
DAC: Topping E50
AMP: Topping A90D.
Player: S21 with Neutron Player.

Both headphones were adjusted according to Oratory's Harman settings and set to the same volume using a sound level meter.

I've heard the following bands:
"Alison Krauss and the Union Station - Paper Airplane",
"Bonobo - Black Sands",
"Dr. Dre - 2001",
"Elektrochemie LK - Gold",
and various other tracks.

In terms of wearing comfort, what I suspected has been confirmed: the pads of the Sus are not as deep as those of the HE-1000V2.
As a result, like many other headphones, I touched the magnets with my ears.
This is actually a deal breaker for me. Therefore the point of wearing comfort goes to the HE-1000 V2.

But let's get to the most important thing, namely the sound. I will anticipate some things.
Is the Susvara the holy grail? No!
Will i buy it? No!
My winner is: HE-1000V2 Stealth.

The Susvara has a different character than the HE-1000V2 Stealth. The Sus is extremely airy and high-res. Which are very positive characteristics to the next. However, as is well known, the coin has two sides. Due to its airiness, it lacks a "stable foundation" in the low frequency range. At least in direct comparison with the Stealth, the bass seems relatively powerless and gentle (it reminds me of the typical DCA sound).
At any volume, by the way. Not that anyone gets the idea that the A90D doesn't have enough power. I usually hit high volume at 80-85. Ultra clean. No trace of distortion.

Although the Sus is clearly superior to the Stealth in terms of resolution and transparency, the Stealth manages to appear more authentic, even more "grown up".
It seems more multifaceted, while the Sus sinks into a certain "superficiality" of the treble.
Although both were set almost identically by the FR, mind you. Some of my words sound contradictory, and what I have heard is also contradictory. Because as I said, despite the higher resolution and transparency, the Stealth realizes a more multifaceted overall picture with better layering, DESPITE the poorer transparency. Soundstage was similar on both. Positioning was slightly better with the Sus.
Incidentally, I've already had the experience with the LCD 5 that at some point a point is reached where even more resolution somehow has a negative effect. Nobody needs more resolution than Stealth delivers.

I suspect that out of 100 people the preference would be split 50/50. For gentle classical music or very smooth jazz, I would also prefer the Sus. For the rest clearly the Stealth.

It's really difficult to put this comparison into words, because on some tracks the Stealth seemed much more realistic, more authentic, more "mature", while on other tracks the Sus, with its unbelievable light-footedness and transparency, managed to make the Stealth sound a bit "lame".

Anyway, I like the Stealth better.
I wish the Sus was an upgrade.
Because I have no problem buying new headphones every few weeks (there are many testimonials here ).
But as I said, FOR ME the Stealth is the better headphone. I listen to a lot of EDM, Rock, Rap, and there I like the Stealth better with its energetic nature.
The Sus is filigree and tender.
More for soft and gentle music

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Maybe, for reading clarity and to ensure quoters, perhaps change 'Stealth' to 'HEK-stealth' for instance (when not wanting to type the actual brand/type designator) as a lot of people, after using a quote, might think it is about DCA stealth. The HE400SE 'Stealth', afterall also isn't called the 'Stealth' ;)
Sus most will understand.

Last edited:

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I own the HEKSE, the Edition XS, and until recently the Arya Stealth—Hifiman let me trade it up for the HEK Stealth for only the difference in cost. I’ve also had the Susvara in my possession for two months earlier this year.

The Susvara was quite remarkable when it came out—in 2016. Since then they carried forward a slew of new innovations to newer flagships, most notably the original oval pad design from the HEKv1. We’ve now seen it in the HEKv2, the Arya, Ananda, Edition XS, Audivina and now HEK Stealth—because it is simply by every imaginable criteria the better design over the Susvara’s round drivers.

They’ve also figured out a way to implement that Stealth magnet far more efficiently, with the HEKse and HEK Stealth with sensitivities of 96 and 93 respectively, compared to 83 with the Susvara. They’ve also substantially improved their previously notorious build quality—all the options I own are flawless.

And with this latest HEK Stealth, they brought up the low shelf by 5-6dB, compared to all their prior “flagships” (the bass response of the Susvara, being pre-Harman, is ridiculously anemic in the low end). This, along with taming the fatigue factor of the SE a bit, results in an overall tuning that is daringly close to the DCA Stealth in Harman compliance. In terms of detail retrieval, I can’t tell much difference between these and my HEKse—they’re both brilliant in this regard.

And as things should be as technology advances, they’re offering this astonishingly fine headphone for $1,399–since I got mine I haven’t touched my Utopias, Meze Elites, or even my HEKses. I do still listen to my Edition XS, as I think it is an equally remarkable headphone—arguably the best you can buy under $500.

This website has long championed Chinese DAC manufacturers such as SMSL, Topping and Gustard for offering the best measuring gear you can find at accessible prices. I think Hifiman is another Chinese alternative to the snooty European charlatans that should be equally championed for the extraordinary options they’ve brought to market in the last couple of years at honest price points. I would definitely be interested in seeing a head-to-head assessment of this HEK Stealth compared to the DCA Stealth, as I think they are likely quite comparable in sound quality and tuning, while the HEK Stealth costs nearly a third less, is a hell of a lot easier to drive, and at least for my head, more comfortable.

OP
edahl

edahl

I own the HEKSE, the Edition XS, and until recently the Arya Stealth—Hifiman let me trade it up for the HEK Stealth for only the difference in cost. I’ve also had the Susvara in my possession for two months earlier this year.

The Susvara was quite remarkable when it came out—in 2016. Since then they carried forward a slew of new innovations to newer flagships, most notably the original oval pad design from the HEKv1. We’ve now seen it in the HEKv2, the Arya, Ananda, Edition XS, Audivina and now HEK Stealth—because it is simply by every imaginable criteria the better design over the Susvara’s round drivers.

They’ve also figured out a way to implement that Stealth magnet far more efficiently, with the HEKse and HEK Stealth with sensitivities of 96 and 93 respectively, compared to 83 with the Susvara. They’ve also substantially improved their previously notorious build quality—all the options I own are flawless.

And with this latest HEK Stealth, they brought up the low shelf by 5-6dB, compared to all their prior “flagships” (the bass response of the Susvara, being pre-Harman, is ridiculously anemic in the low end). This, along with taming the fatigue factor of the SE a bit, results in an overall tuning that is daringly close to the DCA Stealth in Harman compliance. In terms of detail retrieval, I can’t tell much difference between these and my HEKse—they’re both brilliant in this regard.

And as things should be as technology advances, they’re offering this astonishingly fine headphone for $1,399–since I got mine I haven’t touched my Utopias, Meze Elites, or even my HEKses. I do still listen to my Edition XS, as I think it is an equally remarkable headphone—arguably the best you can buy under $500.

This website has long championed Chinese DAC manufacturers such as SMSL, Topping and Gustard for offering the best measuring gear you can find at accessible prices. I think Hifiman is another Chinese alternative to the snooty European charlatans that should be equally championed for the extraordinary options they’ve brought to market in the last couple of years at honest price points. I would definitely be interested in seeing a head-to-head assessment of this HEK Stealth compared to the DCA Stealth, as I think they are likely quite comparable in sound quality and tuning, while the HEK Stealth costs nearly a third less, is a hell of a lot easier to drive, and at least for my head, more comfortable.
I've fairly recently ended up with the DCA Stealth. Your comparisons are very interesting!

ImYmir

Is the HE1000 V2 Stealth really better than the HE1000SE? I bought the HE1000SE without doing too much research, but figured the SE should be better so I just bought it. Can you tell me a bit more what the differences are? I EQ my 1000SE to my liking and they sound absolutely fantastic and way better than my Hifiman Arya stealth, but what i'm missing is the bass. I actually like the Arya bass better, and on my LCD-X the bass is just nuts and blows both of them out of the water.

Bow_Wazoo

SE is more airy, wide, and relaxed.
HE-1000 Stealth is more punchy, edgy, and dynamic.

Best of two worlds: HE6SE

ImYmir

I'm trying to trade in my old Arya pair for some HE6SE v2 (v2 is better?). Then I'll have both the HE6SE and HE1000SE as my endgame.

leolight421

Is the HE1000 V2 Stealth really better than the HE1000SE? I bought the HE1000SE without doing too much research, but figured the SE should be better so I just bought it. Can you tell me a bit more what the differences are? I EQ my 1000SE to my liking and they sound absolutely fantastic and way better than my Hifiman Arya stealth, but what i'm missing is the bass. I actually like the Arya bass better, and on my LCD-X the bass is just nuts and blows both of them out of the water.
As i listened both of them at my home yesterday, as well as a lot more gear, i can tell you that SE sound bright and less bassy, but more airy, and hekv2 stealth, sounded perfect to me, hence i kept it. Bassy, mature, but sometimes a little bright. I want you to understand, after maybe about 500 euros, it comes not to "something better" but rather different, and I advise listen to as many as you can, and you'll have an idea of what you like and prefer.

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wouldn’t say better, I’d say both are terrific, for different tastes/genres/purposes. The original HEKse is one of the most resolving headphones I’ve ever heard—I always bristle a bit when folks refer to it as “90% of the Susvara” or some other promotional quip for one of the most overrated, excessively priced and outdated headphones on the planet—the Susvara was astonishing in 2016, but Hifiman has made huge technological strides since then, including figuring out how to implement that Stealth magnet without requiring a polonium-core nuclear reactor to get that nano-thin diaphragm to move.

The HEKse is every bit as resolving as a the Susvara, with a sensitivity of 96 vs a near-industry nadir of 83–and the larger oval pad drivers really afford a sense of circumaural imaging with truly peerless forgiveness of head placement. It’s just that for their early implementations of the Stealth magnet (the HEKse was the second), one of the ways it contributed significantly to a substantial increase in detail retrieval was by opening wide the frequencies above 10,000hz—and as such the Stealth sound has often been referred to as “bright”. Indeed, on certain tracks the HEKse can produce a bit of a fatigue factor. Also the HEKse was released prior to recent trends towards Harman compliance (a year before the final version of the curve), and as such it’s a bit flat in the sub bass (although it responds beautifully to bolstering the low end via a PEQ low shelf band).

In the last year, Hifiman has apparently caught on to the Stealth magnet brightness issue, because after refreshing the Arya, Edition XS and the Ananda with it last year, in short order they released the HEK Stealth, Arya Organic and Ananda Nano, all of which maintain the Stealth magnet but with a stronger bass emphasis and tamed highs. The difference in bass slam and fullness in the HEK Stealth compared to the HEKse is both audible and palpable, and I don’t find it fatiguing at all—but the attenuated highs inevitably reduce the clarity of detail by a small margin (a negligible one in my opinion).

So if you’re a classical or jazz enthusiast who doesn’t much prioritize the physicality and fun factor a more V-shaped, rock-friendly headphone can offer, and value the pinnacle of detailed, critical listening, then the HEKse is an ideal option. If your ears are more sensitive to brightness, or you value a more Harman-compliant, bass-forward and genre-versatile option, then the HEK Stealth is perhaps the better choice.

I own both, and since I mainly listen to rock and other modern genres, the HEK Stealth is without hyperbole my endgame headphone, and I still cannot believe I only paid $1,399 for a headphone that has led me to retire my Utopias and Meze Elites—I mean, how often do you get a deal paying full price for anything in this hobby? However, I still adore my HEKses, which have their own remarkable price point these daysa—and when I’m really in the mood for an orgy of detailed, critical listening, I still pull it out on occasion, and kick up the low end via the ASP bass boost on my amp.

If I were starting all over with my headphone collection, I would go with the HEK Stealth without a second thought. You cannot go wrong with either—and I do think the HEK Stealth has rendered the HEKV2 obsolete. I chose mine by auditioning several options via Amazon’s liberal return policy, and I encourage you to do the same! :)

ImYmir

I wouldn’t say better, I’d say both are terrific, for different tastes/genres/purposes. The original HEKse is one of the most resolving headphones I’ve ever heard—I always bristle a bit when folks refer to it as “90% of the Susvara” or some other promotional quip for one of the most overrated, excessively priced and outdated headphones on the planet—the Susvara was astonishing in 2016, but Hifiman has made huge technological strides since then, including figuring out how to implement that Stealth magnet without requiring a polonium-core nuclear reactor to get that nano-thin diaphragm to move.

The HEKse is every bit as resolving as a the Susvara, with a sensitivity of 96 vs a near-industry nadir of 83–and the larger oval pad drivers really afford a sense of circumaural imaging with truly peerless forgiveness of head placement. It’s just that for their early implementations of the Stealth magnet (the HEKse was the second), one of the ways it contributed significantly to a substantial increase in detail retrieval was by opening wide the frequencies above 10,000hz—and as such the Stealth sound has often been referred to as “bright”. Indeed, on certain tracks the HEKse can produce a bit of a fatigue factor. Also the HEKse was released prior to recent trends towards Harman compliance (a year before the final version of the curve), and as such it’s a bit flat in the sub bass (although it responds beautifully to bolstering the low end via a PEQ low shelf band).

In the last year, Hifiman has apparently caught on to the Stealth magnet brightness issue, because after refreshing the Arya, Edition XS and the Ananda with it last year, in short order they released the HEK Stealth, Arya Organic and Ananda Nano, all of which maintain the Stealth magnet but with a stronger bass emphasis and tamed highs. The difference in bass slam and fullness in the HEK Stealth compared to the HEKse is both audible and palpable, and I don’t find it fatiguing at all—but the attenuated highs inevitably reduce the clarity of detail by a small margin (a negligible one in my opinion).

So if you’re a classical or jazz enthusiast who doesn’t much prioritize the physicality and fun factor a more V-shaped, rock-friendly headphone can offer, and value the pinnacle of detailed, critical listening, then the HEKse is an ideal option. If your ears are more sensitive to brightness, or you value a more Harman-compliant, bass-forward and genre-versatile option, then the HEK Stealth is perhaps the better choice.

I own both, and since I mainly listen to rock and other modern genres, the HEK Stealth is without hyperbole my endgame headphone, and I still cannot believe I only paid $1,399 for a headphone that has led me to retire my Utopias and Meze Elites—I mean, how often do you get a deal paying full price for anything in this hobby? However, I still adore my HEKses, which have their own remarkable price point these daysa—and when I’m really in the mood for an orgy of detailed, critical listening, I still pull it out on occasion, and kick up the low end via the ASP bass boost on my amp.

If I were starting all over with my headphone collection, I would go with the HEK Stealth without a second thought. You cannot go wrong with either—and I do think the HEK Stealth has rendered the HEKV2 obsolete. I chose mine by auditioning several options via Amazon’s liberal return policy, and I encourage you to do the same! :)
Thank you so much for the information. I can trade in my Arya for the HE1000 Stealth and sell my HE1000SE if I do find the Stealth to be better, which now I think is very possible. Really my main issue is just the bass slam and simply the bass volume before distortion that I really do not like. I EQ all my headphones and I enjoy loud deep bass that can do it effortlessly. I recently got upgraded sheepskin pads for the Arya and they finally get loud enough, almost as good as Audeze LCD X, but now my HE1000SE destroys them in everything else. I would be in heaven if the He1000 stealth has as good or better bass as the Arya if anyone can answer that question. I never listen to classical music or anything similar to that, but after EQ with the HE1000SE, I find them really close to perfect (never heard something this good before). I am mostly only sensitive to the 3-4k hz range which reduce by 3-4db. This is where guitars can pierce my ears without EQ. The 1000 Stealth sounds like a very good deal, so I will probably go upgrade to it and then decide which one I will keep.

leolight421

Thank you so much for the information. I can trade in my Arya for the HE1000 Stealth and sell my HE1000SE if I do find the Stealth to be better, which now I think is very possible. Really my main issue is just the bass slam and simply the bass volume before distortion that I really do not like. I EQ all my headphones and I enjoy loud deep bass that can do it effortlessly. I recently got upgraded sheepskin pads for the Arya and they finally get loud enough, almost as good as Audeze LCD X, but now my HE1000SE destroys them in everything else. I would be in heaven if the He1000 stealth has as good or better bass as the Arya if anyone can answer that question. I never listen to classical music or anything similar to that, but after EQ with the HE1000SE, I find them really close to perfect (never heard something this good before). I am mostly only sensitive to the 3-4k hz range which reduce by 3-4db. This is where guitars can pierce my ears without EQ. The 1000 Stealth sounds like a very good deal, so I will probably go upgrade to it and then decide which one I will keep.
So, how it went? I have tried numerous headphones, but i agree hek v2S is way way above arya v3 in terms of everything, but LCDX had better bass, but keep in mind its better sealed so i think this was the point, try lcd 4 or 5, this should be the point(i didnt try them both yet, but i will)

Top Bottom