• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Survey: Is your mains-powered gear mostly 2-prong or mostly 3-prong?

Is the majority of your mains-powered HiFi gear 2-prong (safety class-II)?

• Yes

Votes: 42 41.2%
  • No

Votes: 60 58.8%

• Total voters

KSTR

Major Contributor
Hi,

Recently, contradicting opinions popped up whether the mains-powered gear we typically use in our HiFi/HT setups is mostly 2-prong (safety class-II, fully isolated) or 3-prong (safety class-I, earth-grounded).

To create a data snapshot, I'd like to ask users how the majority of their gear in current use is connected to the mains grid.

Some considerations:
  • if a device has a fixed mains cable, just look at its plug.
  • if a device has a detachable mains cable, look at the mains power inlet socket and count the pins. This because you can insert 3-prong mains cables into IEC Type C17 sockets which have only 2-pins but otherwise look the same like the normal C13 socket.
  • if a device is powered from an external mains supply like the typical wall-wart / brick, look at supply's power input as per above. Quite often this will be 2-prong supplies but there are exception (for example, some Notebook supplies).
  • if a device is USB-powered but USB is not used for data transfer (so, power only) it shall be assumed it is powered by your typical isolated USB charger, therefore 2-prong.

You can of course look up the safety class in the product manuals, or look on device's rating plate/sticker. When you see dual enclosing squares, it's 2-prong (class-II).
1649594905334.png

You may of course post details / numbers if you like, increasing the detail of the survey.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
All my gear has type G plugs.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Last edited:

clearnfc

Mixed mains plugs.

With "Balanced Power" via an Equitech 1.5RQ.

Opposed 60Vac on both Hot snd what was Neutral.

Hmm.. balanced power. I originally thought of the idea but decide against it for safety reasons. Have both wires being live is not such a good idea for me.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
All my gear are 3 CDN. Those my chargers for RPI and Airport and polarized.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Tie. NAD M10 and Purifi are Class I. RME ADI-2 FS B and miniDSP 2x4 HD are Class II. I'm currently not running my subs (room space) but when I do set them up, they'll be powered by Sunfire woofer monoblocks (Class 1) or an Adcom 555 (2 prong, maybe not certified).

Last edited:

Vini darko

Major Contributor
Of my 6 peices currently being used only one has safty ground in use. Majority of the spare pile in the other room is all double insulated too.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
There needs to be a 50/50 option.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Currently a Mix...
Denon AVR. the 5 x JBL LSR speakers, PJ, Blu Ray Player are 3-Prong
Apple tv 4K, 2 x subwoofers, several wall-wart Power supplies and .... the turntable :facepalm: (not played once for the past 3 years...) are 2-Prongs
It works and I have no hum in the system. keeping my fingers crossed.

Peace.

Geert

Major Contributor
contradicting opinions popped up whether the mains-powered gear we typically use in our HiFi/HT setups is mostly 2-prong (safety class-II, fully isolated) or 3-prong (safety class-I, earth-grounded).
Please note the context of this discussion; people buying power isolation/conditioning devices to improve the fidelity of their HiFi system (excluding fixing audible power issues). For this poll to be meaningful, the scope should be restricted to the type of components typically used by people going all the way to reach audio nirvana. Alternatively, the poll should have a second question: "do you consider investing in power conditioning to improve fidelity"?

kongwee

Major Contributor
A lot are 3. I know some are fake ground pin.Better than 2pin for grid.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Counting the gear where I've cut off the ground pin? :rolleyes:

pma

Major Contributor

solderdude

Grand Contributor
some class I some class II.
All of them are connected to a single 2 prong mains outlet.
Only my kitchen and laundry room have safety ground.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
some class I some class II.
All of them are connected to a single 2 prong mains outlet.
Only my kitchen and laundry room have safety ground.
That would really worry me, as then the stuff that should be grounded isn't.
I pretty much have the opposite. All my stuff is grounded, even the double insulated stuff if the box is metal. My double insulated stuff is all vintage, and I'm not happy about relying on 50 year old insulation or the standards of that time, so if the box is metal, it gets grounded.

S

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Never had any issues over the last 40 years I have been using (varying) equipment this way. Never had a GFCI trip either nor felt tingling when touching gear. I have always lived in older houses which do not have grounded outlets except for the kitchen.
Things like the kitchen and laundry room are grounded.
Almost all audio gear (except some USB DACs) is all home made and ensured it is completely safe.

But yes, there is a potential risk but there is always the GFCI breaker.

Lambda

Major Contributor
@KSTR
Most of my "hifi" gear is Class II like most typical hifi gear

Most of my "professional" gear is Class I but no of it has mains PE directly connected to Signal ground. everything has some sort of resistor diode combinations from Signal grund to PE (to allow for a view mV potential difference) and/or a "Ground lift" switch.

for safety reasons. Have both wires being live is not such a good idea for me.
Can you explain how this would be unsafe?! having halve the voltage sounds saver?

Last edited:
Top Bottom