• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Suggestions for bookshelf speaker and amp to pair to DX7 Pro

noberasco

Good morning,

sometime ago, I purchased a TOPPING DX7 Pro and paired it to a Focal Stellia.
Since then, I never felt the need to look for anything else where headphones are concerned :)
The Stellias were definitely out of my financial comfort zone, but it was a [I have covid - I may not be alive a month from now!] kind of purchase.
I'm now ready to move one step further and purchase a pair of (smallish, space is contrained here) bookshelf speakers.
They are for my home study, which is a small and most cramped room.
I will mostly use them to listen to music while I work or to watch late-evening movies, always at low volume levels.

After reading reviews and forum posts here, I'm thinking on the lines of:
- Topping PA5
- Elac DBR62

My questions:
- will I be able to use DX7 line out as PA5 input? [EDIT: yes, even with balanced cabling]
- is there any speaker that matches DBR62 sound quality with a smaller foorprint?

Note: I'm partial to dark wood-paneled speakers.

My max budget is about 1000 €.
Thank you in advance for your kind advice...

Last edited:

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Me, I would just go with self powered studio monitors, like a pair of JBL LSR306 units.
Run balanced cables from Topping to JBLs.
Maybe add a Monoprice subwoofer (connected between Topping and JBLs).

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Genelec almost any model that fits your room and budget. No amp required.

Marc v E

Major Contributor
Good morning,

sometime ago, I purchased a TOPPING DX7 Pro and paired it to a Focal Stellia.
Since then, I never felt the need to look for anything else where headphones are concerned :)
The Stellias were definitely out of my financial comfort zone, but it was a [I have covid - I may not be alive a month from now!] kind of purchase.
I'm now ready to move one step further and purchase a pair of (smallish, space is contrained here) bookshelf speakers.
They are for my home study, which is a small and most cramped room.
I will mostly use them to listen to music while I work or to watch late-evening movies, always at low volume levels.

After reading reviews and forum posts here, I'm thinking on the lines of:
- Topping PA5
- Elac DBR62

My questions:
- will I be able to use DX7 line out as PA5 input? [EDIT: yes, even with balanced cabling]
- is there any speaker that matches DBR62 sound quality with a smaller foorprint?

Note: I'm partial to dark wood-paneled speakers.

My max budget is about 1000 €.
Thank you in advance for your kind advice...
I have the dx7pro with Genelec 8030. To me it's the best value combo I've ever heard.

OP
N

noberasco

Thanks for all the suggestions!
Although I'm a bit surprised that no passive speakers were proposed...

Marc v E

Major Contributor
Thanks for all the suggestions!
Although I'm a bit surprised that no passive speakers were proposed...
Although I think the PA5 and Elac DBR62 will be very good, my experience is that a good powered monitor is just a better approach. (all imo of course). Less clutter, more value for money, well integrated.

OP
N

noberasco

Well, my wife (who is awesome) saw the PA5 on my Amazon card and ... ordered it for me :)
At this point, powered speakers go out of the equation, and original buget can all go towards a pair of passive speakers.
So ... Elac DBR62, or?
Is there any other equally (or better) sounding speaker, possibly wood-paneled, and possibly with a slighly smaller footprint?

OP
N

noberasco

What about Focal Aria 906?
They look just as good, are quite more compact, sound almost as good, and cost twice as much...

Top Bottom