• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dac/Amp question with Genelec Speakers.

MarioSH

Hello,

I'm just looking to understand a little how this works, I currently have Genelec 8020 speakers which have Built-In AMPs, and they're plugged to a Topping Dx7 Pro Dac/Amp.

So since the Genelecs have built-in AMPs, is my Dx7 Pro working only as a DAC for them? Would it be better (If any difference at all) to get a dedicated DAC for them?

Thank you.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Isn't the DX7 just a headphone amp, not a speaker amp? More acts as a dac/pre-amp if anything for your active speakers I'd think....

OP
M

MarioSH

Isn't the DX7 just a headphone amp, not a speaker amp? More acts as a dac/pre-amp if anything for your active speakers I'd think....

I had the DX7 Pro before the speakers, I used it as a Headphone Amp before. Which is why I'm interested in knowing if there's anything I should replace it with for a better experience with the Genelecs (And if it's worth it?). I rarely use headphones now a days.

The screen on the DX7 Pro says "Pre" so I'm guessing it's working as a Dac/Pre-Amp.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Which is why I'm interested in knowing if there's anything I should replace it with for a better experience with the Genelecs (And if it's worth it?)
No replacement DAC would be worth the investment. Your DX7Pro is already fully transparent.

Rather, consider investing in a UMIK-1 or in room treatment.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I had the DX7 Pro before the speakers, I used it as a Headphone Amp before. Which is why I'm interested in knowing if there's anything I should replace it with for a better experience with the Genelecs (And if it's worth it?). I rarely use headphones now a days.

The screen on the DX7 Pro says "Pre" so I'm guessing it's working as a Dac/Pre-Amp.
Can't see why changing from the current unit would be of any benefit....

Top Bottom