• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Desktop amp for my Arendal 1961 bookshelf

Vii

Hi there,

First of all, I'm new to the forum, I haven't seen a first post to check related thread, so if I'm doing something wrong I'm sorry!

I have a pair of Arendal 1961 Bookshelf speaker, and wanted some advices in desktop amps (and DAC) to use with the Arendals. It will be used with my Mac M1 through my CalDigit TS4 dock, all sitting on my desk.

After looking a bit on the web and on this forum, I found the following to be interesting:

- SMSL AL200: the only downside is the output power is slightly less than the 180W output recommended by Arendal. The bonus is it has DAC integrated so don't need one external

- Topping PA7 Plus: I may need an external DAC with that one, so budget wise its the bigger on the list. If a DAC is needed, I was thinking in the Arylic BP50.

- Fosi V3 with 48v power supply. Again here I'm, not sure I need a DAC. If a DAC is needed, the same Arylic BP50 for that one too.

What's your thoughts on the selection above?

Do you have any other recommendation that could work well?

Thanks!

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
What's the distance to the speakers in your listening position?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
WiiM Amp is just about to be released with an integrated and very good streamer, DAC and amplifier, all in one for 300 USD.

Soon on Amazon too.

Last edited:

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Hi there,

First of all, I'm new to the forum, I haven't seen a first post to check related thread, so if I'm doing something wrong I'm sorry!

I have a pair of Arendal 1961 Bookshelf speaker, and wanted some advices in desktop amps (and DAC) to use with the Arendals. It will be used with my Mac M1 through my CalDigit TS4 dock, all sitting on my desk.

After looking a bit on the web and on this forum, I found the following to be interesting:

- SMSL AL200: the only downside is the output power is slightly less than the 180W output recommended by Arendal. The bonus is it has DAC integrated so don't need one external

- Topping PA Plus: I may need an external DAC with that one, so budget wise its the bigger on the list. If a DAC is needed, I was thinking in the Arylic BP50.

- Fosi V3 with 48v power supply. Again here I'm, not sure I need a DAC. If a DAC is needed, the same Arylic BP50 for that one too.

What's your thoughts on the selection above?

Do you have any other recommendation that could work well?

Thanks!

They recommend "up to 180watt RMS into 4 ohm". I'm sure at 1 meter listening distance you will just fine with way less than that.

staticV3

Master Contributor
About 1.3m most of the time.
At 1.3m, and with a stereo pair and moderate room reinforcement, you're looking at about 85dB SPL/1W.

Arendal's recommendation of 180W would then give you almost 110dB SPL Peak, or about 95dB SPL AVG with mainstream music.

That's extremely loud.

For more sane levels, let's say 75dB SPL AVG (poll), you would need 3W per channel for mainstream music and 30W per channel for extremely dynamic orchestral or Jazz recordings.

OP
V

Vii

At 1.3m, and with a stereo pair and moderate room reinforcement, you're looking at about 85dB SPL/1W.

Arendal's recommendation of 180W would then give you almost 110dB SPL Peak, or about 95dB SPL AVG with mainstream music.

That's extremely loud.

For more sane levels, let's say 75dB SPL AVG (poll), you would need 3W per channel for mainstream music and 30W per channel for extremely dynamic orchestral or Jazz recordings.
So basically, any of the options I listed above are good enough?

OP
V

Vii

In terms of output power, yes.
Great to know then!

So in terms of audio quality, is anyone of the listed equipment above better? Or anything else to consider that I didn't added into the list?

I don't need something absolutely insane in terms of quality, but something that is pleasant and detailed enough for when I'm listening to music and working.

OP
V

Vii

WiiM Amp is just about to be released with an integrated and very good streamer, DAC and amplifier, all in one for 300 USD.

Soon on Amazon too.
How does it compare to the Fosi V4, PA7 plus or AL200? If had the chance to compare it

Top Bottom