• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Subwwofer for Focals

Leeder

Hello,
I have Focal Solo BE6 studio monitors and I would like to add a subwoofer to improve the bass and make the sound more complete. Apart from the Focal brand itself, I would like to find something used that was compatible and could work with similar sound quality. Any suggestions?

Thanks and regards.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello. Give this one a try.

How are you planning to do the cross-over?

Anthony LoFi

Hi Leeder, I take it your choice of speakers is for some form of "studio use" rather than pure hifi !
Before jumping into a big dollar purchase you may want to consider my experience.
I am using a Car Stereo 12" Sub in a plywood box powered by a car audio amp with a 12v DC - 230V Supply.
Works a treat but lets keep it a secret between us. My ASR rating will take a dive if it become public knowledge.

I use a small set up using Tannoy DMT 8 Monitors with a Hypex NC 252 (DIY) and a miniDSP 2X4HD.
My source is an Avid Rack 3 in conjunction with a dedicated macmini as a mixer/streamer/player.
I have used REW with the 2X4HD to do the crossover with the sub and room and speaker variations.
Really happy with the balance Im getting and when re-measured with REW has a fairly flat response down to about 32Hz.

I guess my point is you can get quite good value using entry level components, learn how to fully take advantage of REW and other components to experiment with you own room/system to get a good outcome.

Im now with my new knowledge planning to purchase a good sub (Neumann/Genelec) second hand at my lesuire while still enjoying the listening experience. I have borrowed a SVS SB1000 and found it was better after a days worth of cross-over work and more FIR filters than my home made sub with I think louder overall performance (headroom) but then my room created low frequency problems.
So still happy with my cheapo until I can find a high quality replacement made for critical listening.
Just a suggestion.

OP
L

Leeder

Thanks for the responses and the advice. I have the monitors and I use them exclusively to listen to music and in the absence of the sub I am satisfied with the sound quality. But I want to add a sub to balance the frequencies.

Top Bottom