• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

subwoofer choosing.

Χ Ξ Σ

Forum Donor
I always thought so, too.

But then there are so many posts with measurements of harmonics appearing below the fundamental tone.

Perhaps it's only in electronics that harmonics go both ways, which makes sense.

In any case, I always advocate for lower extension because even if you only expect 27.5 Hz (which by the way, the Adam sub has already started rolling off before that so you won't get a really powerful note there) it will play louder and cleaner at that frequency.
I see what you mean. Those on the left side are mostly noise. They come from the circuits and are unrelated to the input signal.
Another good thing about the LSR310S is that it has a 200W amp, whereas T10S is at 130W, Sub 8 160W, HS-8S 150W. Using two of them doubles the power. Putting a sub in the corner also yield 9dB room gain thanks to the three surfaces. Really any one of these has enough power for near-field listening.
But I do agree that an excellent sub should have some "tail-room" in its frequency response.

Last edited:

win

Too often the dual sub vs single sub comes up, and it isn't a blanket statement. It only works, as a blanket statement, if you are comparing a single sub vs. the same model dual subs (or equally capable dual subs). So a single svs sb-2000 vs. dual svs sb-2000 subs. Then two is better. But a single svs sb-4000 will probably outperform a dual svs sb-1000 if placed appropriately and eq'd.

I'd rather have two $100 subwoofers than one $2000 subwoofer if I had to pick.

Jdunk54nl

Addicted to Fun and Learning

To each their own. I’d welcome your recommendation of a decent $100 sub.

I don’t know of a $100 sub that will play nicely to and below 20hz. The cheapest option I’ve found that can do that, and do it with some authority, is the ultimax 18. Some others can reach 20hz, but it is sharp roll off that usually starts well before that or a crazy amount of distortion to do it.

Jdunk54nl

If they did mean $1000 and not $100. At the $1000 price range, you’re already getting a lot of sub (that would be dual svs sb-3000’s). I’d do dual for that too. There is definitely a diminishing returns for better subs and once you’re really beyond the ~$700 range you’re near the top and don’t gain a whole lot more from single subs for “normal” rooms. So dual ,well performing, subs there will probably be better.

But that isn’t what I was really referring to. With the OP’s budget of around $800 the better example would be this:

If we stick with svs for simplicity, we are talking a dual svs 1000 ($500 each) vs a single svs 2000 ($800) or svs 3000 ($1000). The jump from the 1000 series to 2000 series is pretty decent for that lower octave. From Cea-2010 results (Brent Butterworths data) it looks to be about 5-6db for 20hz and 16hz. The 3000 should perform even better and extend lower with more power and a bigger woofer.

Based on that, I would go for the 2000 or 3000 for their 20hz and lower extension (or probably another brand at the $600-$700 range). But I know my room and placement options and a single works well for me.

Different room or placement options and that could all change easily.

Tl/dr
The dual vs single isn’t a blanket statement, but after ~$700 subs (this seems to be about the cost for most REALLY well performing subs) it starts being more true than not. Under ~$700 and it’s a toss up between dual and single.

Last edited:
OP
S

sotiridaf

Hi again,

i don't want to have 2 sub-woofers and i don't have space for them.

I am looking for something that it won't lower sound quality of my speakers.

What about Presonus Temblor T10 ?

How important is phase switch on a sub ?

Can you also explain to me what cut off filter is ?

Thank you

Jdunk54nl

I think you can get a lot more for your money if you look beyond SVS. Not going to trash talk their subs, but they are overpriced for what they are.

Agreed. I’d go Hsu research or Rythmik before svs. I was just using them as an example because they are a more known brand and could illustrate the point.

Jdunk54nl

Hi again,

Thank you

Cut off filter is the low pass filter for the subs. Google low pass filter and you’ll find out plenty on it.

You also mentioned things not available here. Where is here?
And do you need xlr input and if so why?

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

There aren't two $100 subwoofers that would perform well in my 600 sq ft room due to lack of SPL. But even one of my PSA 15" ported subs does. :D

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi again,

Thank you

We need a lot more information:

What is your budget? Where can you buy from?

What speakers are you using?

What are you connecting the speakers to?

For what? Music, movies, gaming?

Are there any size limitations?

Are you a basshead? :)

Jdunk54nl

We need a lot more information:

What is your budget? Where can you buy from?

What speakers are you using?

What are you connecting the speakers to?

For what? Music, movies, gaming?

Are there any size limitations?

Are you a basshead? :)

He has answered some of those but we do need more info, especially location so we know not to suggest subs he can't get.

He has these speakers: Genelec 8030C
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/8030CPM--genelec-8030c-5-inch-powered-studio-monitor

He was looking at the adam sub8 which costs ~$900, so I am assuming that is roughly his budget.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Sub8--adam-audio-sub8-8.5-inch-powered-studio-subwoofer

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
He has answered some of those but we do need more info, especially location so we know not to suggest subs he can't get.

He has these speakers: Genelec 8030C
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/8030CPM--genelec-8030c-5-inch-powered-studio-monitor

He was looking at the adam sub8 which costs ~$900, so I am assuming that is roughly his budget.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Sub8--adam-audio-sub8-8.5-inch-powered-studio-subwoofer

Sorry. I sort of skipped from the beginning to the end of the discussion.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
I will disagree with that.

Too often the dual sub vs single sub comes up, and it isn't a blanket statement. It only works, as a blanket statement, if you are comparing a single sub vs. the same model dual subs (or equally capable dual subs). So a single svs sb-2000 vs. dual svs sb-2000 subs. Then two is better. But a single svs sb-4000 will probably outperform a dual svs sb-1000 if placed appropriately and eq'd.

*Edit to add*
I know in my house, I have a single sweet spot in my options for placing my subwoofer. There are other "good" spots, but only one that I can hear that it is better and measures the best at that point (flattest and loudest without EQ). This was for all the major seating positions too. So I have a choice (because I am actually upgrading my sub currently) to spend $1000-$1500. I choose to get an external xls 1502 amp and a single ultimax 18 DIY kit. I may eventually upgrade to dual to make all seating positions better, but a single will do for the majority. I thought about dual svs sb-2000's but from my research the ultimax 18 will be better for what I want out of a sub, and with my room a single sub works well for my goals and will/should outperform the dual svs-2000 (more surface area and lower extension with a single 18") for less, and it gives me a project to build :)
Instead of a single SB4000 just get 2 SB2000 PRO's. That will give you a much smoother response. Can't get a smooth low end with a single sub regardless of DSP.

Jdunk54nl

Instead of a single SB4000 just get 2 SB2000 PRO's. That will give you a much smoother response. Can't get a smooth low end with a single sub regardless of DSP.

You can with a single sub, it is actually quite easy for a single listening position. It just takes some time, measurements, and having the proper sub.

The benefit to dual subs is to get better response for ALL listening positions, but you can definitely optimize it for one position if not more dependent on the room (in my room's case, all of the main seating positions work very well from that single location)

Willem

Major Contributor
Sure, yes, for a single listening position, though even then dsp will not really get rid of the dips but only of the peaks. So you would need to position the sub for smallest dips.

Jdunk54nl

Ok, we are getting off the topic of the OP's original question. I've done a lot of objective data research and taken my own measurements on sub setups and all I am saying is it is not as cut and dry as some people make it out as I've posted.

Any more and we will have to agree to disagree.

Back to suggesting a SINGLE sub in the $900 range for the the OP, but first he needs to answer the request for more info.

Top Bottom