• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

subwoofer choosing.

sotiridaf

Hello again.

What is the disadvantages of using a sub-woofer from a different company than your speakers. i am talking about studio monitors.

What you need to keep in mind about the characteristics of a sub-woofer to match with your speakers. e.g. cut-off filter.

samysound

Hi, It depends. What are the details of you current setup? Do you have bass management capability already? The genelec subs, for example, have dsp and bass management capability built into the sub for use with their main speakers

Jdunk54nl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Doesn't really matter as long as your sub is of quality (at least similar to your speakers). You want a sub that measures well and speakers that measure equally as well. You don't want amazing measuring speakers with a sub that measures very poorly or vice versa. (unless you are slowly upgrading to better, than this would work in the meantime)

You also want the ability to DSP the peaks and valleys to be flat and the crossover to be actually what you want for subs and speakers. This could be built in or stand alone. I prefer stand alone units like the minidsp because I've had more issues with sub amps failing than anything else. So far I've had 3 sub amps fail after like 5-7 years of use. Probably why most companies don't warranty past a couple years on amps.

Last edited:

Willem

Major Contributor
And before I forget: two smaller ones are better than one big sub. As for filters etc it helps with integration if you can set than very precisely (including quite low frequencies) and if you can also choose the filter slope. DSP room equalization is very useful but I prefer to do that externally (in my case with an Antimode 8033).

Jdunk54nl

And before I forget: two smaller ones are better than one big sub. As for filters etc it helps with integration if you can set than very precisely (including quite low frequencies) and if you can also choose the filter slope. DSP room equalization is very useful but I prefer to do that externally (in my case with an Antimode 8033).

I will disagree with that.

Too often the dual sub vs single sub comes up, and it isn't a blanket statement. It only works, as a blanket statement, if you are comparing a single sub vs. the same model dual subs (or equally capable dual subs). So a single svs sb-2000 vs. dual svs sb-2000 subs. Then two is better. But a single svs sb-4000 will probably outperform a dual svs sb-1000 if placed appropriately and eq'd.

*Edit to add*
I know in my house, I have a single sweet spot in my options for placing my subwoofer. There are other "good" spots, but only one that I can hear that it is better and measures the best at that point (flattest and loudest without EQ). This was for all the major seating positions too. So I have a choice (because I am actually upgrading my sub currently) to spend $1000-$1500. I choose to get an external xls 1502 amp and a single ultimax 18 DIY kit. I may eventually upgrade to dual to make all seating positions better, but a single will do for the majority. I thought about dual svs sb-2000's but from my research the ultimax 18 will be better for what I want out of a sub, and with my room a single sub works well for my goals and will/should outperform the dual svs-2000 (more surface area and lower extension with a single 18") for less, and it gives me a project to build :)

Last edited:

samysound

Hello again.

What is the disadvantages of using a sub-woofer from a different company than your speakers. i am talking about studio monitors.

What you need to keep in mind about the characteristics of a sub-woofer to match with your speakers. e.g. cut-off filter.
consider something like miniDSP SHD as a preamp and two subs as @Willem recommends above. This would cover all your sub integration needs and open you up to using any good bang for the buck sub (e.g. SVS, Rythmik)

OP
S

sotiridaf

I have Genelec 8030C and i am thinking about Adam sub8.

What do you think ?

Jdunk54nl

For $900, I'd look at some other options like rythmik, speedwoofer 10s, HSU, SVS.

Is your goal to have an 8" sub? How big is your space? Usually 8" subs struggle with the lowest octave.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you have an AVR, that is the easiest. You want a proper crossover between the speaker and subwoofer and the bass management capabilities of an AVR or integrated amp are what you want, since your speaker and sub won't have the direct connection that some matching systems have.

Χ Ξ Σ

Forum Donor
At the price of one Adam sub 8 you can buy two Adam T10S 10"sub and extra for fancy cabling.

Χ Ξ Σ

Forum Donor
I have paired my Neumann KH120 with two Adam T10S before and now two JBL LSR310S. The T10S has relatively smoother response and the LSR310S has a clear peak at 60hz. If you are not interested in using DSP/EQ to fine tune the bass response, you might be better off choosing the Adam.

Other than that one advantage, the LSR310S is all around better at the same price. By that I mean the T10S doesn't have a power switch, doesn't have power grounding, doesn't allow accurate level-matching because the konb is too smooth, and the LSR310S has all of these. Plus the cabinet of T10S are lighter and smells like cheap furniture.

Yet I still think two T10S is a better choice than one Sub 8, unless you really need some of the extra features from Sub 8.

Last edited:
OP
S

sotiridaf

I don't have space for 2 sub-woofer. Nice choice the JBL LSR310S, how about Yamaha HS-8S ?

SVS 1000 doesn't have XLR. Other brands like speedwoofer, HSU is not available here.

It is important for the response to be as low as 20 or 25Hz ?

I don't want them for mixing. Just listening music.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Adam T10S doesn't look bad for the price. I prefer a phase or delay dial though because 0 and 180 are too crude. It doesn't matter if using a DSP/EQ system like Audyssey XT32, but it matters if you're setting things up manually.

My main concern though is that a 27lb sub is going to be very limited in its output and extension capability. If you only have 1 location for a sub, make it a good one.

Χ Ξ Σ

Forum Donor
If the Yamaha HS-8S actually can extend to 22Hz, then it definitely worth the higher price than LSR310S.

The lower the subwoofer goes the better, of course. But it also depends on the type of music. My goal is to playback the full piano range, and the lowest key on the piano is 27.5Hz, so the LSR310S that extends to 27Hz is good for me. If you listen to pop, dance, hip-hop and electronic music that has a lot of synthetic bass, or orchestral symphony with a lot of brass and double bass, or watching movies, then you need a sub that goes lower.

Last edited:

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I always thought so, too.

But then there are so many posts with measurements of harmonics appearing below the fundamental tone.

Perhaps it's only in electronics that harmonics go both ways, which makes sense.

In any case, I always advocate for lower extension because even if you only expect 27.5 Hz (which by the way, the Adam sub has already started rolling off before that so you won't get a really powerful note there) it will play louder and cleaner at that frequency.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I always thought so, too.

But then there are so many posts with measurements of harmonics appearing below the fundamental tone.

Perhaps it's only in electronics that harmonics go both ways, which makes sense.

In any case, I always advocate for lower extension because even if you only expect 27.5 Hz (which by the way, the Adam sub has already started rolling off before that so you won't get a really powerful note there) it will play louder and cleaner at that frequency.
We can always resort to Fourier Transform Theory and figure it out.

Top Bottom