• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sub-Woofer Switching Device (Beginner DIY)

Sashoir

Forum Donor
Dear all,

I wondered whether anyone could give me some pointers on the following "design". I have been trying to muddle through "Basic Electronics for Absolute Beginners"-type books along side various posts here and on the wider internet, but have no idea how well I am actually comprehending things. My sincere apologies for the technically illiterate diagramme: "resistor", "battery" and "switch" were the only symbols I recall from school (25+ years ago). The XLR In/Out circle mid-left of the diagramme is just a placeholder to remind me what I'm doing.
SW Mode Switcher.png

The aim is to have a single switch to change between two "modes". Mode A takes a mono phono input, and sends that same input to three mono phono outputs. Mode B takes Left and Right XLR inputs, and sends the Left XLR to one phono output, the Right XLR to one phono output, and the Left+Right mono sum to the third phono output.

The three outputs would be the phono inputs of three active sub-woofers. The stereo XLR inputs would be from a D/A converter, and the mono input would be from an A/V receiver.

The main questions I had were:
* if I actually connected this (including errors), what damage would I risk? I'm guessing that line-level signals are not going to be hazardous to my health provided I take reasonable care.
* I found the stereo to mono summation circuit on the internet (from Rane). I understand the concept (I think), but I have absolutely no idea how the actual designer would have calculated the resistor values
* I'm assuming that because there are lots of y-splitters available for both domestic/phono recording/XLR cables from audio shops, the current drop from the splittings (the circles with the crosses) is not an issue so long as the potential differences remain the same - how wrong is my assumption?
* I'm assuming that because you can buy XLR-phono adaptors, there's no need for a step-down transformer from 4V RMS XLR to 2V RMS phono?
* What are the search terms I need to find the contraption which allows a single mechanical toggle to change the 6 electronic switches?

The background, for those who are curious, is that I'm finally in a position to get a pair of powered sub-woofers, which have both speaker-level (1xSpeakOn socket) and line-level (2x phono sockets, so they sum to mono) connexions, as well as picking up a speaker+AV receiver package with its own powered sub-woofer, which has a single line-level connexion ("LFE", which I gather is just a single standard phono).

My D/A converter has both balanced XLR and phono outputs, the latter of which I use to connect to my power amplifier. From reading (mostly on this site), it seems like speaker-level connexions are to be avoided. It also seems like multiple mono sub-woofers are recommended. However, I would like to *try* stereo subwoofers based on a friend's recommendation. It occurred to me I could have my cake and eat it if I managed to build (a proper version of) the above design. If the low-pass content was mono, then I'd have 3 mono subwoofers, and if the low-pass content was left or right channel, I'd have 2 subwoofers.

Now, it could be that is the most foolish idea ever, but I'm also keen to try it as part of teaching myself a bit of basic electronics; if it sounds awful, I can always just use the two subwoofers in mono from the high-level connexion for music and the other from the AV receiver for films.

Many thanks to all the people who make this site so enjoyable,

Sasha.

Top Bottom