• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sub makes loud blow when powering on the amp

sjeesjie

I don’t know if this is the correct place in the forum to ask but here goes.
I’ve just added a subwoofer to my hifi system. It’s an SVS SB-2000 Pro to complement the Klipsch Heresy IV’s and I’m quite thrilled with it.
As I understood it has an auto-on feature, so I leave it on all the time. But when I power up my amp it produces an audible blow. Quite loud too by the way. Is that normal behavior? Best is probably to power on the sub afeter the power amp, but that defeats the purpose of the auto-on feature right?

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Best is probably to power on the sub afeter the power amp, but that defeats the purpose of the auto-on feature right?
Right. Sometimes there's also a turn-on delay but maybe your sub doesn't have that.

I'm not sure how common it is to get a turn-on glitch from a "modern" amplifier/receiver. It used to be a fairly-common thing. My subwoofer is on virtually all of the time and I don't get a turn-on glitch from my (inexpensive) AVR.

kiwifi

If your receiver has a trigger output you can use that to mute the sub during power up.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’ve just added a subwoofer to my hifi system. ...when I power up my amp it produces an audible blow. Quite loud too by the way. Is that normal behavior?
That just tells you it is working. But seriously, I think this must be a common thing, at least with some powered subs. Maybe the cheaper ones. I have an inexpensive powered sub that is fed from the analog outputs of a DAC3 HGC/AHB2 combo. The sub always 'pops' when the electronics are switched in. The solution is, as you say, to turn on the sub after the other stuff has settled in.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
you shouldn't realy worry unless it sounds mecanical. just think about it. is it harder on a sub than a movie explosion? probably not.

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don’t know if this is the correct place in the forum to ask but here goes.
I’ve just added a subwoofer to my hifi system. It’s an SVS SB-2000 Pro to complement the Klipsch Heresy IV’s and I’m quite thrilled with it.
As I understood it has an auto-on feature, so I leave it on all the time. But when I power up my amp it produces an audible blow. Quite loud too by the way. Is that normal behavior? Best is probably to power on the sub afeter the power amp, but that defeats the purpose of the auto-on feature right?
I just picked up an SB-2000 (non Pro), and I'm experiencing the same issue. Maybe not loud, but certainly very audible pop when the sub goes from standby to auto-on. None of my cheaper subs have ever behaved like this.

Currently exchanging emails with SVS to see if they'll replace it.

OP
S

sjeesjie

I just picked up an SB-2000 (non Pro), and I'm experiencing the same issue. Maybe not loud, but certainly very audible pop when the sub goes from standby to auto-on. None of my cheaper subs have ever behaved like this.

Well in my case it was so loud I worried about my ears. I was really afraid to hit the power switch at a certain moment.

I ditched the sub and got better speakers in the end.

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Update: SVS sent me a replacement amp. I swapped it out and all is well now - no more pops.

Top Bottom