• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I am obsessed with my RPI5 running as a streamer for Qobuz and more!!!

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I also use it to run PiHole to provide ad blocking at the DNS level for the whole network and dnscrypt-proxy so Verizon doesn't get to sell our DNS lookups to data brokers.
I do this as well, but all these nice home security techniques end up triggering all sorts of problems with logging on to my work VPN, so I have to make my network more dangerous so my work thinks it's safe. Aargh.

OP
D

dlovesmusic

I do this as well, but all these nice home security techniques end up triggering all sorts of problems with logging on to my work VPN, so I have to make my network more dangerous so my work thinks it's safe. Aargh.
A good excuse to tell the boss I guess - "I can't work from home today because my home network is preventing me to get in the work VPN..."
:cool:

Multicore

Major Contributor
My average day is about 60% IT support and rising. IT is not really my job, it's just that stuff doesn't work. I can't imagine how people who aren't expert get by.

Barrelhouse Solly

I'm fond of the extremely simple acrylic cases made from precut sheet. With standoffs you can easily accommodate a hat. They're the cheapest thing available. I don't mind that the hardware is visible from the sides though.

Last edited:

Prana Ferox

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I agree with @kchap, not using standard USB-C PD in 2024 is a little ridiculous. I also think the cost is a bit out of control for what you get, although that's not entirely Pi's fault.

I've been thinking about doing a thread for some of the x86_64 (PC) alternatives and while they're potentially more versatile, so much software is set up for the Pi to basically just burn an image to a microSD and go, that it's hard to argue x86 is easier to work with.

OP
D

dlovesmusic

I agree with @kchap, not using standard USB-C PD in 2024 is a little ridiculous. I also think the cost is a bit out of control for what you get, although that's not entirely Pi's fault.

I've been thinking about doing a thread for some of the x86_64 (PC) alternatives and while they're potentially more versatile, so much software is set up for the Pi to basically just burn an image to a microSD and go, that it's hard to argue x86 is easier to work with
I kinda agree about other x86_64 PC alternatives being potentially similarly priced and faster. A few weeks ago, I bought this Windows 11 mini PC N100 8GB ram 256 SSD, all for $125USD https://www.ebay.ca/itm/166294430104
Its only a bit more expensive than the RPi5 and It sure is faster and you may still call it small form factor being 3 times the size of the RPI5. It comes with a 12v3a dc power supply so its not that much more power consumption theoretically compared to the RPI5 ... But its just not the same if its not running arm64 ....

mrtn

Overclocked stably at 2800Hz with this bad boy CPU fan, I am currently running Hqplayer deskop app in Debian bookworm headless (without keyboard/mouse/monitor).
That is indeed really cool, thanks for sharing! It inspired me to install Debian Bookworm(x desktop + vnc) and hqplayer 5 and it is indeed running smoothly up to 768 pcm(maximum of my Chord DAC). I can't get DSD 256 running without hickups though (DSD128 is fine). If you say headless, are you having an X desktop installed and are you accessing it via VNC? I prefer to run Debian in minimal configurationm without X/GUI, but the HQPlayer app seems to rely heavily on GUI depdencies. I tried HQplayer embedded on the RPI5 too, since that might perform even better. But it isn't starting, assuming it is still for RPI4 only.

I am also wondering which filters you are using for DSD 256? Thanks :)

OP
D

dlovesmusic

That is indeed really cool, thanks for sharing! It inspired me to install Debian Bookworm(x desktop + vnc) and hqplayer 5 and it is indeed running smoothly up to 768 pcm(maximum of my Chord DAC). I can't get DSD 256 running without hickups though (DSD128 is fine). If you say headless, are you having an X desktop installed and are you accessing it via VNC? I prefer to run Debian in minimal configurationm without X/GUI, but the HQPlayer app seems to rely heavily on GUI depdencies. I tried HQplayer embedded on the RPI5 too, since that might perform even better. But it isn't starting, assuming it is still for RPI4 only.

I am also wondering which filters you are using for DSD 256? Thanks :)
In order to run embedded, you can install the Rasbian OS lite 64bit without GUI, you will need to download the Bookworm version of hqplayerd (NOT the embedded image that boots with USB drive).

you will need to install three packages libgmpris_2.2.1-11_arm64.deb, libsoup-3.0-0_3.4.4-1_arm64.deb and libsoup-3.0-common_3.4.4-1_all.deb
make sure you run the command line "sudo apt-get install -f " that will make sure it also install all the required dependencies.

With embedded (trial license), I was able to run DSD256x48 with default filters and the 7EC UL modulator. Try to play around with nblocks settings with a lower number between 1 to 4 to help with cpu disk cache (sudo nano /etc/hqplayer/hqplayerd.xml)

For oc settings I had forced_turbo=1 and that helped a bit too

Got to admit with embedded you are getting yourself in more diy categories rather than simple plug and play …

I don't have an embedded license. I have a desktop license, so I mainly just use the bookworm desktop version with x desktop + VNC and that only works for DSD128 or DSD256 (with non 7EC modulator)...

But with the Chord dacs, there is no reason to do upsampling to DSD since chord dacs do not do native DSD. Any DSD source fed to the Chord dacs get converted back to PCM 705.6khz or 768khz by the dac itself.

Last edited:

PO3c

I did not think the RPI4 was fast enough even for moode audio. Controlling it with my iphone feel lagging at times
Don't think UI lag stems from RPi hw limitation. But rather server side database access and local browser lag.

Here is what I got on my RPi4 with RPi-OS Lite 64-bit running CD quality flac from Squeezelite into CamillaDSP. Where it does integer x2 resampling and add 13 biquad filters. Note CPU here run at 700-800MHz as there are nearly nothing to do ;)

1709210207243.png

LMS then provide the actual web UI (Material Skin) from another RPi3. Mostly due to its more static nature where my player get tweaked more often and I rather not have to scan the archive every time I change µSD card.

Have RPi5 8GB on order and plan is to experiment with RAM disc where I load all LMSs database files into RAM at startup. This to test if it will furder improve speed in the UI. On current RPi3 database files run from a very slow internal µSD interface. Which are improved on with the RPi5 and might even be enough for me.

DLS79

Forum Donor
I did not think the RPI4 was fast enough even for moode audio. Controlling it with my iphone feel lagging at times

BT or wifi, or ethernet?

Wireless (BT or wifi) on all pies isn't that great, because the built in arial is microscopic.

OP
D

dlovesmusic

BT or wifi, or ethernet?

Wireless (BT or wifi) on all pies isn't that great, because the built in arial is microscopic.
Well it’s been a few years since I last tried moode with Camilladsp or Volumio but I always have my rpi4 on Ethernet…

OP
D

dlovesmusic

Hi folks, a bit of an update. I know ppl here generally don't believe in upgrading power supply to a streamer.
Anyhow, I just bought a Canakit power supply for my RPI5, its $10 more than the official RPI5 power supply. Guess what, I am now able to OC stably to 3000hz where the official supply only got me to 2800hz!!! I didn't buy this as an upgrade. I need to get a power supply for my third RPI5 arriving next week.

Attachments

• IMG_9037.jpeg
    IMG_9037.jpeg
    339.9 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

AudioSQ

I kinda agree about other x86_64 PC alternatives being potentially similarly priced and faster. A few weeks ago, I bought this Windows 11 mini PC N100 8GB ram 256 SSD, all for $125USD https://www.ebay.ca/itm/166294430104
Its only a bit more expensive than the RPi5 and It sure is faster and you may still call it small form factor being 3 times the size of the RPI5. It comes with a 12v3a dc power supply so its not that much more power consumption theoretically compared to the RPI5 ... But its just not the same if its not running arm64 ....
I also agree. I have a Pi3 and 4. I was looking to grab the 5, but by the time you get a case, SD card, and power supply it was $150 so I opted for a mini PC. Its a much better experience (for me) and the cost difference just isn't there anymore.

OP
D

dlovesmusic

I also agree. I have a Pi3 and 4. I was looking to grab the 5, but by the time you get a case, SD card, and power supply it was $150 so I opted for a mini PC. Its a much better experience (for me) and the cost difference just isn't there anymore.
Yup. It really depends on your use case. For a standalone min desktop pc there are cheaper/better options than the rpi5

In my audio network, rpi plays a pretty major role. I have 5 rpi4 1gb ram which are pretty inexpensive at about $35 a piece and they serve as network endpoints to bridge my 4 systems in different rooms.

Rpi4/Rpi5 is unique in the fact that their usb c port is also a otg port that offers flexibility for my needs…

phofman

Rpi4/Rpi5 is unique in the fact that their usb c port is also a otg port that offers flexibility for my needs…
Actually many Intel Atom devices (I have two x5-Z8350s) expose the integrated DWC3 OTG USB interface directly onto one of its USB ports and allow USB gadget operation just like the DWC2 in RPi. Not trivial to convince BIOS to initialize the port to the device mode though.

Last edited:
OP
D

dlovesmusic

And most importantly, for my specific use case, the program I use only has support for RPI4/RPI5 OTG.
The RPI4 can be used as a network bridge/USB host/device mode switch AND support automatic sample rate detection.
So essentially, I can use an ipad for apple music streaming (or say a Wiim Ultra for qobuz, tidal......) -> usb out to a RPI4/RPI5 (switch USB to device mode) and send the correct sample rate through LAN to my Desktop PC running Hqplayer (as an input device) for DSP and room correction convolution...

chefffe

The Pi solution works great, no doubt ... but ... after using it around a year I was quite fed up with no possibility to switch off easily. Any time have to startup PI, starting DAC, starting Amplifier, starting DSP and messing around with bad working touchscreen. I simply used it more seldom and seldom until I nearly stopped using it.
This was the reason to look for a all-in-one-solution and I ended up with NAD M10. For me this is the holy-grail of all audio solutions (i dont need much power for speakers) but of course this counts only for me.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
That just means you didn't finish developing your ideal Pi solution ;-) All of those seem easily fixed, but it probably comes down to "easy if you know how" and whether it's something you want to put the time and effort into. For me the "I could fix it if I could be bothered" element makes the imperfections less frustrating than when they're in something I've just bought, especially if it's something expensive.

Top Bottom