• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stream or own?

How do you consume music

• I only stream

Votes: 35 10.7%
  • I only play the files I own

Votes: 48 14.6%
  • I mainly stream but I own files too

Votes: 139 42.4%
  • I mainly play the files I own but I occasionally stream

Votes: 106 32.3%

• Total voters

Waxx

Major Contributor
It is bound to happen on ASR; at least ¾ of us here must be some kind of engineer. Anyone coming from outside must consider it a strange place indeed, and any subjectivists who come here must have some desperate need for attention.

The wider world is moving away from mix-and-match audio and media solutions to one-stop-shop integrated systems from Sonos, Bose, Apple, or just Alexa/Amazon.

We're a strange breed, who feel the need to understand how these things work, look beyond what is presented to us and choose our own paths. For myself, even my carefully curated library, extending beyond what normal people would consider to be music, could only belong to someone looking from a different direction.

I am quite lucky to be left in control of these things in our house, as long as a Bluetooth side-door is left open so my partner can fire her non-subscrition Spotify through it.
I don't see that in my enviroment. People who see music as background want a simple solution without looking to quality. But most who active listen to music want a good sounding system and are searching to find that for a cheap price. They don't mind some technicality, but what is here often promoted is to complicated.

But a thing like that Audiophonics DA-S250NC amp reviewed a few days ago by Amir is a good solution for that (altough a bit pricey for most). That kind of amp with a pair of good speakers that are not to big or expensive is what most music lovers want, a simple one box plug and play device that gives good quality stereo sound to their speakers from whatever digital source they want. Add an analog in with an MM phono stage (for turntables, that are getting more and more popular among them) and make it a bit cheaper and you got a device that will please them all.

It's a minority on the market, but a large minority today (here in Europe at least) and is an open gap in the market that Audiophonics (smartly) try to fill with it. Many of those now use vintage second hand amps and speakers from the 1970's to the 1990's as those in general are better than what is sold today for reasonable prices and buy topping or smsl or similar cheap chinese dac's (with a laptop or mobile phone) or streamers to connect the digital (streaming) world to a higher quality system. An AVR is mostly not what they want, and not that good in quality or out of their budget.

But it's true this site maily gathers the freaks, the nerds and the engineers who go for the last bit, and the solutions here are often way to complicated technically for most of those people. Topping and SMSL amps are not trusted for expensive parts because chinese with no local support department or store. A Topping D10 is cheap enogh to take the risk, a PA5 or PA7x is to expensive for that risk. Audiophonics is also expensive, but made in France with support in France following EU rules.

thecheapseats

Addicted to Fun and Learning
...But a thing like that Audiophonics DA-S250NC amp reviewed a few days ago by Amir is a good solution for that (altough a bit pricey for most). That kind of amp with a pair of good speakers that are not to big or expensive is what most music lovers want, a simple one box plug and play device that gives good quality stereo sound to their speakers from whatever digital source they want. Add an analog in with an MM phono stage (for turntables, that are getting more and more popular among them) and make it a bit cheaper and you got a device that will please them all...

I view a streamer as the modern analog to what FM tuner's delivered a few decades ago - a music 'push' device - obviously differing in that it requires a commercial-free paid subscription... and with an amp built in? - great ! ...

as well, if configured without an amp as an improv-preamp with (as you suggested) the addition of some additional analog i/o (some people still own/use analog devices) and placed upstream from whatever amp/speaker delivery system one might already own - seems a natural winner... the right features could easily drive such a unit's sales penetration...

anotherhobby

Forum Donor
I view a streamer as the modern analog to what FM tuner's delivered a few decades ago - a music 'push' device - obviously differing in that it requires a commercial-free paid subscription...
I think the bigger difference to me between FM and streaming is one of passive consumption vs active choice, although your greater point is not lost on me.

thecheapseats

I think the bigger difference to me between FM and streaming is one of passive consumption vs active choice, although your greater point is not lost on me.
sure - I understand - as active choice is 'pulled'... my newly acquired impression has been that many use streaming (pushed) to discover new music... I don't stream so I didn't know that...

Freeform

It's a minority on the market, but a large minority today (here in Europe at least) and is an open gap in the market that Audiophonics (smartly) try to fill with it. Many of those now use vintage second hand amps and speakers from the 1970's to the 1990's as those in general are better than what is sold today for reasonable prices and buy topping or smsl or similar cheap chinese dac's (with a laptop or mobile phone) or streamers to connect the digital (streaming) world to a higher quality system. An AVR is mostly not what they want, and not that good in quality or out of their budget....
There are still enough of us, as evidenced by the number of companies vying for a slice of our disposable, big or small. Nevertheless, more people now consume music and other media on the go, or want to access it seamlessly or severally in every room of the house. DIY multiroom integration is rare, probably for good reason!

Nowadays, in 'civilian' life, it is very rare I meet an audio enthusiast by chance - but of course there are enough of us at events; hi-fi shows, swapmeets (not commercially active) etc.

I do meet people with Spotify/Deezer/iTunes/Amazon Prime/Netflix accounts (which are the prime enabler of listening on the go) but seldom are they attached to anything more than a cheap retail system or a phone.

anotherhobby

Forum Donor
sure - I understand - as active choice is 'pulled'... my newly acquired impression has been that many use streaming (pushed) to discover new music... I don't stream so I didn't know that...
Fair point on people streaming playlists and "radios" on streaming services. I'm one of those weirdos who almost exclusively listens to albums, and I find most new music by reading articles and following metadata links (in Roon/Tidal) in the music I already have and like. I tend to think of streaming services as a big connected library because I use them that way, but your newly acquired impression is likely more correct than mine.

thecheapseats

...but your newly acquired impression is likely more correct than mine....
more correct? - nope - only what it is to me... actively seeking out music, or for that matter regularly listening to music for pleasure just isn't what I do - I listen to books on tape (i make music for a living)... I spend time up here reading about and shopping for devices for system suggestions for family (a lot of that lately) and a few friends who have asked me about audio stuff...

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
It is bound to happen on ASR; at least ¾ of us here must be some kind of engineer. Anyone coming from outside must consider it a strange place indeed, and any subjectivists who come here must have some desperate need for attention.
Umm -- I'm not (an engineer). Not even close.
Might be interesting to fact chack EDIT: chalk check ;) that "at least 3/4".

Last edited:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Maybe 10% of ASR are spelling pedants? I am one of them ;)
I am one, two ;)
What I am not, unfortunantly, is an obsessive proofreader.
Fortunately, ASR does have an edit function, of which I shall make use anon.

PS Pretty sure the most accurate statistic is that 13.6% of us are typography sticklers. :cool:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
So -- I thought that streaming had killed the CD/SACD market by now?!
Maybe a polycarbonate disc resurgence (a la vinyl's) is... umm... trending?
If so, TAD's apparently rarin' to go!

tad-d700-cd-player.jpg

(saw this mentioned at the Polk forums)

tad-d700-tray.jpg

tomchris

tad-d700-cd-player.jpg

(saw this mentioned at the Polk forums)

tad-d700-tray.jpg

Ernst Stravo Blofeld called from the '60s and he wants his CD/SACD back.
"Have you heard the lastest SPECTRE release on SACD, Mr. Bond?"
SACD - Subversive Audio Counter-intelligence and Distortion

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Streaming will never completely replace ownership.
At least for the far foreseeable future it will never offer the pure variety of masters/remasters and various formats that Performer X of Album Y that exist.
It totally lacks any collector value.
Must I go on.
Streaming is a excellent addition but not a total replacement for a true music lovers library.

Freeform

tad-d700-cd-player.jpg

I am a little bit sad that TAD has been reduced to a 'high-end' audiophile brand

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
That's a beautiful disc spinner!
But for $53,000 it should be able to handle all optical formats like DVD, BD, etc.
And be 10% of that cost. ;)

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
damn that Thinkpad looks like it has seen some SHIT!

looks like a T410???

funnily enough a laptop with enough internal storage could probably hold all the music i would ever want to listen to in flac

streaming is... ephemeral... so of course it crosses with people who are /r/datahoarders and really, holding flacs isnt a big deal compared to the big data we also might have

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
damn that Thinkpad looks like it has seen some SHIT!

looks like a T410???

funnily enough a laptop with enough internal storage could probably hold all the music i would ever want to listen to in flac

streaming is... ephemeral... so of course it crosses with people who are /r/datahoarders and really, holding flacs isnt a big deal compared to the big data we also might have
It's a T430. It is my cannon fodder laptop. It has served, and continues to serve, with distinction. Put an SSD in it years ago. It's the one I use when teaching in Boston. A little heavy, but boy howdy is it tough!
I did replace the touchpad surface recently after a spate of touchpad shaming in another thread. ;)

The even older IBM :) in the background is the one I use to play music from my NAS when I am so inclined.
It is a Thinkpad R60 that I put an SSD and Linux Mint in/on a few years back. It, too, works great for what I ask it to do (which is mostly music-related).

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I tried selling CDs at a garage sale two weekends ago. I have over 1,500, I sold between 50 and 100 at $1 each. Not much bank. I'm donating what I have left. About the same story percentage-wise with DVDs although smaller numbers.
Wish I could have been there.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I probably should clarify that in playing “files” that I own, they are mostly physical media. I play my CDs and LPs far more than I stream or play my ripped digital files. I do also play my ripped files more than I stream.

Top Bottom