• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How MANY Streaming Services Do You Use?

How MANY Streaming Services Do You Use?

• 0 - my own media only

Votes: 17 15.5%
  • 1 streaming service

Votes: 47 42.7%
  • 2 streaming services

Votes: 25 22.7%
  • 3+ streaming services

Votes: 21 19.1%

• Total voters

benanders

How many ASR’ers use a streaming service vs. not?
How many use >1?

>1 household member can count towards your vote.
Paid subscriptions and free both count as service.
Your personal media does not count as a service.

Please consider this query in conjunction with @CleanSound (your preferred service) :
What streaming service do you use?

Feel free to rationalize your selection below. I don’t use streaming at all, hence my curiosity about “quantity over quality.”

Last edited:

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I gave up on streaming after I spent a fair amount of money streaming Tidal for several years. I quit because some of the music I liked disappeared from the service and because I noticed ticks and pops on some seemingly bad CD rips streaming on Tidal.

I tried Amazon Music for a free trial period but disliked the UI.

Because I have ~15,000 CD/SACD rips and high-res albums on an SSD, the pain of leaving streaming behind was minimal.

OldTimer

Apple Music because 6 months free from HomePod purchase. And either Qobuz or Tidal for Hi-Res audio (FLAC).

radix

Major Contributor
streaming: how doth I play thee, let me count the ways.

I have too many. Started with Pandora, but canceled that when I started Spotify. Of course I have Amazon Prime, so I have prime music, but really don't use it except to download some music to my phone. Then I wanted to integrate my home library with streaming, so I got Roon. Spotify does not play with Roon and I wanted multiroom, so I got Qobuz, which integrates with Roon. Then I needed the app Song Shift so I could move playlists from Spotify to Qobuz. Then I got Volumio subscription to get their multiroom working with Spotify. Then I got Wiim Pro and canceled Volumio. Now maybe I can get rid of Qobuz because I can do multiroom outside of Roon, but I can access Qobuz and Amazon music from the Wiim app, but not spotify. I have an ipad in single app mode by the stereo to control it with the Wiim app, so its nice still having Qobuz. Spotify does have the best playlists, at least that I've found for what I listen to.

I'm so glad that technology has simplified my life (not).

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
The whole family use the Quboz subscription it’s an old chestnut but, I have discovered more music, the kids recommend stuff I counter with ‘have you listened to…’
My wife has her playlists the family all use Roon, it is just so convenient.
Keith

radix

Major Contributor
I do multi-room with Spotify on my WiiMs.
Yes, that was their big selling point to me. I just wish one could control spotify from within the Wiim app to reduce the number of apps I need to deal with.

And Volumio 3 never really worked that well for me.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
I'm not made of money, so I have to restrict subscriptions for services otherwise the monthly bills rack up. I occasionally use Spotify Free, so I voted "1". I wasn't sure if you were after subscriptions, in which case I'd change to "0".

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I use Spotify mostly, occasionally Pandora....but mostly my own content (but no option for that).

OP
benanders

benanders

I'm not made of money, so I have to restrict subscriptions for services otherwise the monthly bills rack up. I occasionally use Spotify Free, so I voted "1". I wasn't sure if you were after subscriptions, in which case I'd change to "0".
Ha! I initially had specified both free and paid are okay to count, but deleted for sake of brevity - re-included in the 1st post now.
Paid? Zero.
Same!
I use Spotify mostly, occasionally Pandora....but mostly my own content (but no option for that).
Sure - you use 2 streaming services.
Personal media, no subscription paid or free is needed to access it, although some folks do opt for that kinda service. Using 1, 2, 3+ streaming services isn’t meant to suggest you never use your own personal media. Wouldn’t surprise me if a few folks keep none of their own media, but surely it must be uncommon (for now, at least).

Edits: wording

Last edited:

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Two:

Spotify 80%
Apple Music 20% .
Nothing else.

I do have Amazon but have never used it.

Peace.

Zedly

Forum Donor
If we're not limiting it to audio, I use:
  • Spotify
  • Disney+
  • Netflix
  • Amazon Prime
  • Twitch
  • YouTube
  • Peacock (got a special year-long subscription so I can watch the 2024 Olympics)
  • Others (Sometimes I will subscribe for a month to watch series or event (e.g. March Madness) that I'm interested in)
I also stream my own media using Plex

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Music only?
Pandora for convenience, mostly in the car.
Apple Music for most home usage.
Tidal... Some stuff is available here and not on Apple. *shrugs

I have never gotten along with Spotify.
Should probably start up with Amazon as I'm a Prime member and all.

Count Video, and add a lot more!

OP
benanders

benanders

If we're not limiting it to audio, I use:
  • Spotify
  • Disney+
  • Netflix
  • Amazon Prime
  • Twitch
  • YouTube
  • Peacock (got a special year-long subscription so I can watch the 2024 Olympics)
  • Others (Sometimes I will subscribe for a month to watch series or event (e.g. March Madness) that I'm interested in)
I also stream my own media using Plex
Ha - I do stream via PLEX, but not music…

Music only?
Pandora for convenience, mostly in the car.
Apple Music for most home usage.
Tidal... Some stuff is available here and not on Apple. *shrugs

I have never gotten along with Spotify.
Should probably start up with Amazon as I'm a Prime member and all.

Count Video, and add a lot more!

Good points.
ASR, so I think we’ll do best to keep with just music here, since streaming “audio” for films surely must include video for almost every case.
If we threw in everything under the AV sun, things might go all over the board!

Top Bottom