• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How MANY Streaming Services Do You Use?

How MANY Streaming Services Do You Use?

• 0 - my own media only

Votes: 17 15.5%
  • 1 streaming service

Votes: 47 42.7%
  • 2 streaming services

Votes: 25 22.7%
  • 3+ streaming services

Votes: 21 19.1%

• Total voters

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just one here: Apple Music. I never found something I wanted on another service but not Apple, but at least early on when Apple added immersive they had titles Tidal did not. We also like News+ and AppleTV, so the bundle makes economic sense.

I found myself not using anything else, though I kept a Tidal subscription until Tesla added Apple Music. I would’ve kept Tidal if they had immersive stuff I wanted that was not on Apple.

If Tidal or someone else starts streaming old multichannel recordings previously released on DVD-A or SACD I would add that service.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
does Youtube count?
Yeah I do use that more now that I have the premium account to avoid commercials in the middle of something....but it isn't as adaptive to my tastes as Pandora or Spotify....but harder to program feedback into youtube.

Robin L

Master Contributor
I'm going to count You Tube as I sample tracks from them. In the past I paid for a HD version of Amazon Prime, think I had the free version of Spotify for a while. My specific problem with streaming services were dropouts. I'm sure there is a technical solution for that, don't care. As it is, I have far too many CDs to listen to that I haven't heard yet and have a source for more that is absurdly cheap. I guess if I had more money and fancier computer gear I might consider signing up for something like Tidal, but right now I really don't need it.

Edit: My wife watches a lot of TV, uses multiple streaming services for that. She also gets a lot of DVDs/Blu Rays from the library as well. I don't count that for myself, don't watch nearly as much TV as her.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Just one: Amazon HD. Otherwise, I have a large library of CDs I have ripped to FLAC on my NAS.

OP
benanders

benanders

Changed my answer from 0 to 1 for realizing that occasional use of YouTube with headphones to check/find certain tracks probably counts as streaming even if I don’t import the YouTube file into my listening setup.

Funny how I didn’t associate that with “streaming” since it predated the plethora of subscription-based AV streaming services. I considered it “surfing” but I guess there’s overlap.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Changed my answer from 0 to 1 for realizing that occasional use of YouTube with headphones to check/find certain tracks probably counts as streaming even if I don’t import the YouTube file into my listening setup.

Funny how I didn’t associate that with “streaming” since it predated the plethora of subscription-based AV streaming services. I considered it “surfing” but I guess there’s overlap.
To me streaming for music entails anything sent over any network. Streaming services are one thing, your own content another (and with streaming services I don't bother downloading at all since I can't manipulate it the way I want without ownership).

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Tried Tidal, Amazon, Apple and Qobuz. My favorite based on sound quality and breath of catalog was Qobuz. Now I subscribe to Qobuz annually and dropped all other audio streaming services. To be honest, I use my CD rips so much that most of the time my streaming is for trying new music that I don't own yet. If I find something I really like, I buy the music for local use.

CarbonMakerU

Forum Donor
I've tried all the services listed in the prior threads over the years, and with multiple paid offerings I found myself paying for what constituted in my case a differently packaged version of the same overall library. That's when the value light starts blinking. I found that Apple has the content I want in a format I've learned to use to my liking. And it dates me, but I still have boxes of CD's many purchased from my much beloved but long defunct Peaches Music :(

darrellc

Forum Donor
Apple family plan. And using Amazon for hi res until Apple does it. Use Atmos on both. Have a bunch of ripped CDs on NAS but never use it since most of it is on the streaming services. I used to spend vastly more for music per month (probably hundreds $/mon, I like finding new music). A couple of subscriptions are really too cheap - poor artists. Music industry really bungled transition to digital.

RosalieTheDog

Tidal family. I like the UI, the recommendation algorithm works very good and I find all the new albums or artists I hear about on internet radio, which is the second source of 'streaming' audio. I never had a cd collection, so this is perfect.

droid2000

Tidal family. I like the UI, the recommendation algorithm works very good and I find all the new albums or artists I hear about on internet radio, which is the second source of 'streaming' audio. I never had a cd collection, so this is perfect.
I heard Tidal has music videos. Are they good sound quality?

beeface

3. Wife has Apple Music, I have Spotify. Technically we have Prime Music because we have Prime, but we never use it.

tbh Spotify's lossy streaming is fine for my needs

Last edited:

Eric Natural

I used to subscribe to Spot Premium and enjoyed that - sorta liked the algorithms that introduced me to music similar to the artists I "liked". Both my son in law and a cat I work with love Spot and stubbornly won't switch because of that "learning" of their tastes. What I didn't like are the slightly limited catalog and the possible lack of dynamics as compared to Apple Music.
We switched the Fam to the Apple One subscription and I'm really digging the new App Classical - I've rigged an un-used AppleTV box to be a lossless streamer and getting 24bits on both the standard AM and the Classical app. Sounds great
Peace

Top Bottom