• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stereo speakers/monitor for a desk and a DAC

tobix10

Hi, I am looking to replace my cheap PC speakers with something much better. I set a budget to 200-300$ per speaker.
I've a 160x70cm desk and 48'' inch TV on it so there is 26cm on the sides left. Also, they can't be too deep, I think max 30cm, but they will be really close to the wall. Desk is just 1cm away of the wall, but I could squeeze 2cm more xD.
The room is small ~16m2.

I've been looking over the Internet and I came across studio monitors and thought that would be a good option, because they should have better sound quality. My plan is to buy flat speakers and use EQ if needed :). But, I am not an audio guy and don't know if they would be good for all of my use cases.

I came across these monitors:
Kali Audio LP-6 v2
Tannoy Gold 7
JBL 306P MKII
Adam T7V
Kali Audio IN-5

and speakers with a lot of connection options:
Klipsch The Fives (they have a setting to make them more flat)
Argon Audio Forte Active 5 (probably more hifi)

Speakers will be use mostly for listening to music (60% of the time), watching movies (20%) and also playing games (20%). In terms of sound it should be clear and detailed with good soundstage and imaging. I don't plan to buy a sub right now. I listen to a lot of genres, but mainly rock, metal and electronic.

Also, there is a connectivity issue because I'd like to use them with PC, TV, tablet and console so I also need an advice about DAC with bluetooth or sth like that. Budget? I don't know, but nothing fancy - a device to do the job.
My TV has hdmi arc, optical and jack outputs. On PC I could use usb or put the sound through HDMI to the TV. Console is connected through HDMI (no other audio outputs). For tablet I need bluetooth.

Are studio monitors a good option for me or should I go with hifi? Which one would you recommend the most?
I heard that they can produce noise, I'd like to avoid that. My listening position is 60-70cm away of the speakers.

Last question that maybe I should start with. Do monitors sound decent from different position like from the side? Sometimes, I just want to listen away from the desk.

Last edited:
Top Bottom