• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Splitting a digital usb audio signal possible?

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it possible to split a digital audio signal from a streamer without degradation of performance or signal?
I want one path to go to a separate dac (2 channel stereo) and the other to my A/V system. The goal is to use one streamer for both systems instead of having to purchase 2.

dc655321

Major Contributor
What is your communication link(s)?
HDMI? USB? coax?

Provided length/distance is not excessive, there should be no dropouts. Degradation of digital signals is not really a thing...

OP
M

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

dc655321

Major Contributor
OP
M

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

mansr

Major Contributor
Splitting USB is not possible. Switching it is. If you only want to use one DAC at a time, that is the way to go. If you want to send the same signal to both DACs at the same time, you'll have to use S/PDIF (or another source synchronous interface).

OP
M

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Splitting USB is not possible. Switching it is. If you only want to use one DAC at a time, that is the way to go. If you want to send the same signal to both DACs at the same time, you'll have to use S/PDIF (or another source synchronous interface).
One dac at a time is fine. what do i use to do that? just a usb hub with switches?
Alternatively, in case you know, on a raspberry pi4 there are 4 usb ports, are all of those ports active at once if not, which one (If there are more than one connected) gets the signal since there are no switches? Sorry for the misdirection but i thought i would toss it out there in case you know.
Thanks

SKBubba

Topping d10 has usb in, toslink, coax, and rca analog out. All three are acrive during playback.

OP
M

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Topping d10 has usb in, toslink, coax, and rca analog out. All three are acrive during playback.
yah, already have my dacs. there are digital interfaces that do that same thing but they dont have 2 usb outs, just 1 with toslink, coax rca.

mansr

Major Contributor
One dac at a time is fine. what do i use to do that? just a usb hub with switches?
Alternatively, in case you know, on a raspberry pi4 there are 4 usb ports, are all of those ports active at once if not, which one (If there are more than one connected) gets the signal since there are no switches? Sorry for the misdirection but i thought i would toss it out there in case you know.
Thanks
If you connect multiple DACs at the same time, e.g. via a hub, the operating system will present both to any applications. Your streaming software might support selecting which one to use, or not. If not, a USB switch may be the most practical solution. These can be found on Amazon at little cost. There is nothing audio specific here.

OP
M

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you connect multiple DACs at the same time, e.g. via a hub, the operating system will present both to any applications. Your streaming software might support selecting which one to use, or not. If not, a USB switch may be the most practical solution. These can be found on Amazon at little cost. There is nothing audio specific here.
thank you

OP
M

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
i have one i just wasnt sure it worked with audio but as mansr stated, there is nothing audio specific here.

OP
M

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The rasp pi4 has 4 usb (2-3.0 and 2-2.0) ports. I couldnt find confirmation but i am assuming they are not all active at once. If i had 2 dacs i would test it.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The rasp pi4 has 4 usb (2-3.0 and 2-2.0) ports. I couldnt find confirmation but i am assuming they are not all active at once. If i had 2 dacs i would test it.

They are all active at once. Your DAC and AVR will be seen as separate devices by what ever streaming software you are using. You just need to select the output in the software.

Here's MoOde giving me the option of outputing to HDMI, headphone jack, Topping D50s (USB) and Tempotec Sonata HD (USB)...

1622058987697.png

OP
M

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They are all active at once. Your DAC and AVR will be seen as separate devices by what ever streaming software you are using. You just need to select the output in the software.
thanks but if they are all active why do i have to select one?

Top Bottom