• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Split two AES3 or S/PDIF channels into separate cables

kd2shh

If I have one AES3 or S/PDIF signal containing two channels, is there an off-the-shelf solution to split the two channels into two separate signals without converting to analog? (Not splitting into two identical signals -- I want, e.g., left channel in one cable and right channel in the other cable.)

I have a 5.1 system with a miniDSP DDRC-88D connected directly to active speakers that accept digital inputs. The miniDSP does LFE management, room correction, and volume control. By default, it outputs the center and LFE channels on the same cable. I was able to work around this by configuring it to output one of them on a spare output cable instead. But now I want to upgrade from a 5.1 system to 7.1, so I'll no longer have a spare output cable for this workaround.

I've seen hints on these forums that there's no such off-the-shelf solution (e.g. here). But I wanted to raise the question explicitly to be sure before investing the time to design a solution.

Last edited:

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
Why, oh why?

Top Bottom