• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can I use the L/R pre-outs for 2 subwoofers and calibrate them separately?

Tron

Hello, audio community. This is my first post. Excuse me for my English. It's not my native.

So I have a receiver with only one LFE channel pre-out for the subwoofer. Is it possible to use the pre-outs for the L/R to connect to them the two subwoofers I have so I can calibrate them individually. So much I understand that I will have to set the L/R speakers to Large. Then to connect the main speakers let's say to those for the rear speakers (I have 5.1 channel system, so I have two spare outputs for the main speakers). Somehow I would have to redirect the sound of the mains to output the rears and the LFE channel to split to the L/R channels. Is JRiver convenient for this? Then I would have to manage the LOW/HIGH PASS filter in JRIVER and then to turn the levels of the L/R output channel with plus 10db because if remember correctly the signal for the LFE channel was 10db lower and the output of the reciever make the 10db amplification. After that I plan to use MSO+REW or something like the Dirac plug-in for JRIVER to calibrate. Is this going to work and what I'm missing. Thank you!

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
You will lose the crossover and you'll lose the "point one" LFE channel in surround mixes (which only goes to the sub and is not included in the downmix).

So the best thing is probably to use a Y-spitter and connect both subs to the sub-out.

OP
T

Tron

You will lose the crossover and you'll lose the "point one" LFE channel in surround mixes (which only goes to the sub and is not included in the downmix).

So the best thing is probably to use a Y-spitter and connect both subs to the sub-out.
I understand that the crossover will not function in the receiver but my idea was to set It in the Jriver software as it is explained here: (https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Room_Correction). The 0.1 Channel will be rerouted to the L and R channels, The L and R channel will be rerouted to the RL and RR, and the RL and RR to the SL and SR.

Top Bottom