• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is it worth trying to split S/PDIF output (and what do I need to do so?)

sep

I'm looking for an affordable audio interface with 6ch output. Some interfaces, like the KOMPLETE AUDIO 6 have their outputs 5/6 come out through one S/PDIF jack. I've never used S/PDIF, but apparently I need a "compositie video rca connector" or "digital audio coaxial rca connector" to use them (based on a cursory view of a Wikipedia article!). Is it possible to split this to output each of the two channels into two separate speakers, and if so, what hardware would I need?

Or are there two many drawbacks/problems in doing so that it'd be better to dish out the extra money for an interface with six standard audio-jack outputs?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Spdif is a digital signal. So you need a DAC to convert it back to analog. That will also get you normal RCA connectors again (or XLR).

Better get an 8x interface, or some 7.1 USB interface.

timiark

I recently switched from USE to S/PDIF. I really cannot say there are any noticeable differences.

djtetei

If you want to use digital signal, remain in digital domain until the signal is ready to be sent to the speakers and digital processing equipment with the highest sample rate and bit depth capability. Avoid multiple conversions from digital to analog and vice versa.

Reactions: sep

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Assuming you are taking one coax output to two inputs, I'd try one of these cheap things:

RCA Splitter

1660741003442.png

Or even one of these:

1660741199275.png

The signal is unidirectional, and fairly robust for short distances, and I would consider it unlikely to cause any damage.

Reactions: Mat

djtetei

You can not use these type of splitters on SPDIF digital output.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
For analog but not for S/PDIF.

I don't see why not,

What's the problem?

Maybe I misunderstand what he's trying to do with the channels, but I'd bet a usable duplicate of the input signal would appear at both outputs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mat

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I don't see why not,

What's the problem?

Depends on your goal but (1) maintaining the proper impedance load is important for S/PDIF and (2) there's no what to extract the two channels from S/PDIF without a digital processor or a DAC.

Reactions: sep
Top Bottom