• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SPL Meter Recommendations?

Robonaut

Hi, folks, I'm thinking of picking up an SPL meter. What do you all recommend? I don't think I need anything particular fancy. I'm going to be shopping for a new car and I want to check how loud various models are on the highway.

SKBubba

There are cheap/free apps for that. Maybe not super accurate but for your purpose would give you the relative noise between models.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
As someone who has a calibrated SPL meter, the phone apps are garbage. They might work if you have a very popular phone model, but I would not trust them at all. SPL meters are so cheap, I see no reason not to buy one.

I have a Digital Sound 8928.

USER

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
As mentioned, phone apps are fine for comparison, but if you are using them for proper measurements, you are in for trouble. I compared a phone app to my umik/REW set-up and the measurement was off by over 15 dBs!! Once calibrated, it seems fine. But if you can't do that, you can easily fatigue your ears thinking you are listening to something at a lower volume than it actually is.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've had better experience than some are describing with the apps compared to a real meter or the Umik1 via REW. When you do get big differences it is in sounds with low frequency content. I find them to be pretty very good from 200 hz to 3-4khz on almost every phone. And on up higher with phones for which an app can be calibrated.

The little iMM 6 is calibrated and will give results pretty much identical to a Umik-1. There are some android phones where it acts wonky and doesn't record above 8 khz, but for most and for iPhone's it is fine right on up to 20 khz.

Of course a dedicated single purpose tool like an Sound Level Meter will be more convenient and should be accurate for the purpose.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

mr.k

Late to the party...but I see some people are recommending UMIK-1 for SPL measurements.
It showed absolutely wrong measurement in my case. In fact, forums are full of people like me.
There were myriad explanations what to do...I gave up.
"Cal" mic is one thing, "spl" meter another, indeed :)

If you are using Iphone, NIOSH app is calibrated for Iphone's mic.

Top Bottom