• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SPL Meter Features

Gcoxusa

I need to measure traffic noise on a busy residential road. I was advised to purchase an SPL meter but I need to know what features I should be looking for based on this application. I would appreciate some advice. And any Brand recommendations would be appreciated. I definitely do not want to use a smart phone.

Also, I would to like to be able to generate some kind of report showing the sound levels over a time period. Is that a possible feature or accessory?

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
First your have to understand the difference:

Frequency weighting is a method used to adjust the sensitivity of sound level meters at different frequencies in order to better match the response of the human ear. This is important because the human ear does not have a uniform frequency response; it is more sensitive to some frequencies than others.

There are several types of frequency weightings that can be applied to sound level measurements, including A-weighted, C-weighted, and Z-weighted.

A-weighted: The A-weighted scale is the most commonly used frequency weighting for measuring environmental noise and occupational noise exposure. It is designed to approximate the response of the human ear at low sound levels. An A-weighted measurement (dBA) gives greater emphasis to higher frequencies and less emphasis to lower frequencies. This means that sounds with significant energy in the high-frequency range will be measured as being louder than they would be if measured on a linear scale.

C-weighted: The C-weighted scale is similar to the A-weighted scale but provides less attenuation of low frequencies. It is typically used when measuring peak impulse noise, such as explosions or gunfire. A C-weighted measurement (dBC) gives equal weight to all frequencies above 100 Hz.

Z-weighted: The Z-weighted scale, also known as the "flat" or "linear" scale, applies no frequency weighting to the measurement. All frequencies are given equal weight. This type of measurement is useful when analyzing signals in the time domain or when comparing the overall power of two signals. However, since the human ear's response varies with frequency, Z-weighted measurements do not provide an accurate representation of perceived loudness.

In summary, frequency weightings like A-weighted, C-weighted, and Z-weighted are methods to adjust the sensitivity of sound level meters based on how the human ear responds to various frequencies. These scales help us measure and analyze sound levels accurately while considering the auditory perception of humans.

How is this written?
When writing about frequency weightings, you should specify which weighting has been applied to your sound level measurement by adding the appropriate suffix after the decibel value. Here are examples of how each weighting could be specified:

* For A-weighted measurements, use dBA (decibels adjusted using the A-weighting filter): e.g., "The average noise level during rush hour was 85 dBA."
* For C-weighted measurements, use dBC (decibels adjusted using the C-weighting filter): e.g., "The maximum peak noise from the explosion reached 132 dBC."
* For unweighted (or Z-weighted) measurements, simply use dB (decibels without any correction): e.g., "The raw signal had a peak amplitude of 47 dB."

When mentioning these terms initially, make sure to define them clearly so readers understand their meaning. You may write something like:

"Throughout this report, we utilize three distinct frequency weightings for our sound level measurements – A-weighted (dBA), C-weighted (dBC), and unweighted (dB). To ensure clarity, here's what each term represents:"

Then proceed to explain each weighting briefly before presenting your results throughout the document. By doing this, you enable your audience to comprehend the significance behind each measurement unit and maintain transparency regarding your data analysis process.

Written by AI.

OP
G

Gcoxusa

I appreciate the technical reply, but honestly I didn't find it very helpful. I was looking for recommendations about brands and/or features I should be looking for based on the intended application.

Geert

Major Contributor
Also, I would to like to be able to generate some kind of report showing the sound levels over a time period

Do you intend to use your measurements to file a complaint or to prepare for a legal case? If so, depending on your local regulations, they might require an SPL meter to have an official recent calibration certificate, and they might require an 'Leq' (Equivalent Continuous Sound Level) measurements. An SPL meter that has both is usually very expensive.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
What is your budget? A search of Amazon or other sites will yield many. I personally would look for one that has A and C weightings. One big note: if this is for OSHA or similar measurements, you will need a calibrated meter traceable to a NIST or another standards body, which will limit the meters you get (and increase their cost). Similarly, a data logging/recording SPL meter will be more expensive and are a bit harder to find, but they do exist. I have not looked recently, but would expect to pay $300+ for a data logging meter (compared to $50~$100 for a basic non-logging version), and calibrated versions used for professional monitoring with certificates to be ~$1000 to $1500 or more.

A few manufacturers:
Galaxy Audio -- They make inexpensive SPL meters, among other things, but when I tried the link to their test equipment page was broken

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Also, I would to like to be able to generate some kind of report showing the sound levels over a time period. Is that a possible feature or accessory?

REW (software) can do that as long as you have a calibrated measurement microphone.

I wouldn't trust a cell phone either because the microphone isn't calibrated and you probably won't get A-weighting (which is probably what you want).

I have an old analog Radio Shack SLP meter. It has an electret condenser mic, and the rumor is that electrets lose sensitivity over time. So "just for fun" I bought a little calibrator gizmo (for around $100, so around the same price as a "replacement" SPL meter.) To my surprise, the Radio Shack meter was "perfect" as accurately as I could read the analog meter!

...The calibrator probably isn't "legally calibrated" but at least I know the SPL meter isn't way-off.

Speedskater

Major Contributor
Radio Shack made a:
Realistic 'Sound Level Meter' #33-2050
It was surprisingly accurate, I checked mine on a B&K pro calibrator.
But you can't use it on anything official.

Note that a 'SPL' meter and a calibration microphone are two different units.

OP
G

Gcoxusa

Yes, it was my intention to use the measurements to file a complaint which could easily lead to a legal case. By the time I read these replies I had already ordered a REED Instruments R8080 Data Logging Sound Level Meter. Not sure I messed up or not. But the reason I went with this is because it meets Type 2 standards, and has a USB feature. Also, I expect to monitor traffic for over an hour so the tripod mount should come in handy.

Top Bottom