• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speakers for seriously space limited TV?

ns156

Hi,

Have a unique setup where the TV is placed against a corner wall (one side = wall, one side = door). Not ideal at all, but you make do with the space you got. To make matters worse, there's a sloped ceiling, so the TV is limited in height. The TV is a 55", so it has used up most of the space to either side. My seating distance from the TV is roughly 2m-2.3m.

Overall, a KALLAX unit on the floor gives me about 22.5cm of height to work with before you hit the bottom of the TV, roughly. However, given that it is an old house and the floor is fairly bowed at this point, I'm gonna need to prop the door facing side of the KALLAX up by around 20mm. That means I'll likely need to install feet to prevent bowing of the unit, and thus we lose some height.

Still, I want to avoid being stuck with a soundbar if at all possible, for obvious reasons.

Due to this, I've been thinking about speakers that I could put on their side instead. I thought about something like the KEF LSX, as expensive as they are. They'd be perfect as putting them on their side has zero issues with their sound, but they do still have a ton of issues with software, which is a pain for the price they ask for them. I did look at the LS50s but looks like they're slightly too tall on their side, it'd be a tight fit (they're 20cm tall on side).

I also came across the Micca OoO and MB42-C (I assume you could use them as L-Rs as good as the OoO?) and those might work great due to their limited height when on their side. I'm in the UK but looks like Micca can be imported easily from Amazon. I know the MTM configuration on its side is not good for horizontal dispersion, but perhaps that won't be such a big deal if I'm sitting in the same place (basically spinning around at the desk) all the time when using them?

Open to suggestions or experiences based on similar situations, but my limitations are what they are.

staticV3

Master Contributor
I know the MTM configuration on its side is not good for horizontal dispersion, but perhaps that won't be such a big deal if I'm sitting in the same place (basically spinning around at the desk) all the time when using them?
Just because you're not sitting off-axis, does not mean that the MTM's wonky off-axis response won't come into play.

As long as you're in a reverberant environment, the MTM's colored off-axis response will reach your ears, even if you're sitting perfectly on-axis.

OP
N

ns156

Just because you're not sitting off-axis, does not mean that the MTM's wonky off-axis response won't come into play.

As long as you're in a reverberant environment, the MTM's colored off-axis response will reach your ears, even if you're sitting perfectly on-axis.

In that case, what would you do here?

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Here is the reality of an MTM center channel as measured in-room:

Of course, using more than one of them in stereo could produce less desirable results.

Doctors11

Hi,

Have a unique setup where the TV is placed against a corner wall (one side = wall, one side = door). Not ideal at all, but you make do with the space you got. To make matters worse, there's a sloped ceiling, so the TV is limited in height. The TV is a 55", so it has used up most of the space to either side. My seating distance from the TV is roughly 2m-2.3m.

Overall, a KALLAX unit on the floor gives me about 22.5cm of height to work with before you hit the bottom of the TV, roughly. However, given that it is an old house and the floor is fairly bowed at this point, I'm gonna need to prop the door facing side of the KALLAX up by around 20mm. That means I'll likely need to install feet to prevent bowing of the unit, and thus we lose some height.

Still, I want to avoid being stuck with a soundbar if at all possible, for obvious reasons.

Due to this, I've been thinking about speakers that I could put on their side instead. I thought about something like the KEF LSX, as expensive as they are. They'd be perfect as putting them on their side has zero issues with their sound, but they do still have a ton of issues with software, which is a pain for the price they ask for them. I did look at the LS50s but looks like they're slightly too tall on their side, it'd be a tight fit (they're 20cm tall on side).

I also came across the Micca OoO and MB42-C (I assume you could use them as L-Rs as good as the OoO?) and those might work great due to their limited height when on their side. I'm in the UK but looks like Micca can be imported easily from Amazon. I know the MTM configuration on its side is not good for horizontal dispersion, but perhaps that won't be such a big deal if I'm sitting in the same place (basically spinning around at the desk) all the time when using them?

Open to suggestions or experiences based on similar situations, but my limitations are what they are.
How about the Kef Q150?

OP
N

ns156

How about the Kef Q150?

I suppose the Q150 is an option on its side, as it is only 180mm tall. Just ever so slightly shorter than LS50s in a sideways configuration. It will still be fairly tight given how the KALLAX will probably need feet.

OP
N

ns156

Doctors11

It really depends on your room size, how close you'll be sitting and how loud you like it. For smaller rooms, every review I've read has been very positive.

Edit...do a search on Youtube. There's some great reviews on there.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
A small coaxial speaker would be your best choice if one fits budget and space.

OP
N

ns156

A small coaxial speaker would be your best choice if one fits budget and space.

It seems that way, and I'm all for suggestions to consider. If I could be confident of fitting the LS50M's once adding in the feet for the KALLAX I'd call it a day there, but...

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
small coaxial speaker would be your best choice if one fits budget and space.

Something like Kali's IN-UNF might work well here: https://www.kaliaudio.com/multimedia-in-unf

However, if the separate bass and amplifier module takes up too much space or is too much of a hassle, then I would personally go with something like a Fostex 6301: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...ms_6301nb_power_d_class_monitor.html/overview

Summing left & right channels for a mono only centered setup (using an adapter) could also work well which is what I mostly have been using it for myself...

1702910407313.png 1702910538364.jpeg 1702910546792.jpeg

Last edited:

Zapper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I would think a pair of small (4" / 100cm) studio monitors with subwoofer would work well. Studio monitors often have EQ switches to adjust for wall proximity without needing external DSP. Something like the Genelec 8010a / 7040a.

Also, give soundbars a chance. The best ones are actually fairly good.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Isn't that just designed for ultra-nearfield?

Yes... though either of these two should still sound quite loud enough even at a distance compared to other monitor speakers of the same size.

Doctors11

Hi,

What did you decide?

lindalupo

Hi everyone,

Your setup sounds like a real challenge, but it's great to see you making the most of your space! It's understandable you want to avoid a soundbar and opt for something more premium. Considering your constraints, speakers like the KEF LSX could be an excellent choice, especially if you can find a way to accommodate their height. While they may have some software issues, their premium features of castle could really enhance your audio experience. If you're open to exploring alternatives, perhaps researching compact yet high-quality speakers designed for space-constrained setups could offer a solution that fits both your space and your desire for premium sound. Best of luck with your setup!

Bundle of Thanks!!

Top Bottom