• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Limited space, trail rig YJ-infinite baffle subwoofer set up

Oliverk30YJ

Hi, first time here. I've asked high and low across all the other audio forums I could find, I hope I can find some answers here. I'm somewhat experienced in car audio, but my 87 YJ has me stumped on getting any appreciable bass with it having a soft top, and space for a proper sized sub and box being non-existent. I remembered yesterday having learned a little bit about infinite baffle midranges, but I dont have much knowledge on IB subs, important info, and what to expect quality wise. Any tips, advice, and knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

My jeep is far from stock, and I would say that I am an expert fabricator, I could make anything needed for the set up such as weather protection, heat shielding, and sound deflection.

My ideas have been been to either mount the subs onto the roll cage down firing, with some kind of a very short tube/guide to get the back wave through the soft top and out of the cab. Mounting them into the wheel wells and kicking the back wave down and away from the cab is another. Mouting them through the firewall as well, I can reinforce the area, and temperatures on the engine side of the kick area are only around 30° above ambient.

I even have been tossing the idea back and forth of doing a wheelwell or firewall mount, and doing an enclosure leading to the exhaust to put it under like a 15% vacuum in order to extract the pressure waves, and destroy the sound waves in the exhaust

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Welcome!

Quite the project! Unfortunately, I have nothing of value to offer but will be interested in what you end up doing.

In the mean time, if you want to post a few pics in our "Show us your cars" thread, you may get another group to chime in.

Top Bottom