• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speakers for low wattage amp tube

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
206nv is designed to be the successor of 206e. This is what I read on the web.
Right -- but the question is how similar or different to the FE206E it sounds. I find the FE166E and FE206E kind of tough to listen to (with many typical recordings... not all) - although my experience with both is in non-folded TQWT enclosures.
Just my own opinion(s), of course.

OP
K

Kartingboy

Oh, @Kartingboy -- did you see this very interesting thread on this very interesting 'fullrange' Fane driver?
If not, I'd encourage you to take a look. I don't know how easy, or hard, these drivers are to find (they're apparently no longer in production), but this should be an easy route to a simple, sensitive, but pretty extended range loudspeaker. Yes, it will beam -- but that may be of zero consequence depending on your room geometry and your listening preferences.

index.php

index.php

(two images lifted from the above-referenced thread)

I found this always with currently available Fane drivers. https://www.hifisubjectivist.org/viewtopic.php?t=49137

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
If you wish to go the DIY route, I would STRONGLY advise you to purchase a ready-made kit, and preferably one that has measurements to give you an idea of the characteristics. Because you have indicated to us that your finances have limits, I would not advise slapping driver "X" in box "Y" and expecting it to sound acceptable. Learning things the hard way can be intersting, but it can also be expensive.

Don't ask me how I know that. :) :)

Jim
Alternatively, if @Kartingboy is comfortable butchering working with wood and if he works with an existing plan for enclosure and specified driver(s), he should be fine.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Oh, I think your points are well taken @Jim Taylor!
Pieces of wood run and hide when they see me coming with a saw... or even a ruler, so I do really appreciate the recent proliferation of "flat-pack" kits!
Some people, can 'do' wood. My son's one of them, as it happens. :) But I am not.

DanielT

Major Contributor
Bummer, that particular video won't play for me. What does he say?
It was about the fact that his expectations did not live up to what he then heard in terms of groups playing the blues at small events.

It doesn't sound like much fun when I say it. It was probably mostly his facial expressions that made it fun.:)

DanielT

Major Contributor
This may be of interest:

What Tubes Want

Tubes like a resistive load - it's really that simple. A resistive load translates to a flat impedance, and an inductive rather than a capacitive phase angle. A less technical way of looking at an ideal speaker from a tube's point of view is as follows: tubes like consistency. They prefer a speaker that doesn't swing from 8 ohms to 2 ohms and back again. If the impedance is going to dip it should do so gradually, or in small dips. Tubes like a steady load - capacitance is the opposite. When a speaker behaves in a capacitative manner, it presents an uneven load to the amp, asking for current in sudden spurts. Tubes don't like to pump out current at the drop of a hat. They prefer a consistent and predictable load.

What we see here is a speaker whose published nominal impedance (8 ohms) bears little relation at all to its actual impedance. For large spreads of the audible bandwidth this speaker measures under 4 ohms. Likewise at around 55 Hz. there is a very steep capacitive phase angle which intersects with a low impedance. Taken together these two factors place very substantial demands on the amplifier. This speaker has a published sensitivity of 91 db/watt. Is it clear now how misleading sensitivity can be when selecting a tube-friendly speaker? Of all of the speakers we have measured thus far, the one with the highest sensitivity has been the worst choice for tubes.

Edit:
I'm not a "tube guy" so if what I quoted is not entirely correct the you tube people can comment on it. I've actually heard it said before, that even impedance and tubes are a good combo. :)

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Tube amp circuits that have a relatively high output resistance will exhibit the most desirable (from a technically correct amp operation, ie no coloration) with a speaker that has a flat impedance response with not deep dips nor high peaks.
Such amps have a sound depending on the load.

Speaker designers can actually create a 'flatter impedance' response but costs money and for most amps will do nothing beneficial.
Tube amp designers can lower the output resistance of their amps by increasing open-loop gain and using overall feedback.
But that defeats the purpose of the 'good tube sound' these designers are after. That sound is load dependent.

It is not inherently to tube amps though but rather the design (mostly overall feedback).
Most people that buy tube amps do this on the merit of them (change the tonal signature) on their speakers in their room or based on the promise of 'best sound quality'.
Changing speakers or amps may result in more or less desirable sound (and contribute to the tube amp sound debate).

How much power one really needs depends on efficiency, room size, listening distance, desired maximum SPL.
For instance, when using a separate sub with a more powerful amp and high-pass on the low power amp for the mains can increase the maximum delivered SPL.

OP
K

Kartingboy

This may be of interest:

What Tubes Want

Tubes like a resistive load - it's really that simple. A resistive load translates to a flat impedance, and an inductive rather than a capacitive phase angle. A less technical way of looking at an ideal speaker from a tube's point of view is as follows: tubes like consistency. They prefer a speaker that doesn't swing from 8 ohms to 2 ohms and back again. If the impedance is going to dip it should do so gradually, or in small dips. Tubes like a steady load - capacitance is the opposite. When a speaker behaves in a capacitative manner, it presents an uneven load to the amp, asking for current in sudden spurts. Tubes don't like to pump out current at the drop of a hat. They prefer a consistent and predictable load.

What we see here is a speaker whose published nominal impedance (8 ohms) bears little relation at all to its actual impedance. For large spreads of the audible bandwidth this speaker measures under 4 ohms. Likewise at around 55 Hz. there is a very steep capacitive phase angle which intersects with a low impedance. Taken together these two factors place very substantial demands on the amplifier. This speaker has a published sensitivity of 91 db/watt. Is it clear now how misleading sensitivity can be when selecting a tube-friendly speaker? Of all of the speakers we have measured thus far, the one with the highest sensitivity has been the worst choice for tubes.

Edit:
I'm not a "tube guy" so if what I quoted is not entirely correct the you tube people can comment on it. I've actually heard it said before, that even impedance and tubes are a good combo. :)

I printed this page weeks ago. It's a very interesting article and well written.

Actually my budget isn't so low and this time I would prefer to test different speakers solution without spending a lot of money immediately. So I suppose to try something in DIY and, why not, looking for second hand products in the used market. No rush at all. Because of rush I wasted some money in the past choosing wrong gear.
Now i Would like to experiment quietly.

Last edited:

DanielT

Major Contributor
Tube amp circuits that have a relatively high output resistance will exhibit the most desirable (from a technically correct amp operation, ie no coloration) with a speaker that has a flat impedance response with not deep dips nor high peaks.
Such amps have a sound depending on the load.

Speaker designers can actually create a 'flatter impedance' response but costs money and for most amps will do nothing beneficial.
Tube amp designers can lower the output resistance of their amps by increasing open-loop gain and using overall feedback.
But that defeats the purpose of the 'good tube sound' these designers are after. That sound is load dependent.

It is not inherently to tube amps though but rather the design (mostly overall feedback).
Most people that buy tube amps do this on the merit of them (change the tonal signature) on their speakers in their room or based on the promise of 'best sound quality'.
Changing speakers or amps may result in more or less desirable sound (and contribute to the tube amp sound debate).

How much power one really needs depends on efficiency, room size, listening distance, desired maximum SPL.
For instance, when using a separate sub with a more powerful amp and high-pass on the low power amp for the mains can increase the maximum delivered SPL.
A fun challenge to match tube amp with speakers. That is if you want a colored sound. If you are not interested in coloring, I see no reason to use tube amplifiers.

Your proposal with active subwoofer (with HP-LP filter) plus tube amp I have also advocated in the thread.:)
I printed this page weeks ago. It's a very interesting article and well written.

Actually my budget isn't so low and this time I would prefer to test different speakers solution without spending a lot of money immediately. So I suppose to try something in DIY and, why not, looking for second hand products in the used market. No rush at all. Because of rush I wasted some money in the past choosing wrong gear.
Buying used speakers, some different ones to test, sounds like a good idea to me!:)

You quickly understand an approximate price, what you can buy and sell used speakers for. Unusual brands, models can of course be a bit of a gamble.

If you have the opportunity, measure the speakers/speaker elements with the multimeter. Examine that they measure well/equal. Although have also bought used speakers without doing so.

Old speakers with foam edges in the bass membrane, watch out. They may have started to rot away and may need refoaming.
(which you can do, refom if necessary, check Youtube videos about it)

Small speakers, which you can send by post, are easier to sell.

That was some of my experiences buying and selling used speakers.:)

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I see no reason to use tube amplifiers.

A reason could be that one likes the look of it or prefers the sound (combination of amp and speaker).
Not everyone has the same goal (signal fidelity).

Those are sufficient reasons for me that some like to use tube gear.
Technically they are not as good and rareky are poor sounding (despite relatively huge amounts of distortion and deviating frequency response) but they have something 'magical' and 'nostalgic' to them.
There are some real good 'lookers' in this thread.

It's a bit like the wife buying a necklace. They don't really need one but have a preference and they all like wearing something 'different' now and then and preferably different from the ones other women wear they come in contact with.
Same is true for watches (regardless of gender) and clothes.

Personal enjoyment is key over technical proficiency for the vast majority of people. Just not for everyone. Some of them like to gather here and piss on everything they do not prrefer. :)

DanielT

Major Contributor
A reason could be that one likes the look of it or prefers the sound (combination of amp and speaker).
Not everyone has the same goal (signal fidelity).

Those are sufficient reasons for me that some like to use tube gear.
Technically they are not as good and rareky are poor sounding (despite relatively huge amounts of distortion and deviating frequency response) but they have something 'magical' and 'nostalgic' to them.
There are some real good 'lookers' in this thread.

It's a bit like the wife buying a necklace. They don't really need one but have a preference and they all like wearing something 'different' now and then and preferably different from the ones other women wear they come in contact with.
Same is true for watches (regardless of gender) and clothes.

Personal enjoyment is key over technical proficiency for the vast majority of people. Just not for everyone. Some of them like to gather here and piss on everything they do not prrefer. :)
You are absolutely right about that, the looks. Damn how beautiful these tube amps can look. Especially when it's cold and dark outside and they light up with their cozy glow.:)

Speaking of looks. Although surely let say one :..

.. maybe measures better, has more power (with the right power supply) than:

... I would still have chosen the HK330C as an additional amplifier (desktop, bedroom amp and so on). In fact I sold my Aiyima-a07 and bought a HK330C. Much because of its looks.:)

(Not mine in the video)

DanielT

Major Contributor

Speaking of used speakers. Search for the used speaker you are interested in to see if any measurements have been made.
If you're lucky, something of interest may turn up. I took one at random as an example. Here you see how the stated sensitivity of the manufacturer matches the measurement. FR is as usual of interest but also in your case what John Atkinson says about impedance:

"The speaker's impedance is specified as being "8 ohm compatible," with a minimum value of 4.2 ohms. My measurement is shown in fig.1—an 8 ohm rating would be fair, particularly given the generally moderate phase angle, but the minimum magnitude was 3.87 ohms between 190 and 200Hz."

412yoHh5I8L._SS400_.jpg

OP
K

Kartingboy

Speaking of used speakers. Search for the used speaker you are interested in to see if any measurements have been made.
If you're lucky, something of interest may turn up. I took one at random as an example. Here you see how the stated sensitivity of the manufacturer matches the measurement. FR is as usual of interest but also in your case what John Atkinson says about impedance:

"The speaker's impedance is specified as being "8 ohm compatible," with a minimum value of 4.2 ohms. My measurement is shown in fig.1—an 8 ohm rating would be fair, particularly given the generally moderate phase angle, but the minimum magnitude was 3.87 ohms between 190 and 200Hz."

View attachment 256407

Certainly
I always check phase/impedance graph before considering a speaker.
Does anyone know where I can find the measurements of Indiana line 022. I can't find it anywhere. I have a pair of these in good overall condition and their sensibility should be 93dB/1W mt. I will try pairing with Leben but a phase/impedance graph would be much appreciated.

zman01

Kartingboy,

A few words on the options you are looking at...

A wide-band (also known as "full-range") driver will have it's limitation in SPL output (how loud it can go), and frequency response (how much of the frequency range it can cover), and is likely to have some unevenness in the response too. But all is not lost :), they can still be enjoyable with certain genres and at reasonable SPL levels (depends on person to person preference and room size :)).

The Fostex model you have mentioned is an example of a wide-band driver. I have some experience with an older driver, the FE206EN, and did not like it that much. I found that Mark Audio drivers can be installed in simpler and smaller cabinets, and cover more of the frequency range on both high and low frequencies. The sensitivity is lower vs Fostex, but still can go do loud levels with tube or low wattage amps.

There is also a new SB Acoustics wide-band driver that is supposed to perform well with a simple BSC circuit. There is a 5" Tang-Band unit with paper cone which folks have found good too.

A word of caution, in my experience tube-amps paired with single wide-band driver speakers can handle less complex and lighter musical genres at reasonable levels quite well; there might be some coloration to the sound, but many find them enjoyable. With heavier genres (like rock, metal) my experience was not so good.

Hence I had an earlier post asking you about your preferred genres/types of music.

Last edited:
OP
K

Kartingboy

Kartingboy,

A few words on the options you are looking at...

A wide-band (also known as "full-range") driver will have it's limitation in SPL output (how loud it can go), and frequency response (how much of the frequency range it can cover), and is likely to have some unevenness in the response too. But all is not lost :), they can still be enjoyable with certain genres and at reasonable SPL levels (depends on person to person preference and room size :)).

The Fostex model you have mentioned is an example of a wide-band driver. I have some experience with an older driver, the FE206EN, and did not like it that much. I found that Mark Audio drivers can be installed in simpler and smaller cabinets, and cover more of the frequency range on both high and low frequencies. The sensitivity is lower vs Fostex, but still can go do loud levels with tube or low wattage amps.

There is also a new SB Acoustics wide-band driver that is supposed to perform well with a simple BSC circuit. There is a 5" Tang-Band unit with paper cone which folks have found good too.

A word of caution, in my experience tube-amps paired with single wide-band driver speakers can handle less complex and lighter musical genres at reasonable levels quite well; there might be some coloration to the sound, but many find them enjoyable. With heavier genres (like rock, metal) my experience was not so good.

Hence I had an earlier post asking you about your preferred genres/types of music.

I don't consider tube+full range for heavy/hard genres listening. Just for jazz, vocals and unplugged music. If I want to play loud I use my Sansui au7900 + JBL L112 system, a real beast of power and sounds amazing too.

zman01

I don't consider tube+full range for heavy/hard genres listening. Just for jazz, vocals and unplugged music. If I want to play loud I use my Sansui au7900 + JBL L112 system, a real beast of power and sounds amazing too.

Kartingboy,

Then you might try out the Tube amp + Full-range experiment... :)

Some drivers that come to mind:

- Mark Audio CHP-90
- Tang Band W5-2143
- SB Acoustics SB20FRPC30-8

Top Bottom