• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speaker wire

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Banana plugs are perfect for the back of the amp or AVR. At the back of the front speakers I'm preferring the spades because of their angle and space saving. My on-wall speakers just use bare wire.
Well, use them if you like. I saw enough flakiness under ideal conditions that I won't.

OldHvyMec

Forum Donor
What is funny to me, is a roll of #12AWG 50 foot or a pair from Ali Express cables that are terminated and 3 meter or so, is close in price.
20.00-30.00 for a roll, or 20-30.00 for a packaged pair of cables. There is no need to pick the ugliest thing you can find just because it works
either. Ugly is ugly. Do you willfully go for ugly women when you have a choice? I could argue a wheelchair will get you there or a bus
or your own car, transportation is transportation.

You could use Romex you dug out of a dumpster too. Personally I don't, BUT it doesn't mean I haven't. LOL

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No it’s not a flexible cord’s maximum current rating is subject to how it is installed if for example it was covered with a thick layer of fibreglass then it would be derated. Nothing to do with audio or power use.
We are talking speaker cable, which is not installed and not covered. What you are talking is cable installed in buildings. No relation.

Think how the maximum current capacity of a cable is defined and you will understand what I said v

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
A quick question, banana plugs are a must or it's just an easier way to connect the wire?

Mostly just for convenience.

There is no need to pick the ugliest thing you can find just because it works
either. Ugly is ugly.

You can get DIY cable sleeves in all kinds of designs and materials ;)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
No it’s not a flexible cord’s maximum current rating is subject to how it is installed if for example it was covered with a thick layer of fibreglass then it would be derated. Nothing to do with audio or power use.
I use charts called free air and and enclosed to select current ratings of wire.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I use charts called free air and and enclosed to select current ratings of wire.
How do you select what current level to choose for a speaker cable?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
How do you select which current level to choose for a speaker cable?
Free air. Therefore the wire can handle more current.

EDIT: Providing there is no sheath around the cable and it's dielectric.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I always start with the cable risers I'm going to use, then select the cable that most closely matches those.

/;)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Like this?
Let us select 14 AWB gauge wire. It has a resistance of around 15 Ohms for a kilometre, 30 Ohms for both lines. For a 3m cable cable that is around 0.1 Ohm. When a 4 Ohm speaker is fed by it, the bass frequencies will modulate the tweeter at around -30dB level. Maybe that’s not much but this is a forum where we diss DACs that measure less than 100dB SINAD.

This is why electrical charts are meaningless.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Let us select 14 AWB gauge wire. It has a resistance of around 15 Ohms for a kilometre, 30 Ohms for both lines. For a 3m cable cable that is around 0.1 Ohm. When a 4 Ohm speaker is fed by it, the bass frequencies will modulate the tweeter at around -30dB level. Maybe not much but this a forum where we diss DACs that measure less than 100dB SINAD.

This is why electrical charts are meaningless.
Wow. Thanks for the calculations. Very revealing. When I used the chart I was wiring chemical trailers for fracking operations. Not for Hi Fi audio duty.
Like this stuff.>>

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Please explain, or was it just making fun of the o/p?
I already explained and I wasn’t making fun. If you tell me what is not clear for you I will try to elaborate.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I already explained and I wasn’t making fun. If you tell me what is not clear for you I will try to elaborate.
Could you post the link to that explanation as I don't seem to find it either?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Could you post the link to that explanation as I don't seem to find it either?
There is no link. It’s Ohms Law and decibel calculation. Very basic.

As the most energy is generated by bass notes, the voltage drop caused by the cable resistance will modulate the high frequency signal that is emitted by the tweeter, which is fed by the same cable. In order to find the level of that, find the speaker wire resistance and divide that to the lower part of the speaker resistance. That’s the ratio that will modulate the voltage fed to the speaker unit. Convert that to dB. I chose 3m AWG #14 wire and 4 Ohm speaker.

Last edited:

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There is no link. It’s Ohms Law and decibel calculation.

As the most energy is generated by bass notes, they will modulate the high frequency signal that is emitted by the tweeter. In order to find the level of that find the speaker wire resistance and divide that to the lower part of the speaker resistance. I chose 4 Ohms. That’s the ratio that will modulate the voltage fed to the speaker unit. Convert that to dab.
On which physical principle should a lower frequency signal modulate the a higher frequency signal in a wire? This is not a voltage divider or a total current brickwall limiter.

Top Bottom