• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speaker wire

ArchDevil

Just bought Polk Audio XT15 as my first bookshelf speakers for my living room and forgot that it came without cables.
Went to a local shop here and they have a bunch of Cambridge Audio wires but different types:
CA Symphony 100, 200, 300, 400.
They also have HAMA and Atlas brand cables which are twice or triple expensive.
Does it really matter that much the difference in cable for 2-3meters of length?

It's my first passive speakers so be easy
thanks ahead

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The linked cables show no specs or I miss them, I cannot comment.

I use 2.5mm2 section multi-strand copper electrical cable of similar length that I bought from my local DIY supermarket, which specified for 2000W power transfer.

I compared them with cables costing five digits and there was no difference. Check my system, linked in the signature.

Enjoy your system.

Last edited:

Mojo Warrior

Do not torture yourself over speaker cables. There is no special magic. Just go to the hardware store and get some 12 gauge wire in the length you desire and connect the speakers and enjoy the music. There are long threads here on ASR about Snake Oil. Wire is wire, and conducts electrons without audible problems. You will not be able to hear a difference unless the speaker cable is specifically designed to sound inferior in order to promote more expensive products. This is after 50 years of experience in this hobby.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

DonR

Major Contributor
I think the 200's are 16AWG equivalent and the 100's are 18AWG. Unless you are running huge lengths or large amounts of power, the 200's are probably fine. I would avoid the 100's. At less than GBP2 per metre, I don't see much to complain about. Ignore the sales blurb, it's BS.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the 200's are 16AWG equivalent and the 100's are 18AWG. Unless you are running huge lengths or large amounts of power, the 200's are probably fine. I would avoid the 100's. At less than GBP2 per metre, I don't see much to complain about. Ignore the sales blurb, it's BS.
Its pretty bad for Richards Sound not to say the cross section value though, isn't it? Or am I blind? :)

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
The linked cables show no specs or I miss them, I cannot comment.

I use 2.5mm2 section multi-strand copper electrical cable of similar length that I bought from my local DIY supermarket, which specified for 2000W power transfer.

I compared them with cables costing five digits and there was no difference. Check my system, linked in the signature.

Enjoy your system.
The DIY supermarket’s rating is far too low, 1.5mm2 cable can carry up to 3000 Watts.

DonR

Major Contributor

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The DIY supermarket’s rating is far too low, 1.5mm2 cable can carry up to 3000 Watts.
That’s for electrical tolerance, which is higher than for audio use.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll mention my usual go-to for economy: a large gauge extension cord on sale.

Speedskater

Major Contributor
Audio power has nothing to do with it! You could run several hundred Watts of music thru a 22AWG cable.
It's all about end-to-end resistance and loudspeaker impedance curve. Heck, a woofer voice coil is probable smaller than 22AWG.

OP
ArchDevil

ArchDevil

First of all, thanks a lot for so quick responses.
So after trying to find any info on the cambridge wires i went with @Chromatischism recommendation with this 12 Gauge Wire.
A quick question, banana plugs are a must or it's just an easier way to connect the wire?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
First of all, thanks a lot for so quick responses.
So after trying to find any info on the cambridge wires i went with @Chromatischism recommendation with this 12 Gauge Wire.
A quick question, banana plugs are a must or it's just an easier way to connect the wire?
I don't like them. Even the Pomona plugs at work show variations as you wiggle them.

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
That’s for electrical tolerance, which is higher than for audio use.
No it’s not a flexible cord’s maximum current rating is subject to how it is installed if for example it was covered with a thick layer of fibreglass then it would be derated. Nothing to do with audio or power use.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I prefer spade lugs to banana.
I use ring-tongue when I can, with a copper crush washer if the post is wrenchable.

Top Bottom