• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bookshelf speaker passive at 300€

Arianoxx

Hi, I’ve got an old amplifier from my dad (technics ca-1080). I want to buy a new pair of speakers without spending more than 300/400€. I’m going to use them in a room of 25sqm with a wooden ceiling, and I need to put them really close to a wall. I’d really love a speaker with a great bass extension (I won’t use a subwoofer, at least not at the beginning). For that price I’ve seen that there is the elac b6.2 (~250€), the q3030i (390€), the Wharfedale 12.1 (330€), the polk xt20 (240€) and the monitor audio bronze 50 (350€).
I know that for the budget in question the emotiva b1+ is really great, but I can’t find it in Italy. Can someone help me make the best choice?
PS: right now I’m using a Bose SoundTouch 20 and I’d like to get something better. Thanks a lot

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Welcome to the forum.

Under $400 best ranked is

See @sweetchaos ”passive speaker list”

3125b

Major Contributor
OP
A

Arianoxx

Welcome to the forum.

Under $400 best ranked is

See @sweetchaos ”passive speaker list”
Thanks a lot! However the only thing that is keeping me from buying the 12.1 is the bass. I’m afraid that the low frequencies won’t be as impressive and “big” as other would be (I can’t add a subwoofer from the start because the amplifier doesn’t have a sub out port). Do you think that is good enough?

OP
A

Arianoxx

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Oh wow, I’ve never heard of that website, i will keep on eye on that for sure, thanks!
Go for Elac DBR62, QA Q3030i are not bad (I have them) but are a bit difficult to handle, deep and back ported (needing more free space behind to sound good and limited choice regarding stands as they are 32 cm deep).

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Thanks a lot! However the only thing that is keeping me from buying the 12.1 is the bass. I’m afraid that the low frequencies won’t be as impressive and “big” as other would be (I can’t add a subwoofer from the start because the amplifier doesn’t have a sub out port). Do you think that is good enough?
There is plenty of sub's with RCA I/O and high pass filter trough it but it does need a little bit more tuning when you go like that.

Roland68

Major Contributor
If you have concerns about the bass, wouldn't floorstanding speakers be an alternative? You would then also have the budget for the stands available.
There are some interesting 2 1/2 way speakers with 2 x 15-17cm chassis, or 3 way with 3 x 15-17cm chassis. Often available as B-stock, exhibition pieces or discontinued models. Ideal for 25sqm.
You can get a pair of ELAC Debut F5.2s in the Mediamarkt treasure trove for €389 + shipping, but I don't know if they ship to Italy. But there are also other cheap offers.

Also check out your local used market.

tw 2022

Addicted to Fun and Learning
splurge and get the dbr 62s... you won't get uprade-itis for a while.... you are correct about the emo b1+, i have a pair that's been Dennis Murphy "modded" ,,they're good... my upgrade path from them will have to start at $1000 ...

OP
A

Arianoxx

Hi, I’ve forgotten to say that I’ve bought the dbr62 (at 329€) and I’m very happy with it. Now I’m planning to change my amplifier with a topping pa5 or wiim amp and in the future buy a subwoofer to get also deeper bass. So thanks everybody that helped me making the right decision

Top Bottom