• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speaker Stands - desktop/office set up - is it just me…?

mmi

This is one reason I picked Genelec over others, they have a good range of first party stands. I have white 8010s with matching desktop L stands, they actually look quite nice IMO and work well.

Last edited:

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I use these with my Adam Audio T7V monitors. They're a bit pricey but they work for me.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My current set up is a desktop affair, with speakers on stands either side of the desk. It’s a work in progress.

I don’t know why I’ve not thought about this before, but sat in an office/gaming chair, you’re ears are far higher than if you’re sat on a sofa, or in an armchair.

If my sums are right, I believe I’ll need stands which are 95cm tall. I’ve found some, but they’re thin on the ground.

Is it just me, or do others find this is an issue?
Not sure about the UK but in the US there are some tastefully-designed adjustable-height speaker stands that don't look like PA speaker stands and don't cost stupid money. For example, these:

OP
Yorkshire Mouth

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
Not sure about the UK but in the US there are some tastefully-designed adjustable-height speaker stands that don't look like PA speaker stands and don't cost stupid money. For example, these:

Cheers. Only available over here imported from the US, prices quite high.

Thanks anyway.

Pareto Pragmatic

I always used books for desktop speaker stands.
Me too! For the very reasons you say. Another benefit is for anyone who swaps speakers on occasion, in that the books can be adjusted for free. Admittedly, I do have over 200 books to choose from in my office, along with a heck of a lot of journals (thin) for fine tuning.

I will also point out that books can go under stands to increase the height. Which likely increases options for the OP, and for others who might be in a similar situation.

OP
Yorkshire Mouth

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
Me too! For the very reasons you say. Another benefit is for anyone who swaps speakers on occasion, in that the books can be adjusted for free. Admittedly, I do have over 200 books to choose from in my office, along with a heck of a lot of journals (thin) for fine tuning.

I will also point out that books can go under stands to increase the height. Which likely increases options for the OP, and for others who might be in a similar situation.

On top of the stand, below the speaker?

Pareto Pragmatic

On top of the stand, below the speaker?
I do under the stand. Under the speaker you need to think about the stand itself, since you can end up making it a bit tippy from being top heavy.

For a lot of books, under the stand for sure. For one or two, maybe under the speaker.

Top Bottom