• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

speaker size and room size

JerryM

Hello all,
I realize there are a lot of variables, BUT. in general I am looking for some input on what Revel Performa 3 model to use in my room (not the Be version, too $$$).
  • My listening area is one side of a 15 x 32 room with 11 foot ceilings. The other half is a ktchen /bar area.
  • The front wall has a large opening that goes down a hall.
  • The back wall, which I am sitting against has a large opening on each end. Point being, I think it would be pretty hard to overload the area. I am sitting about 12' from the speakers which have about a 10' spread. There is some "acoustic" artwork on the wall behind the listening position but not much else other than sofas.
  • I already have one of the newer 10" Martin Logan subs.
  • I can have the front of the speakers up to 24 o 30" ma off the front wall
Do you think I could get away with the M106's and the sub? Or would that be an exercise in futility?

I appreciate any feedback!

Attachments

• listening area 1.jpg
    listening area 1.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 136
  • listening area 2.jpg
    listening area 2.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 136

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor
Hello all,
I realize there are a lot of variables, BUT. in general I am looking for some input on what Revel Performa 3 model to use in my room (not the Be version, too $$$).
  • My listening area is one side of a 15 x 32 room with 11 foot ceilings. The other half is a ktchen /bar area.
  • The front wall has a large opening that goes down a hall.
  • The back wall, which I am sitting against has a large opening on each end. Point being, I think it would be pretty hard to overload the area. I am sitting about 12' from the speakers which have about a 10' spread. There is some "acoustic" artwork on the wall behind the listening position but not much else other than sofas.
  • I already have one of the newer 10" Martin Logan subs.
  • I can have the front of the speakers up to 24 o 30" ma off the front wall
Do you think I could get away with the M106's and the sub? Or would that be an exercise in futility?

I appreciate any feedback!
Yes, I think you can get away with the M106's and the sub.

Consider a Performa3 F206 or Performa3 F208. In his review of the JBL Studio 590 loudspeaker, Amir commented 'I have talked in the past about how tower speakers project an image that is impressively large and not replicable with smaller bookshelf speakers.' I have used a Hsu STF-2 subwoofer and stand-mounted Revel M16's but currently prefer the image projected by Polk Audio ES60 'tower' loudspeakers.

suttondesign

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
i can practically smell room reinforcing modes in that space, so your idea of small mains and one or more separate subs is a great approach. however, the room is large enough that mains with the highest spl and best directivity characteristics you can afford is a good idea. a second sub would also help even out room response.

i personally do not agree with amir on the benefit of larger speakers, at least not in most residential rooms. a tailored 2.2 system is wonderful, most gratifying, esp with the ability to tailor the sub response to taste.

the m106 looks like a great option, and crutchfield has scratched ones for a great price. check a&b tv in austin, too. they do clearance and open-box.

OP
J

JerryM

i can practically smell room reinforcing modes in that space, so your idea of small mains and one or more separate subs is a great approach. however, the room is large enough that mains with the highest spl and best directivity characteristics you can afford is a good idea. a second sub would also help even out room response.

i personally do not agree with amir on the benefit of larger speakers, at least not in most residential rooms. a tailored 2.2 system is wonderful, most gratifying, esp with the ability to tailor the sub response to taste.

the m106 looks like a great option, and crutchfield has scratched ones for a great price. check a&b tv in austin, too. they do clearance and open-box.
Thanks, Is it the shape of the room or glass? I naively asumed since there were several large openings out of the area that the loading would be hard. But then again that's why I asked for opinions!
Yes, I think you can get away with the M106's and the sub.

Consider a Performa3 F206 or Performa3 F208. In his review of the JBL Studio 590 loudspeaker, Amir commented 'I have talked in the past about how tower speakers project an image that is impressively large and not replicable with smaller bookshelf speakers.' I have used a Hsu STF-2 subwoofer and stand-mounted Revel M16's but currently prefer the image projected by Polk Audio ES60 'tower' loudspeakers.
Thanks !

suttondesign

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The long parallel walls and the close distance of the listener to the back wall are the problems. The close ratio of ceiling height to wall height also a problem.

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
Like many have to , you seem to be forcing yourself to sitting too close to the wall and the speakers are too close to the wall too. No carpet and hard surfaces gives a risk of flutterecho.
whatever you do makes sure to audition at home before buying. Dirac room correction can be of help and maybe a better investment than new speakers .

OP
J

JerryM

I appreciate the feedback and suggestions. I was planning on buying a mini-dsp or other DSP unit (suggestions welcome) and putting some type of wife approved acoustic treatments on the wall behind the speakers and sofas.

Top Bottom