• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SpaceX Starship could be ready for Mars in 4 years.

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Let's take bets on when Elon will make his first spaceflight...

I pick "never" for whoever sets up the pool.
I'd probably take the other side of that pool. But I also doubt he will ever go to Mars.

Marc v E

Major Contributor
When I see SpaceX's predictions they seem based on solid science.
And they got the track record and motivation to do it.

I used to be against the billions going into space vehicles and the space station.
Mainly because so much still need to be fixed on our own planet.
I changed my mind only recently. It was when I realized that it will have a really positive effect on people all over the world.
It is a common goal that's beyond what we can do currently, but that is technically possible.
And colonizing Mars will require a lot of ingenuity and inventions that can be used back home on earth.
People need motivation. And they are only motivated with a clear need in sight. Mars will provide that.

A great book that shows Mars is within our reach and what kind of technology will be required to get further is: The case for space by Robert Zubrin.
https://www.amazon.com/Case-Space-Revolution-Spaceflight-Possibility-ebook/dp/B07HDSSKHJ

Tks

Major Contributor
The same guy calling Corona dumb, and their will be zero cases by April 2020?

The same guy saying he's selling all his possessions and will own no house?

The same guy saying Tesla stock price is too high?

The same guy who tried to name his kid this: "X Æ A-12", but was later found to be illegal by California state law which doesn't allow non-English characters, so he had to settle for "X Æ A-Xii", but also failed, due to "Æ" being ??? So settled on "X AE A-XII". (For those wondering, it's a model of aircraft).

The same guy who dumped on the rescue effort in 2018 of some kids trapped in an underwater cave in Thailand after making a false promise to make portable subs that will get them out?

(Bonus for his fans)

The same guy who also said "Use Signal" and people ended up buying up a ton of stock on a company traded as Signal on the stock market - when all Elon was saying was to use Signal which is a messaging app.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for the scientific claims, he's made a complete mockery of himself with the Hyperloop (claims of fast transportation and for virtually pennies) but this concept has been Co-Opted by wishful thinking venture capitalist (something Elon specializes in attracting), who are paying out the ass for a completely insane concept straight out of the 20th century (high speed trains in a tunnel concepts from science fiction).

And he's make a complete mockery of NASA by getting contracts and funding based on the claims that SpaceX rockets can do space missions for cheaper (when that has yet to materialize even compared to NASA's estimates based on past space missions). At best, he has met them for cargo transportation, when the missions NASA ran, were spec'd for manned flight missions.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can't tell if this guy has psychosis, or legit has so much fuck-you money - that he's basically acting out some childish troll fantasy knowing nothing he does, could really take it away for him or his family.

Marc v E

Major Contributor
Let's take bets on when Elon will make his first spaceflight...

I pick "never" for whoever sets up the pool.

They aim to reach orbit by the end of 2021. Basically what they're trying to solve before going to Mars is:
-fixing the tiles to the rocket, taking into account that the rocket's metal shrinks and expands
-keeping fuel pressure from the header tanks in a manner that's reusable
-transporting fuel to orbit and transferring to another Starship in orbit.
-a last part would be lessening weight of the Starship, in order that enough cargo can be moved.

Meanwhile the rocket engines will go through multiple iterations.

For these four (five?) points they got about 4 years, so one year for each problem to tackle. Given how they performed in the past I guess they can do it in 4 to 8 years.

Last edited:

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hyperloop will be great and provide fast transportation for virtually pennies in just a few decades

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Hyperloop will be great and provide fast transportation for virtually pennies in just a few decades

Yes!

From Point A to Point B!

Where was it you wanted to go?

Andysu

Major Contributor
I couldn't care less about nasa, lost interest in nasa around 2000, always blah, blah, blah going to moon again and it has been how long. nasa is fake for human landings on the moon and mars, cos no one is gonna care. nasa are selfish cos only few % have ever been in low earth orbit, shall I go on?
that interstellar movie is depressing and rubbish, annoying Liemax aspect ratio switching on and off serves no purpose to the story other than it's distracting. I ain't jealous of nasa, I think they are just plain selfish that mostly armed forces go into space and nasa want's to send warmongers to other worlds, I'm offended.

Anyway this movie sums it all up. Cos that is however is gonna think and feel and say it's a nasa hoax, and yes I once was a believer but I woke up and had doubt in 2000 nasa ever did any human landing on the moon. Capricorn One is a an entertaining movie. got it on special edition Laserdisc Dolby AC-3.

If human mission is done it be like human moon trips with first going around it to see if spacecraft works then returning. So get ready your us tax dollars are about to be wasted, you should call for a boycott to save your tax dollars. #taxdollarsmatternasadoesntmatter

Last edited:

Destination: Moon

We better go soon.... In 2 or 3 years they'll be about 100,000 small star link type orbiting satellites that'll probably make launches for deep space missions a real challenge if all the permitted systems are operational

Andysu

Major Contributor
We better go soon.... In 2 or 3 years they'll be about 100,000 small star link type orbiting satellites that'll probably make launches for deep space missions a real challenge if all the permitted systems are operational

Never will survive the journey much less seeing the new world planet, that is hundreds so thousands distance cos we just have a short ......... :( yeah depressing isn't it. It ain't star wars, star trek, you know. Light-speed and the rest. Got navigator what is ahead and if certain size/mass will utterly obliterate spacecraft.
Our sun only has 6.8 so billion till fuel runs out and then it is just one all, plain curtains. No more hi-fi speakers, no more kfc, no more disney land, no more super bowl. Get the idea? And Yes it scares the wits out of me, that is more scarier than an atom bomb.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
We better go soon.... In 2 or 3 years they'll be about 100,000 small star link type orbiting satellites

Area of earth: 196.9 million mi²
Area of surface occupied by 1 satellite = 1,969 sq mi

I think we'll still be able to get past them.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor

As long as it's not like..
dinosaur cranial capacity.jpg

Destination: Moon

And the orbital speed of the earth's crust relative to itself? Granted, with a lot of gymnastics and speed matching we will get through..... But on voyages that depend on every moment of inertia I wonder

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Worst case we'll have to launch all the big stuff at the poles.

Valhalla

all space activities are worth no more than a baby burp as humankind is still struggling with HIV, Diabetes, Malaria, you name it. :-| We have not solved the human trash disposal problem yet! what the hell are we gonna do on another planet! science should make the life of currently living people easier. to hell with posterity and let them deal with their own problems in the future and find another planet to live on when its time has arrived.

Andysu

Major Contributor
Couldn't less about a single nasa rocket, astronaut (armed forces) couldn't care a singular slights bit about nasa anymore or that whovere emu must, that names his children kapax or what the hell ever?

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
all space activities are worth no more than a baby burp as humankind is still struggling with HIV, Diabetes, Malaria, you name it. :-| We have not solved the human trash disposal problem yet! what the hell are we gonna do on another planet! science should make the life of currently living people easier. to hell with posterity and let them deal with their own problems in the future and find another planet to live on when its time has arrived.
A frankly ridiculous attitude. There are no mandatory solutions that have to come first and acting as if there were can only slow progress possible else where.

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Couldn't less about a single nasa rocket, astronaut (armed forces) couldn't care a singular slights bit about nasa anymore or that whovere emu must, that names his children kapax or what the hell ever?
Apparently you cared enough to post you don't care . What names did you use for your children?

Top Bottom