• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SpaceX Starship could be ready for Mars in 4 years.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Somebody will want to go.

It won't be me.

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Whoever wants to go, dont show them Interstellar beforehand

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Whoever wants to go, dont show them Interstellar beforehand

The ambition is admirable... but

The distances are too vast, our bodies too frail... and our lives simply too short for interstellar travel.

I am reminded of this video I watched a day or two ago:

Well, I still kind of believe that Mars is not going to be a viable long-term settlement for humans either way. We are going to be Earthbound for the most part before finally succumbing to extinction -- drowning in our own accumulated trash and pollution. But I'm a very pessimistic kind of guy by default... so there's that.

Wombat

Master Contributor
With a little updating, Douglas Adams' list of 'special people' will do as pioneers.

DuxServit

Forum Donor
“Musk has long said that humans need to establish a permanent and self-sustaining presence on Mars to ensure "the continuance of consciousness as we know it" — just in case planet Earth is left uninhabitable by a something like a nuclear war or an asteroid strike.“

Wombat

Master Contributor
“Musk has long said that humans need to establish a permanent and self-sustaining presence on Mars to ensure "the continuance of consciousness as we know it" — just in case planet Earth is left uninhabitable by a something like a nuclear war or an asteroid strike.“

Mars will be immune to that risk?

John Done

There is already an amount of iron garbage such as dead rovers and so on, so until we really land on Mars or start to live there, we would have to solve the issue with the garbage first. So I guess Mars will be ready for humans if it can be said so.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
While I can understand how compelling the science and technology behind such advances are I actually do not care about any space program anywhere. Why? Simply because the only people that will ever reap any real advantage will be the wealthy. After we destroy this planet and make it uninhabitable, sadly almost a certainty the only question is when, if the technology allows our species to planet-hop it won't be the average person invited to survive, it will be the influential and wealthy who get to wave bye bye to our tortured little planet.

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
While I can understand how compelling the science and technology behind such advances are I actually do not care about any space program anywhere. Why? Simply because the only people that will ever reap any real advantage will be the wealthy. After we destroy this planet and make it uninhabitable, sadly almost a certainty the only question is when, if the technology allows our species to planet-hop it won't be the average person invited to survive, it will be the influential and wealthy who get to wave bye bye to our tortured little planet.
Well maybe they'll send postcards back to us!

JacobCooper

Who would have thought that SpaceX would become such a great company, would test its own launch vehicle to send a human mission to Mars. Has either of you predicted it will happen? Frankly, I haven't, even though I was interested in space exploration since childhood. And nothing has changed since then. I still keep an eye on everything in the space industry, especially on the emergence of new companies. Recently, I found out about one rocket manufacturing company based in the UK. Something tells me that it will repeat the fate of SpaceX. At least, I'd like that. Please have a look at their developments to understand why.
P.S. Has someone heard about it before?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
With a little updating, Douglas Adams' list of 'special people' will do as pioneers.
People always seem to forget what happened to the rest of the population after they shipped off their 'useless' third.

Plan9

Space programs can produce wonderful technologies and spin-off but I also find interesting 2 quotes from the late CEO of the Lockheed "Skunk Works" the first being "We have technology 50 years beyond your imagination" and "We now have the capability to take E.T. home"...probably the result of $200 billion/yr. black budgets, who knows?
Oops, shouldn't have said anything..think I'm hearing a couple non-stealth Blackhawks heading this way..gotta go!

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
elon musk and his predictions are insane. noone is going to mars in decades even.

Not true
Matt Damon did !

1616454378613.png

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Let's take bets on when Elon will make his first spaceflight...

I pick "never" for whoever sets up the pool.

Top Bottom