• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sony acquires Audeze

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That is an interesting turn of events.

"Just spoke to Sankar and he said business as usual for them, with more resources." - Andrew Lissimore

henologist

It's good news for Sankar and any other Audeze shareholders, but them being bought by the PlayStation arm of Sony in particular is worrying. Recent PlayStation products have been using wireless protocols like PlayStation Link at the expense of Bluetooth (including their Pulse 3D headset and the PlayStation Portal streaming handheld), and that division is also pushing Sony 360 spatial audio at the expense of Atmos, DTS:X, etc., so I'd expect future gaming headsets from Audeze to work within those restrictions, and the audience that's currently buying Audeze headsets would not be happy with losing those features. They'll be fine so long as gaming headsets remain one of the pillars of their business and not their primary revenue source, but who knows how long that'll be the case.

TK750

That is an interesting turn of events.

"Just spoke to Sankar and he said business as usual for them, with more resources." - Andrew Lissimore

Interesting and a bit of a surprise, didn't know they were supplying the drivers for the new Sony headset. Maybe I've been underestimating how big they are/were, they have released a few gaming products recently. As Glen mentioned, the business as usual comment seems fairly meaningless.

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Audeze gaming headphones must have impressed Sony a lot. Gaming is a billionaire industry, buying Audeze is nothing for them.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
this one sounds strange to me because its like Porsche buying Lamborghini (yes I know, VAG companies)

Sony are already pretty competant on the headphones front... BUT... if google is anything to go by Audeze apparently had $5 mil. in revenue in 2021... so unless 2022-23 was gargantua Sony probably bought Audeze for like a fraction on what they paid staff to make Gran Turismo 7... ie. paper clip money

Just an FYI... Sony famously paid $33 mil. maybe 15yrs ago to write just the game engine for one of their games... not the entire game, just the framework it runs on.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Meanwhile Grado Labs is the same as has been since 1953 a family run company.

Im not surprise, they’re perfect if you have age related hearing loss

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
They will have to wait to see if this happens. 4 out 5 acquisitions in technology fail so the odds are against them on this front.

deprogrammed

Audeze gaming headphones must have impressed Sony a lot. Gaming is a billionaire industry, buying Audeze is nothing for them.
The gaming industry is bigger than the music and movie industry. Almost 200 billion.

ta240

Major Contributor
They always say that. Then my favorite product get changed, messed up then discontinued. Or my favorite store gets closed as they do away with competition. Or, worse yet my favorite place to work turns into one where everyone is stressed about hitting progressively better numbers every month.

Why would they ever say "We think we can push their employees harder, try to cut costs in ways that hopefully the customers won't notice and pull way more money out of it. And if that doesn't work we can grab what good ideas they have and end up with one less competitor."

chelgrian

It's good news for Sankar and any other Audeze shareholders, but them being bought by the PlayStation arm of Sony in particular is worrying. Recent PlayStation products have been using wireless protocols like PlayStation Link at the expense of Bluetooth (including their Pulse 3D headset and the PlayStation Portal streaming handheld), and that division is also pushing Sony 360 spatial audio at the expense of Atmos, DTS:X, etc., so I'd expect future gaming headsets from Audeze to work within those restrictions, and the audience that's currently buying Audeze headsets would not be happy with losing those features. They'll be fine so long as gaming headsets remain one of the pillars of their business and not their primary revenue source, but who knows how long that'll be the case.
So:

PlayStation Link audio is lossless partially for audio quality but mostly to avoid the encode and decode latency inherent to Bluetooth audio.

360 spatial audio is really MPEG-H and is produced from the same ADM files as Atmos. So far it's supported by Denon/Marantz, McIntosh and Sony. There is not much technically to choose between Atmos and MPEG-H as delivery formats so I fail to see why anyone should care unless they work for Dolby.

SuicideSquid

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So:

PlayStation Link audio is lossless partially for audio quality but mostly to avoid the encode and decode latency inherent to Bluetooth audio.

360 spatial audio is really MPEG-H and is produced from the same ADM files as Atmos. So far it's supported by Denon/Marantz, McIntosh and Sony. There is not much technically to choose between Atmos and MPEG-H as delivery formats so I fail to see why anyone should care unless they work for Dolby.
Because universal standards are good and having Audeze products drop support for Bluetooth and Atmos in favour of Sony proprietary formats is bad.

chelgrian

Because universal standards are good and having Audeze products drop support for Bluetooth and Atmos in favour of Sony proprietary formats is bad.
Atmos is not a universal standard it is a proprietary Dolby technology.

There is no specific 3d audio support needed for headphones anyway as you are listening to a binaural render which needs no special support. The closest Audeze gets is bundling a Dolby Access license for Windows with some of their headsets. Even then they charge an extra £30 for the version with the bundled license to cover the fees to Dolby.

There is therefore no support to be dropped.

It's highly unlikely that they would drop Bluetooth support unless they marketed a PlayStation specific product.

Top Bottom