• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Soncoz LA-QXD1 Balanced DAC Review

atonik

Forum Donor
@EMMA there's not just noise.

@Massimo - the same here, 5V 1A chromecast adapter as it states on the back. Worked fine till yesterday. Were you able to resolve your issue with Ann or should I move on and order something else?

Were you able to resolve your issue? I have the same one, worked for 6+ months till today when the power started blinking upon connect and outputting weird noise.
No. I wasn’t able to resolve the issue. I got a refund from the retailer. I’m told the issue has been dealt with by SONCOZ. All newer batches shouldn’t experience the same problem, if true.

atonik

Forum Donor
Hmm, I bought directly from Ann. Ok, I'll move on and order something else while I await Ann's response.

TBH I miss volume knob and I'm looking at SGD1, SMSL m400 or SU-9. Haven't researched what's available in EU though. Gustard X16 looks good too. Oh well..

Hmm, I bought directly from Ann. Ok, I'll move on and order something else while I await Ann's response.

TBH I miss volume knob and I'm looking at SGD1, SMSL m400 or SU-9. Haven't researched what's available in EU though. Gustard X16 looks good too. Oh well..
Model LA-QXD1 has been revised to address the specific failure I encountered with my unit, I was told by a company representative. If you ask for the newer batch product, you may not come across the same problem.

Morpheus

Forum Donor
Im saying toslink or coax in does not output to digital coax out, at all. Unless either a firmware or hardware update has enabled.

Im not the right person to say what goes on inside the box but it surely isnt decoding usb in to analog then recoding to digital to pass out of the digital coax. It will work in the same way as the Topping D10 or other usb bridges to, would be my guess.

DO you or anybody here know of some other DAC or converter that is capable of outputting digital from ANY of the inputs , be it USB or SPDIF( coax/Toslink) ? Topping DX7 seems to, but not sure, anything else..?

curiouspeter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Is there a way to completely bypass the volume control?

I heard about the special firmware for DAC mode but I cannot find that on the website.

I listen to both PCM and DSD and I would prefer there is no unneeded conversions.

Does the unit generate a lot of heat? I plan to put the DAC inside a cabinet.

Thanks.

Brab

Well- spoke too soon four posts above. Yesterday, the unit stopped working after six months - just power/standby light flashing, but nothing else but silence. Changed cords, power supplies, - no effect.

Has anyone been able to bring the unit back from this flashing power light state?
Ben- any suggestions?

Last edited:

Labjr

Major Contributor
Any idea if a specific component fails in this unit? Maybe it can be repaired locally?

atonik

Forum Donor
Well- spoke too soon four posts above. Yesterday, the unit stopped working after six months - just power/standby light flashing, but nothing else but silence. Changed cords, power supplies, - no effect.

Has anyone been able to bring the unit back from this flashing power light state?
Ben- any suggestions?

Also considered repairing it locally but I'm afraid cost of that would be similar to what it's going to cost to get a repaired unit from Soncoz and probably result in losing warranty - I decided to send it back.

I've just ordered SGD1 as an interim solution till QXD1 gets back to me and then I'll see which one I'll keep.

Labjr

Major Contributor
Also considered repairing it locally but I'm afraid cost of that would be similar to what it's going to cost to get a repaired unit from Soncoz and probably result in losing warranty - I decided to send it back.

I've just ordered SGD1 as an interim solution till QXD1 gets back to me and then I'll see which one I'll keep.

I'm just curious what causes it to fail? Such as a component failure? Or a digital glitch? Maybe there's a way someone could use a bootloader to reload firmware etc.?

Last edited:

technoian

Does the unit generate a lot of heat? I plan to put the DAC inside a cabinet.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

I keep my LA-QXD1 in a cabinet and permanently powered on. It barely gets at all warm. One of the benefits out of being machined out of a solid brick of aluminium.

curiouspeter

I keep my LA-QXD1 in a cabinet and permanently powered on. It barely gets at all warm. One of the benefits out of being machined out of a solid brick of aluminium.

Is there a way to keep it in pure DAC mode? Or will it have to go through volume control? I wonder if DSD stays native or will it be converted to PCM at some point.

atombaer

So after 4 months of use my unit died a couple of days ago. The left channel just stopped working. Kinda sad, was pretty happy with it. Perfectly clean and transparent sound and just the most basic controls for a great price.

Its now on its way back to HifiGo. Soncoz said the op amp might have burned out because of static electricity. Shouldnt the Dac be grounded to prevent the buildup of static? Nothing was in contact with it to produce a static discharge when it died.
I really hope it can be repaired or replaced...

Veri

Master Contributor
So after 4 months of use my unit died a couple of days ago. The left channel just stopped working. Kinda sad, was pretty happy with it. Perfectly clean and transparent sound and just the most basic controls for a great price.

Its now on its way back to HifiGo. Soncoz said the op amp might have burned out because of static electricity. Shouldnt the Dac be grounded to prevent the buildup of static? Nothing was in contact with it to produce a static discharge when it died.
I really hope it can be repaired or replaced...
Oh boy....

ESD Saga part II: Electric Boogaloo :eek:

Reactions: PSO

technoian

Is there a way to keep it in pure DAC mode? Or will it have to go through volume control? I wonder if DSD stays native or will it be converted to PCM at some point.

See the previous response from Ben1987 (the designer) for details on firmware updates to enable either fixed or variable volume. (entry #658)

Brab

My unit failed after six months. Even though I paid full retail directly to them, Soncoz will not pay for shipping costs to repair the unit even though I was willing to use postal services rather than courier both ways and wait whatever length of time. My feeling is that their product and their service do not warrant risking a purchase from them.

Labjr

Major Contributor
My unit failed after six months. Even though I paid full retail directly to them, Soncoz will not pay for shipping costs to repair the unit even though I was willing to use postal services rather than courier both ways and wait whatever length of time. My feeling is that their product and their service do not warrant risking a purchase from them.

Maybe they could ship a replacement board for those who can do a swap?

Brab

"Maybe they could ship a replacement board for those who can do a swap?"

I'd be open to that if someone from Soncoz is watching here.

Shazb0t

Seams like an awful lot of premature failures of these DACs, especially considering the user base is mostly going to be people from this website. At this point I would be hesitant to recommend this DAC to anyone.

Top Bottom