• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Soncoz LA-QXD1 Balanced DAC Review

nhatlam96

Forum Donor
It's not absolute perfection but totally fine for its price point, what you see is simply some distortion kicking in. Ideally it would not be there, but it's fine. Nothing dramatic.
Im fine with the performance. The only thing that confuses me here, is that those spikes shouldn't actually be there in the first place. I think there was something wrong with the measurement, it looks abnormal. If you look at the two measurements below, you can see that there are no spikes at that specific area:
Multitone.jpg

1.png

Last edited:

Veri

Major Contributor
Im fine with the performance. The only thing that confuses me here, is that those spikes shouldn't actually be there in the first place. I think there was something wrong with the measurement, it looks abnormal. If you look at the two measurements below, you can see that there are no spikes at that specific area: View attachment 105040
I'm confused, if you look at the blue channel in Wolf's measurement, you can see similar distortion in the multi-tone. The blue spikes, right? Amir must have shown the worst measuring one, if you compare they look similar enough. Note that Wolf's audio precision machine is a slightly newer revision so there can minor differences in sensitivity to noise and distortion.

nhatlam96

Forum Donor
I'm confused, if you look at the blue channel in Wolf's measurement, you can see similar distortion in the multi-tone. The blue spikes, right? Amir must have shown the worst measuring one, if you compare they look similar enough. Note that Wolf's audio precision machine is a slightly newer revision so there can minor differences in sensitivity to noise and distortion.
Yeah, the blue spikes! In wolfs measurement, they only spike because of channel mismatch due to pre production model. If you match the two channels in wolfs measurement, then the spikes dissapear and then it looks normal, like the chinese measurement below. Amirms measurement looks abnormal in that area.

Veri

Major Contributor
Yeah, the blue spikes! In wolfs measurement, they only spike because of channel mismatch due to pre production model. If you match the two channels in wolfs measurement, then the spikes dissapear and then it looks normal, like the chinese measurement below. Amirms measurement looks abnormal in that area.
Yeah in Amir's main dashboard also, one channel is noticeably worse in the unit he measured, it could be that most production units do not show this and that this is fixed, or was a one-off case. Hard to say :)

Wait a second, no way to turn it off with buttons, other than uplug the powering source??
Yep. As pretty as it is, it has its drawbacks and silly compromises like this one. All the effort put behind its convoluted filter selection functionality would have been better invested in a more worthwhile feature like a good old power switch.

Last edited:
Yep. As pretty as it is, it has its drawbacks and silly compromises like this one. All the effort put behind its convoluted filter selection functionality would have been invested in a more worthwhile feature like a good old power switch.
Hope turning off by powering off my power strip would not damage the la-qxd1 then. I don't know why but even seems to not work with my power bank, that should have provide better sound quality in it :/
I qould also know about the Noise Floor Modulation spec of 4.3 μVrms; most others dac even at this price seems to have about half of this ''noise''? It isn't a spec i don't see here around measured, so i wonder...

Wait a second, no way to turn it off with buttons, other than uplug the powering source??
I don't see the issue with no power switch. I just put mine into stand by mode and it just sits there, blinking, begging me to give it something to do. It doesn't even stay warm.

Do you unplug your modem & router when not online?

What are the specs of your "power bank"? Ben has been specific about it needing a full 1A or better ps.

I don't see the issue with no power switch. I just put mine into stand by mode and it just sits there, blinking, begging me to give it something to do. It doesn't even stay warm.

Do you unplug your modem & router when not online?

What are the specs of your "power bank"? Ben has been specific about it needing a full 1A or better ps.
Stand by mode, how? I guess lights will always be on, so usually i power off my power supply when i go bed at night.
It's bad to unplug the power while is on?

My power bank is 1 usb port up to max 5V/2a and a port max, it should work, the Topping E30 used to work and sounded better. But with la-qxd1 it doesn't, it power off/on very fast, i think it's not gonna work even if i try more :/

Stand by mode, how? I guess lights will always be on, so usually i power off my power supply when i go bed at night.
It's bad to unplug the power while is on?

My power bank is 1 usb port up to max 5V/2a and a port max, it should work, the Topping E30 used to work and sounded better. But with la-qxd1 it doesn't, it power off/on very fast, i think it's not gonna work even if i try more :/
Stand by mode is activated with one quick press of the PWR button. The indicator will blink.
Is it bad? I don't see why would be. You are effectively flipping a switch.

When you say "power bank", are you talking about wall plug, a usb cell charger, or something like a battery back up power supply?

I'm currently using a genuine Samsung usb charger, same spec 5V/2A, and it's working just fine.

Stand by mode is activated with one quick press of the PWR button. The indicator will blink.
Is it bad? I don't see why would be. You are effectively flipping a switch.

When you say "power bank", are you talking about wall plug, a usb cell charger, or something like a battery back up power supply?

I'm currently using a genuine Samsung usb charger, same spec 5V/2A, and it's working just fine.
Thought that was mute button honestly, lights are still on like it's working..

Now i'm using a wall plug usb cell charger, Sony 5V/2A, but i don't see why on my power bank 5V/2,1A doesn't work. I wonder if other users find the same issue, with power bank most cheap dacs sounds better. Here's mine power bank model: https://www.amazon.it/Yacikos-Caric...=1&keywords=Power+bank&qid=1610370788&sr=8-52