• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Soncoz LA-QXD1 Balanced DAC Review

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I am sure Soncoz will be appointing more re-sellers, in time.
Keith

dpippel

Just send message to Sophia Ann, she's a member here, she will send you an invoice and sell you a unit.

Yeah, I saw that in the other thread. Funny way of doing business if you ask me, especially since it can't even be ordered from their own website, even though it's right there on their store page with the SGD1, which CAN be ordered. Seems quite flakey.

Anyway, I don't think it's worth the bother OR the trouble if something is wrong or goes wrong with the product. There are plenty of other fish in the sea that offer the same functionality/performance at around the same price these days, and have dealers in the U.S.

MechEngVic

Yeah, I saw that in the other thread. Funny way of doing business if you ask me, especially since it can't even be ordered from their own website, even though it's right there on their store page with the SGD1, which CAN be ordered. Seems quite flakey.

Anyway, I don't think it's worth the bother OR the trouble if something is wrong or goes wrong with the product. There are plenty of other fish in the sea that offer the same functionality/performance at around the same price these days, and have dealers in the U.S.

It's not a funny way of doing business, it's the way of a small company, trying to get started doing business with a pair of new products (LA-QXD1, SGD1), offering the product to members of this forum as soon as the units are coming off of the assembly line, even before they have the time to properly set up their websites or distribution network. If you ask me, it is the exact opposite of flakey, it's what I call some of the best customer service you'll ever get, a product and an effort worthy of my small investment. I am so glad I bought this little gem every time I turn it on and listen. It's currently the best DAC dollar-per-performance you can get IMO.

dpippel

It's not a funny way of doing business, it's the way of a small company, trying to get started doing business with a pair of new products (LA-QXD1, SGD1), offering the product to members of this forum as soon as the units are coming off of the assembly line, even before they have the time to properly set up their websites or distribution network. If you ask me, it is the exact opposite of flakey, it's what I call some of the best customer service you'll ever get, a product and an effort worthy of my small investment. I am so glad I bought this little gem every time I turn it on and listen. It's currently the best DAC dollar-per-performance you can get IMO.

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion, as I am to mine. I'm glad it all works for you.

origiri

Ben I notice after some time of pc inactivity, when i wake the pc the dac does not output sound although the lights on the dac are on and the pc is sending signal to the dac. I have to unplug the power and plug in again to restart the dac and it works fine again. Any other way to wake the dac without doing this? Thank you!

adriano93

Ben I notice after some time of pc inactivity, when i wake the pc the dac does not output sound although the lights on the dac are on and the pc is sending signal to the dac. I have to unplug the power and plug in again to restart the dac and it works fine again. Any other way to wake the dac without doing this? Thank you!
For me, i have a similiar problem. I use this DAC for my HTPC and it is running a few hours a day. But also when this HTPC is active, DAC sometimes stopped working. In control panel i see the DAC and everything seems good, but no sound. Only unplug power and plug it again, brings the sound back.
I tried many different things like energy options for USB Devices, different usb ports, different cable and so on, but i think it is a problem with driver, firmware or defective device, because another DAC dont have this problem. I hope someone can find a fix for this problem.
Thank you

Kibbelhs

Any recommendations as to amps which would go well with this DAC? Similarly sized ones so I could stack them. Or is this the wrong thread (first post please forgive)

Any recommendations as to amps which would go well with this DAC? Similarly sized ones so I could stack them. Or is this the wrong thread (first post please forgive)

What's your budget and priorities? For around $300, any of the THX stuff (Drop THX 789, Monolith 889, SMSL SP200) would be fine. If you can, i would say go for the Topping A90, it got raving reviews and also a pre-amp mode if you want to connect poweramps/speakers to it. My LA-QXD1 is paired with SMSL SP200 and i love it though people don't like the volume pots on the SMSL SP200.

Kibbelhs

What's your budget and priorities? For around $300, any of the THX stuff (Drop THX 789, Monolith 889, SMSL SP200) would be fine. If you can, i would say go for the Topping A90, it got raving reviews and also a pre-amp mode if you want to connect poweramps/speakers to it. My LA-QXD1 is paired with SMSL SP200 and i love it though people don't like the volume pots on the SMSL SP200.

Thank you for the reply!
My budget is 850~AUD, was looking at sabaj d5 amongst others before stumbling across this. Yes, Smsl sp200 was one of my choices as well, together with the smsl m200 initially. I don't have access to drop/monolith due to cost/shipping restrictions. Topping A90 is out of my budget as it's 700ish AUD alone, doesn't leave much for a DAC.

Priorities: i'm upgrading from a JDS O2amp+dac, driving hd 650/ focal elear and powered monitors. Bluetooth/balanced not a priority but good to have if I decide to upgrade cans. Given the budget, almost anything would sound better than my O2s so i'd say main priority is an amp which would not look out of place stacked on the LA-QXD1.
My O2s have conked out for 3 weeks and i'm living off motherboard audio and the hiss is driving me nuts.
Cheers!

Ben1987

Audio Company
Ben I notice after some time of pc inactivity, when i wake the pc the dac does not output sound although the lights on the dac are on and the pc is sending signal to the dac. I have to unplug the power and plug in again to restart the dac and it works fine again. Any other way to wake the dac without doing this?
Only unplug power and plug it again, brings the sound back.
I tried many different things like energy options for USB Devices, different usb ports, different cable and so on, but i think it is a problem with driver, firmware or defective device, because another DAC dont have this problem. I hope someone can find a fix for this problem.

Download DFU files from HERE and after unzipping, you'll find two files“LA-QXD1 Maximum Volume with Hardware Control DFU_V304.bin” and “LA-QXD1 Minimum Volume DFU_V303.bin”.

Change log:2020-06-18
Fixed occasional no - output issues.
Notice:
1. "LA-QXD1 Minimum Volume DFU_V303.bin" is default factory firmware version and without hardware volume control;
2. “LA-QXD1 Maximum Volume with Hardware Control DFU_V304.bin” is max volume output firmware with hardware volume control;

adriano93

Download DFU files from HERE and after unzipping, you'll find two files“LA-QXD1 Maximum Volume with Hardware Control DFU_V304.bin” and “LA-QXD1 Minimum Volume DFU_V303.bin”.

Notice:
1. "LA-QXD1 Minimum Volume DFU_V303.bin" is default factory firmware version and without hardware volume control;
2. “LA-QXD1 Maximum Volume with Hardware Control DFU_V304.bin” is max volume output firmware with hardware volume control;
Flashed it successfully and will report if the problem is fixed.

origiri

Notice:

Thank you Ben! But unfortunately the dac is still not outputting sound to me some times. I'm just watching videos when suddenly the dac doesn't output sound. I don't know how to replicate it so that I can help you :(

Edit: I flashed v304

Last edited:

Ben1987

Audio Company
But unfortunately the dac is still not outputting sound to me some times. I'm just watching videos when suddenly the dac doesn't output sound.
Which digital input did your use?,USB/coaxial/toslink?
What's your TV brand or OTT TV Box?
If it's convenient to post a photo, it helps to analyze it better.
The problem I fixed before occasionally had no sound in Windows10 USB playback. After I fixed it, no problem was found.

origiri

Which digital input did your use?,USB/coaxial/toslink?
What's your TV brand or OTT TV Box?
If it's convenient to post a photo, it helps to analyze it better.
The problem I fixed before occasionally had no sound in Windows10 USB playback. After I fixed it, no problem was found.

I'm using windows 10.

1. USB B to usb A to pc for data
2. USB A to usb C to power strip usb outlet for power. The usb port on the power strip is rated 5V = 2.4A
3. I installed XMOS driver as per your online manual xmos driver
4. Flashed v3.04 bin file
5. Installed soncoz driver v4.82 soncoz driver I have reinstalled the soncoz driver after flashing v304. But still the same issue.

Capture.PNG

Ben1987

Audio Company
Installed soncoz driver v4.82 soncoz driver I have reinstalled the soncoz driver after flashing v304. But still the same issue.
What's the probability of that happening?How often does this happen?My test conditions are basically the same as yours. I have been testing continuously for 72 hours, and nothing like this has happened to you.I'll run the tests a little longer.

Top Bottom