• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Some thoughts following Archimago's latest post ("good enough" and "everything matters")

Fluffy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
In his latest post, Archimago discuss thinking about the big picture in audio. It's a great post with some very good points. I enthusiastically agree with his idea of "good enough" gear, and the fact the DACs are pretty much a solved issue, and lately it becomes apparent that amplifiers are reaching there as well (and definitely way past that point in headphone amps).
The latest speaker tests by Amir made me think that there are already something close to "perfectly transparent speakers" in existence, and it's just a matter of driving their price down to a consumer friendly level. and generally, it looks like the trend is towards one product that does it all – a digital powered speaker that behaves perfect acoustically and doesn't require any component other than a power plug and some source (and some can probably stream on their own).
And despite these huge advancements, the audio industry is still very much alive and evolving. New products coming out all of the time, most of the differences between them comes down to branding and marketing. The pure technology side of things is pretty straight forward and almost identical performance-wise throughout many different products.
I wonder what is still driving this business from the perspective of the consumer. I think we can take a different look at this field and divide the people in it into two groups – unrelated to subjectivism of objectivism, poor or rich, knowledgeable or novices. The division I came up with is between goal-driven ("good enough") and hobby-driven ("everything matters").

The market mostly subsist on hobby-driven folk – these are the people that buy and discuss gear for the fun of it and for the sense of community. Most repeated upgrades are from people who just like to buy new shiny things and flaunt them to their friends. These could be either subjectivists or objectivists – the resulting behavior is the same. You can spend lots of money on luxurious handcrafted turntables and vintage tube amps just as well as on highly engineered solid states and SOTA DACs with exceptional measured performance. It also doesn't exclude value-oriented buyers, as those can upgrade constantly between different low-cost devices, trying to find the best deals. It only matters that they stay invested in the hobby for years, never fully satisfied with their current setup and always hungry for change and excitement. I believe most audio brands market to this section of the population, because they are repeating customers, and therefore the most profitable.

The other type are the goal-driven ones. Those enthusiasts have a specific goal in mind, and they are on a journey to achieve it. The longer the journey the more money they pore into gear, and thus also more profitable to brands. But the main difference between them and the hobby-driven ones is that they are not doing it for fun. The search is a means to an end, and the end goal is having the right setup for them. these can also be either objectivists or subjectivists, value-oriented or luxury-seekers – they eventually settle on something as close as possible to what they were looking for, and stop buying and upgrading after that. Audio brands would love to take their money as well, but they are not as important as customers, because they eventually stop buying. Although, you can put most regular consumers in this group – anyone that goes out and buys Bose headphones that they will use until they wear out are also goal-driven, and their goals are pretty simple. And there is a huge market for those consumers that only buy the one thing they need.

Both these groups affect the way companies produce and market products, and in different ways. I want to bring up PS Audio here as an example, because in his channel Paul Mcgeown try to wear two hats at the same time. Under one hat, he claims that we are always light years away from achieving perfect fidelity and the technology always keeps evolving – thus marketing to the hobby-driven group. And under the second hat, he talks about developing all-in-one amplified speakers that solve all issues in one convenient product that you can buy once and be happy forever – marketing this time to the goal-driven group.
There are many other companies that wear either or both hats. On the extreme side of things, in one end you can find the snake-oil dealers that try to convince you that "everything matters", and that’s why you should invest in expansive cables and other less sensible upgrades. Those companies appeal to the hardcore hobbyists who are never satisfied with what they have and can afford all these crazy adventures. On the other end, you have companies like JBL that make Bluetooth portable speakers and sound bars that are supposed to be the end-solution for the goal-driven consumer who looks for "quality audio" on the cheap and doesn't have time to do any research on their own.

Personally, I put myself in the goal-driven group. For me, the setup I have is good enough for my goals and after a certain point there is no longer a need to upgrade. On the other hand, I do enjoy discussing these topics and advising people who are new to this, so I guess I have some hobbyist in me. I don't think there is anything wrong with being hobby-driven – all hobbies are legitimate, and if this hobby brings people joy, all the power to them. And as archimago put it, " I think so long as one can afford it, everybody's aware that claims are based on opinions rather than substantiated fact, and apply a bit of common sense, it's "mostly harmless"."

I don't like seeing people be taken advantage of by big companies, and I think being an objectivist is a way to express distrust in manufacturers that try to do that. But the people "on the other side of the aisle" (for me at least), subjectivists and hardcore hobbyists, are not to blame for following their passions. So even if DACs are already perfect and amplifiers are on their way to be, and speakers could be if we put some effort into it, I predict people will continue to enjoy investing their time and money in these things, and companies will continue to serve that demand. You can say the hobby highway will continue to flow, while once in a while some people will take the end goal off-ramp. It would be delusional to think either of those things will ever stop happening.

P.S
Is Archimago active in this forum? Would seem appropriate…

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I must currently be in the "goal driven/good enough" camp, with a little prior dabbling in the "hobbyist/everything matters" area to see what was there (maybe not much).

I have no upgrade plans, no unsatisfied lusts, maybe some things in mind were a wholesale change to be made.

I figure -- if you can go to an Audio Show and, when you come home, not feel slighted - you're reached "good enough".

I admit I haven't been exposed to high quality multi-channel, except for a visit to the local new multi-theater-popcorn-shop. So there could be some "lust" to be aroused in that area.

But when I came home and turned on a TV Movie, I didn't feel slighted in the audio area.

(I did buy a bigger TV shortly after, not sure if that was directly related or just a coincidence).

Last edited:

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
In his latest post, Archimago discuss thinking about the big picture in audio. It's a great post with some very good points. I enthusiastically agree with his idea of "good enough" gear, and the fact the DACs are pretty much a solved issue, and lately it becomes apparent that amplifiers are reaching there as well (and definitely way past that point in headphone amps).
The latest speaker tests by Amir made me think that there are already something close to "perfectly transparent speakers" in existence, and it's just a matter of driving their price down to a consumer friendly level.

+1 to DACS

+1 to amps

And a big hell no to perfectly transparent speakers being close....at any price point.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
How about "transparent to the signal which they are fed"?

Even with that low bar (i.e. ignoring room and radiation pattern issues), we're far away once you get to high dynamic range, high SPLs, low bass, low distortion, and phase linearity.

audiopile

My attitude on this is I buy tools to make music. I'll buy new if I've got to- but usually ( phono carts excepted) used and even old n used. Don't care much what it looks like -if anything-pretty/bling costs extra I'm not willing to pay for. I strongly suspect that we are not testing everything that matters - so tested specs interest me -but don't tell the whole listening story. I'll continue to be mainly looking to improve my LP playback. But in the end I trust my ears (given age and pre OSHA factories -simply ridiculous :) . "hobby driven" is a interesting idea -makes sense in terms of the cable business and the flippers who have owned everything once for a week or a month.

Newk Yuler

I figure -- if you can go to an Audio Show and, when you come home, not feel slighted - you're reached "good enough".

I came home from that audio show a little happier with what I have. Especially after seeing the costs. I dunno if it's ever "good enough" when I know in the back of my head there will always be something better. I came out of that audio show thinking there must be a hole in the audio market for very good sounding hardware with realistic pricing for people who can't afford most of what was displayed at the show. Also thinking there is a lot of luxurious hardware that isn't worth the bigger expense and exists because the audiophile market is still trying to convince people that you have to spend like buying a luxury car to have truly extraordinary sound.

So why weren't manufacturers like Emotiva at the show showing everyone that good sounding setups don't have to cost like most of the rest of the manufacturers at the show?

As far as transparent speakers go I'm pretty sure I want transparency in digital components and perhaps a bit of manufacturer's house "color" in analog components. Particularly when it comes to speakers. Part of that is because it's a whole lot easier for me to be completely happy with my big 1980s Infinity speakers than to sweat the cost of SOTA products.

Infinity was hugely successful in the 1980s because they sold excellent sounding speakers at prices a lot of regular folks could afford. Then founder Arnie Nudell hooked up with Paul McGowan in the 1990s and joined the new expensive AF manufacturers with Genesis Tech and sold a lot fewer speakers. I can imagine Paul (the PS Audio showman) talking with Arnie about the justification of raising prices for the new audiophile market.

That said I'd buy a set of the Muraudio we saw at the show in a heartbeat if I had that kind of disposable funds. I'm still wrestling with the idea that they might be worthy at $16k+ when they would be used a lot. Like having a nice car that fits if I spent a lot of time driving.

StevenEleven

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I think competent and effortful speaker designers are getting pretty close to one another on tonal balance and smoothness from a surprisingly low price point. Not an original thought on my part. But I agree, probably easy to distinguish on DBT. Just hard to establish a clear and consistent preference, once we get to a certain threshold. Again, not an original idea. For example, Toole, pages 338-339.

Incursio

In his latest post, Archimago discuss thinking about the big picture in audio. The division I came up with is between goal-driven ("good enough") and hobby-driven ("everything matters").

The market mostly subsist on hobby-driven folk – these are the people that buy and discuss gear for the fun of it and for the sense of community. Most repeated upgrades are from people who just like to buy new shiny things and flaunt them to their friends.

IMO, the real distinction is between hi-fi (goal-driven) and bling-fi (hobby-driven). :cool:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
IMO, the real distinction is between hi-fi (goal-driven) and bling-fi (hobby-driven). :cool:
IMO, there is a continuum across many factors. Very, very few of us are pure. I've gotten stuff just for the bling, had hair shirted performance only devices and everything in between. Also purchased something because it was a no lose deal just to try it out. I've known people so absorbed in DIY, their only goals were to make music with gear they made. These things don't have to be binary choices. Or if you want binary, how about 16 bit depth where each factor has 65,000+ levels across multiple dimensions for millions upon millions of possible combinations.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I usually agree with the things @Archimago posts.
This time it is no different but do understand the reactions of this dweeb4 character. His conclusions are based on his emotions and feels not being taken seriously. When one is not validated in their own beliefs we tend to 'attack the attacker' or 'turn away knowing the others are wrong'
Even when 1000 people agree with you doesn't make it a truth.

I used to comment there but at one point it became a real pain to get a reply in so gave up replying (frustration) Maybe it improved again, will likely not have been the only one.

What this dweeb character misunderstood is that Archimago tests both by measurements and controlled as well as not really controlled ways.
Archimago has seen both sides of the medal where the dweeb4 character only seems to look at this from his own comfortable zone.

Electronics: can be a solved thing but crap still exists. In certain ways electronics can be measurably crappy but still sound good (enough) or even preferred.

Speakers and headphones: Everything from excellent to crap exists here too. Solved it is not but you can get close enough with 'help' (room/headphone EQ) but you need something that is well manufactured as a starting point.
Here too some things can measure considerably below some top notch gear but still sound excellent (even preferred) by some folks.

So in audio there is excellence in technical performance, acoustics and preference.
Combinations of this determines what one likes and sees as 'near perfect'.
It won't be the same for everyone but could be for larger groups.

About the journey: One should take the route they personally want to take. The most adventurous ones will look at/try different ways as well and become more educated.

Incursio

IMO, there is a continuum across many factors. Very, very few of us are pure. I've gotten stuff just for the bling, had hair shirted performance only devices and everything in between. Also purchased something because it was a no lose deal just to try it out. I've known people so absorbed in DIY, their only goals were to make music with gear they made. These things don't have to be binary choices. Or if you want binary, how about 16 bit depth where each factor has 65,000+ levels across multiple dimensions for millions upon millions of possible combinations.

I agree, and I realize I was being somewhat contentious when I wrote that.

I just bought an amp, actually. I certainly don't need it. Definitely bling-fi, in my terms.

On the other hand, it was just around 7 years ago when $1600 for the Senn HD800 was considered expensive. The other brands had either their TOTL headphones or the next tier down at around $800-900.

Now, those are Massdrop edition prices.

There's definitely Veblen economics at play, and I think it's not technology or performance, but rather the hype on the hobby side, that is driving it.

Top Bottom