• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Some help regarding a couple of issues I've not found answered please

Straz

Hi there, I have a couple of issues with my setup that I'd love a bit of clarification on. I recently picked up an Aiyima A07 amp, which I'm really happy with, the only downside is at extremely low volumes, where the dial is at around 8 o'clock, there is a slight channel imbalance. I can solve this by reducing the Windows volume slider right down and increasing the amp volume, but that has quite a negative impact on the sound.

Ideally I'd have Windows volume set to 100, and still have a large range of adjustable amp volume.

1) As Windows volume slider reduces bitrate - could I have windows volume on 100, but have say, a -15db or more on EqualizerAPO without reducing the bitrate? This would enable me to use a bit of the amp and solve the channel imbalance issue. What are, if any, the negatives surrounding a large -db on preamplification in Windows?

2) I'm using an SMSL M100 MkII 32bit DAC. From my understanding, Windows will upscale all audio to the 32bit output, so if I'm not listening to high def music, I should in theory have quite a bit of headroom on the Windows volume slider? That was my take on it anyway.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
There are quite a few threads on this already. Quick search on Windows volume should answer your questions.

OP
S

Straz

There are quite a few threads on this already. Quick search on Windows volume should answer your questions.
To be fair though, I wasn't asking specifically about the Windows slider, I know ideally you want it at max. I was mainly asking about the effects of preamplification on bitrate in windows.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
To be fair though, I wasn't asking specifically about the Windows slider, I know ideally you want it at max. I was mainly asking about the effects of preamplification on bitrate in windows.
You lose bits when you reduce the digital output.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So minus preamplication in EqualizerAPO reduces the bitrate?
It has to. The question is does it upsample to 24/32 bit first. Like I say, there are quite a few threads on windows volume /digital volume.

Does the dac not have volume control?

EDIT- if it does, its likely the same as reducing the windows slider- nowadays if using USB the 2 are the same.

Last edited:
Top Bottom