• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are your ears in phase? How to check and fix a phase mismatch (improving stereo image)

Tallulah

During the last days I've been using a sine wave generator ("SineGen") to find peaks in my headphones and equalize them. Yesterday I noticed that this software has an option to adjust the phase of the wave, and I decided to try it out. I did several tests moving the slider with my eyes closed trying to center the sound and I always got a similar value, far from the default of zero degrees! Something was wrong...

To see if it was the headphones, I first centered the sound moving the slider and then I flipped my headphones so the left driver was in the right ear and vice versa. After doing this I noticed the audio was now very offset, suggesting it was not the headphones but my ears instead. To confirm this, I got other headphones and I repeated the blind test... I was getting very similar values with the phase slider. My ears are out of phase!! I have never seen anyone talk about this issue before. Maybe it's because my ear canals don't measure the same or my eardrums are different? I have no idea.

I had always heard slightly differently with my left and right ears. The left one was always louder and had more "resolution". No matter how much I adjusted the decibels in each channel, I wasn't able to fix the stereo image. The vocals were always a bit displaced to the left side. Our brains are very sensitive to phase, especially under 1 kHz. You can't trick the brain only changing the amplitude. After finding this out, I have added a delay corresponding to the degrees of phase shift to one of the audio channels and... although my ears aren't still perfect, the stereo image has improved A LOT! I can finally hear the vocals exactly in the center! I'm quite happy now!

If anybody wants to try this out, I'm writing here a tutorial:
(This is mainly for headphones. In speakers everything is a little different and I don't know if it would be a good idea to change the phase. You can try it and tell me):

1. Download SineGen (or use a similar program). SineGen is freeware but the original website doesn't exist anymore. You can find and download it on a website called "LO4D".

2. In "Frequency" (red arrow) write "500". I think this frequency could be the best option for testing, since it's one of the most sensible frequencies to phase mismatch and it's also important for vocals imaging.

sinegen.png

3. Now click on "Power". You will hear a 500 Hz sine wave. Adjust the volume to pleasant levels, click on the "Phase Difference" slider (green arrow) and move it around until you perfectly center the sound in your head. I personally prefer to close my eyes and sometimes I touch the tip of my nose with a finger in order to better focus on the center of my head.

4. If you do a couple of tries and you get very close to 0º (±5º) then your ears and headphones are perfect! If you get a bigger value (I was getting always around 23º) then you should test if it's the headphones or your ears! To check this you can flip the headphones or try another headphones. If it's just the headphones, check if it's only affecting certain frequencies, since the difference could be negligible in general listening. If your headphones are still under warranty, you could return them.

5. If you want to fix the phase mismatch you will need an equalizer. I'm using Equealizer APO for this. First you need to translate your degrees of phase difference to milliseconds of delay. You can use an online "phase shift calculator". Remember to use here the same frequency that you used in SineGen (e.g. 500 Hz). For example, you'll need 0.156 ms of delay in order to fix a 28º phase difference.
phase.png

6. Add the delay to your EQ and load it in Equalizer APO. If you got a positive degree value in SineGen, then you'll need to add the delay to the left channel. If you got a negative value, you'll need to add the delay to the right channel instead. Apply the equalization file and check it out. If it's not perfect try again until you find the best delay for you.
NOTE: The "delay" filter doesn't seem to work with "Peace GUI", but it's working with the stock "Configurator Editor" of Equalizer APO.

example.png

check.png

In order to further improve your correction, you can use mono music (e.g. using the "Downmix channels to mono" DSP in foobar2000) and tune the ms delay a bit. I added/removed 0.01 ms each time and checked the results with mono music until I found the best match for my ears.

mono.png

Note: Sometimes headphones can have a phase mismatch in certain frequencies but behave correctly with the rest of them. If your headphone has a phase shift in your testing frequency (e.g. 500 Hz) and you use this method, you'll change the phase for all the frequencies and you may get worse imaging than before. That was not my case though!

If anyone knows a better way to do this (e.g. correct the phase of other frequency ranges as well), I'd appreciate it. With this method very low frequencies are still a bit out of phase to my ears, but despite this the improvement after using the delay is still huge!

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
At a guess your ears have a different frequency response from each other, and so the phase is offset. Interesting.

OP
T

Tallulah

At a guess your ears have a different frequency response from each other, and so the phase is offset. Interesting.
I had a tympanometry done years ago and was told that one of my eardrums was more flexible than the other, it could be related to this. Anyways, I'm very happy that I've found this "solution". I'm afraid I'm not the only one in the world with this problem, so I have written the tutorial hoping that it can help someone else (and it's also useful to check if the headphones have a phase mismatch!).

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I had a tympanometry done years ago and was told that one of my eardrums was more flexible than the other, it could be related to this. Anyways, I'm very happy that I've found this "solution". I'm afraid I'm not the only one in the world with this problem, so I have written the tutorial hoping that it can help someone else (and it's also useful to check if the headphones have a phase mismatch!).
I think you're on to something. Everybody's ears are different, just like their eyes etc.

Philbo King

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Interesting...
I think using a single frequency is useful, but perhaps limited. To correct it for a wider frequency range, you might consider using all-pass filters (at the cost of doing much more effort).

OP
T

Tallulah

Interesting...
I think using a single frequency is useful, but perhaps limited. To correct it for a wider frequency range, you might consider using all-pass filters (at the cost of doing much more effort).
You're right. In fact, the first time I used the correction I got very close with the sine wave but it was far from perfect. To improve the correction I activated "Downmix channels to mono" in foobar2000 and I tuned the ms delay a bit while listening to music. I added/removed 0.01 ms each time and checked the results with mono music until I found the best match for my ears. I think bass is still a bit out of phase, but the improvement for me after using this delay was huge.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
During the last days I've been using a sine wave generator ("SineGen") to find peaks in my headphones and equalize them. Yesterday I noticed that this software has an option to adjust the phase of the wave, and I decided to try it out. I did several tests moving the slider with my eyes closed trying to center the sound and I always got a similar value, far from the default of zero degrees! Something was wrong...

If anyone knows a better way to do this (e.g. correct the phase of other frequency ranges as well), I'd appreciate it. With this method very low frequencies are still a bit out of phase to my ears, but despite this the improvement after using the delay is still huge!

Sounds like it isn't a phase problem but timing related.
The phase will differ per frequency when all one does is change the time delay for one channel.
A question would be what causes this.
160uS delay in one ear could not be caused by a difference in length of the ear canal I reckon.
Perhaps it is something in the auditory nerves or brain.
I would assume this is not a problem with speakers/real world sounds as tilting the head sideways or 'misjudging' where sounds come from by some degrees would not be something problematic.

What time difference do you find at say 100Hz or 3kHz ? Is it close to the same time delay ? If so it is a timing difference.

Last edited:

holdingpants01

Forum Donor
the crazy thing is it also could mean mismatch in the perceived frequency tuning. Few years ago I got sick, lost a big part of the spectrum in one ear, took steroids but when I was getting better the sick ear started to shift the lost part of the spectrum lower. Imagine 1/5 of the piano keyboard out of tune by eight note in one ear. It's called diplacusis dysharmonica, but it's only one type of diplacusis. You can hear the timing wrong, like a latency in one ear - diplacusis echoica, you can hear two pitches of the same sound at the same time - diplacusis monauralis, or you can even have a lag or tuning problem in both ears - binaural diplacusis. Interesting thing is diplacusis dysharmonica is a normal condition to an extent, so it's entirely possible to hear two different pitches in headphones when panning left to right, as there's no blending between sides.

Diplacusis (pronounced dip-lah-KOO-sis) is a hearing disorder where an individual perceives a single sound as different pitches in the two ears, most commonly known as “double hearing”. It can present as a secondary symptom of hearing loss. However, it also occurs in those with normal hearing.
In people with normal hearing, the brain works to blend sounds signals from each ear, which we then perceive as one sound. The two ears work together as one unit. This means the two ears bring together different sets of information, but this information is combined and interpreted in the brain.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I'd be confirming the left and right tone gen/DAC channel signals on a 'scope before jumping to any conclusions about your ears. XY them (lissajous) and sweep it from 20-20kHz.

OP
T

Tallulah

I would assume this is not a problem with speakers/real world sounds as tilting the head sideways or 'misjudging' where sounds come from by some degrees would not be something problematic.
That's right! I'm not sure about speakers since I don't have any good speakers to try this (nor an acoustically treated room), but in my daily life I'm not able to tell that difference. However, I've always had issues understanding what people say in moderately noisy places. In fact, two days ago during a bus ride I had a bad time trying to understand someone talking to me.

What time difference do you find at say 100Hz or 3kHz ? Is it close to the same time delay ? If so it is a timing difference.
Over 1500 Hz it's impossible for me to tell the phase mismatch (this is normal, in RTINGS "imaging" section you can check the audibility treshold of phase shift). At 100 Hz it's a bit hard to tell for me, but I would say it sounds centered when I'm using the same time delay that I use for 500 Hz. I've just noticed that, since I can't tell differences in phase over 1500 Hz, when I apply the time delay while listening to high-pitched sounds the sound doesn't move in my head.

The time delay is only affecting sounds below 1500 Hz, I guess the brain relies mainly on the amplitude to decide where to position high pitched-sounds. At 3000 Hz I couldn't even tell a 3 ms difference between channels, but at 500 Hz a 0.1 ms delay makes a big difference. Maybe my problem is a timing difference but it only affects the mids because our brains are more sensitive to time differences at those frequencies.

the crazy thing is it also could mean mismatch in the perceived frequency tuning.
Your reply is very interesting. I'm not able to tell if I'm hearing a different frequency between my ears, though. It may be just a very mild case of diplacusis echoica, affecting only to the most sensible frequencies (mainly from 100 Hz to 1000 Hz). EDIT: I just did a new test. I have opened two instances of the program, one that only outputs sound on the left channel and one for the right channel. I have used the same amplitude on both channels and I have tried to select slightly different frequencies (pitch) for the ears (for example, one ear at 500 Hz and the other one at 505 Hz or 495 Hz). I felt a very strange effect unless I selected the same frequency for both ears. It seems that I have no issues related to frequency.

I'd be confirming the left and right tone gen/DAC channel signals on a 'scope before jumping to any conclusions about your ears. XY them (lissajous) and sweep it from 20-20kHz.
I appreciate your reply but I believe this is not the case. I started to notice this back in 2012, since then I've used many different sources and headphones, but the vocals (and all the mids) in music were always displaced to the left side for me. I thought it was just "hearing lost" for all this time until I recently discovered this fix that works great for me.

Last edited:

badspeakerdesigner

I've had this problem for some time now, my hearing used to be perfect but my jaw shifted after losing teeth and now my left ear drum is a little protruded most of the time. No amount of EQ or gain fixes it, like my brain just tunes it back to imbalanced.

I'm more interested in how this will behave this speakers, I'll give it a shit and report back.

OP
T

Tallulah

I've had this problem for some time now, my hearing used to be perfect but my jaw shifted after losing teeth and now my left ear drum is a little protruded most of the time. No amount of EQ or gain fixes it, like my brain just tunes it back to imbalanced.

I'm more interested in how this will behave this speakers, I'll give it a shit and report back.
I spent many hours doing tests after writing this post since it's very hard for the untrained ear to know exactly what's wrong, especially if it's something you've lived with for many years. After some recent testing, I've come to the conclusion that it might not really be a time difference, but there is a reason why using the delay gave me better results than simply changing the volume on the right channel to make it louder.

Adding a delay gives the mental illusion that one channel is louder, but it only affects frequencies under ~1.5 kHz (humans are most sensitive to time/phase differences on frequencies under ~1.5 kHz). The delay was acting very similar to an equalization that only affects bass and mids. After learning this, I tried to equalize only those frequencies and pay more attention when listening to music. It seems that I have asymmetrical hearing depending on frequency. I'm attaching a screenshot of my current correction (best one so far):

Untitled-1.png

As you can see, there's about 2 dB difference between my ears but it only affects under ~2 kHz and over ~7 kHz. The time delay was also affecting only under ~1.5 kHz, that's why it gave me better results than just making the right channel louder. I'm quite happy because I'm finally making my hearing experience better after many years of asymmetrical hearing.

My nose, jaw and eyes are not perfectly aligned, it would not be strange if my ears (inner or outer) have also some asymmetry. I hope you find a fix that will improve your music listening experience. It requires many hours of corrections and testing with music (stereo and mono) and using a tone generator... but it is possible that you will find some deviation that you can correct with equalization.

OCA

Forum Donor

To see if it was the headphones, I first centered the sound moving the slider and then I flipped my headphones so the left driver was in the right ear and vice versa. After doing this I noticed the audio was now very offset, suggesting it was not the headphones but my ears instead. To confirm this, I got other headphones and I repeated the blind test... I was getting very similar values with the phase slider. My ears are out of phase!! I have never seen anyone talk about this issue before. Maybe it's because my ear canals don't measure the same or my eardrums are different? I have no idea.

I had always heard slightly differently with my left and right ears. The left one was always louder and had more "resolution". No matter how much I adjusted the decibels in each channel, I wasn't able to fix the stereo image. The vocals were always a bit displaced to the left side. Our brains are very sensitive to phase, especially under 1 kHz. You can't trick the brain only changing the amplitude. After finding this out, I have added a delay corresponding to the degrees of phase shift to one of the audio channels and... although my ears aren't still perfect, the stereo image has improved A LOT! I can finally hear the vocals exactly in the center! I'm quite happy now!

If anybody wants to try this out, I'm writing here a tutorial:
(This is mainly for headphones. In speakers everything is a little different and I don't know if it would be a good idea to change the phase. You can try it and tell me):

1. Download SineGen (or use a similar program). SineGen is freeware but the original website doesn't exist anymore. You can find and download it on a website called "LO4D".

2. In "Frequency" (red arrow) write "500". I think this frequency could be the best option for testing, since it's one of the most sensible frequencies to phase mismatch and it's also important for vocals imaging.

View attachment 289182

3. Now click on "Power". You will hear a 500 Hz sine wave. Adjust the volume to pleasant levels, click on the "Phase Difference" slider (green arrow) and move it around until you perfectly center the sound in your head. I personally prefer to close my eyes and sometimes I touch the tip of my nose with a finger in order to better focus on the center of my head.

4. If you do a couple of tries and you get very close to 0º (±5º) then your ears and headphones are perfect! If you get a bigger value (I was getting always around 23º) then you should test if it's the headphones or your ears! To check this you can flip the headphones or try another headphones. If it's just the headphones, check if it's only affecting certain frequencies, since the difference could be negligible in general listening. If your headphones are still under warranty, you could return them.

5. If you want to fix the phase mismatch you will need an equalizer. I'm using Equealizer APO for this. First you need to translate your degrees of phase difference to milliseconds of delay. You can use an online "phase shift calculator". Remember to use here the same frequency that you used in SineGen (e.g. 500 Hz). For example, you'll need 0.156 ms of delay in order to fix a 28º phase difference.
View attachment 289200
6. Add the delay to your EQ and load it in Equalizer APO. If you got a positive degree value in SineGen, then you'll need to add the delay to the left channel. If you got a negative value, you'll need to add the delay to the right channel instead. Apply the equalization file and check it out. If it's not perfect try again until you find the best delay for you.
NOTE: The "delay" filter doesn't seem to work with "Peace GUI", but it's working with the stock "Configurator Editor" of Equalizer APO.

View attachment 289186

View attachment 289197

In order to further improve your correction, you can use mono music (e.g. using the "Downmix channels to mono" DSP in foobar2000) and tune the ms delay a bit. I added/removed 0.01 ms each time and checked the results with mono music until I found the best match for my ears.

View attachment 289237

Note: Sometimes headphones can have a phase mismatch in certain frequencies but behave correctly with the rest of them. If your headphone has a phase shift in your testing frequency (e.g. 500 Hz) and you use this method, you'll change the phase for all the frequencies and you may get worse imaging than before. That was not my case though!

Did you check if you can detect phase differences for frequencies below 100Hz?

OP
T

Tallulah

Did you check if you can detect phase differences for frequencies below 100Hz?
Yes, I can. Using the phase slider makes a difference. Although our ears/brain are more sensitive around 200~400 Hz, as you can see on this graph from RTINGS, which is based on this research. You can also read more about this here. On subbass, you need more degrees of phase difference to notice it.

phase-mm-audibility-threshold.JPG

I recently went to an ENT. I had no visible irregularities on my auditory system. I also had an audiometry done (from 250 Hz to 8 kHz). Both ears could hear within normal ranges (around 15 dB) and had very similar sensitivity. I believe that my imbalance is lower than 5 dB, so it has no medical importance. I guess I am just too aware of small details that should go unnoticed (which is bad for enjoyment).

Reactions: OCA

Salt

Forum Donor
At the start of this thread I had the idea of impedance mismatch of the tympanics that might give, due to stiffness of one of them, some delay.
A normal audiometry does not confirm this, as this would reveal that.

asrlat

This is very interesting. I would like to remind/inform you that the type of EQ we normally use ("minimum phase") is actually shifting the phase to acheve the results. You can use software called rePhase to see what kind of phase shift your EQ curve produces. It could be that EQ is all you need without any fixed delay.

Here's a sample of what rePhase can look like. Top curve is the gain (-3dB @100Hz, +3dB @500Hz) and the dashed line is the resulting phase shift (hard to see but the extrema of that curve are around -9 deg and +12 deg). I created the EQ on the "Paragraphic Gain EQ" tab of rePhase using the "minimum-phase" setting.

1704280274905.png

RePhase can also create linear-phase EQ's. You can use rePhase filters by generating an impulse file in it and then using that impulse file in EQ APO's Convolution filter.

bennybbbx

I test with 440 hz tone, I can hear with phase set to 2 that it come little outside mid 1 degree i hear no diffrence clear. with 100 degree it sound full right with -100 degree it sound full left. with more degree - it give strange feeling in ear and sound some kind of spacy. the tone come from more left but on right side i hear then a strange reverb . the reverb on right side get higher when i move slider above +100 more . at +180 degree it sound as there come 2 tones 1 in left 1 full right and sound very spacy

what did other hear when ypou set the phase slider so it sound from middle and add 100 to left or right. can you then hear clear the sound from left or right ?

I can hear on phase 0 tone come from middle. for low frequency the phase is used for stereo location. It is call ITD. here is a explain wy this happen https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/neuroscience/interaural-time-difference

it seem many people did not hear ITD .if they maybe hear when do a phase shift between left and right is a good find from you. can not hear ITD is in ear doctor speak cocktail party effect. this hear loss happen very early but not ITD hearing can also other reasons. on some pages are told it cain trainy

Edit: at 816 HZ i get not such strange feeling in ears when over 100 degree. it sound then more away from mid until 180 degree. at 973 hz i can then only hear that at 0 degree signal have more clarity and is smaller. with 180 degree it sound as come from middle but it sound as it have more reverb on both sides. audio science tell that under 80 hz can not localize. but i can localize down to 53 hz very good the bass. at 0 degree it sound from middle and is small. on 100 degree it is full right . on 180 degree it sound wide and as with much reverb and strange feeling for ears. to produce phases exact it is also important to have precise speakers(low % distortion maybe show less group delay too) that can reach precise timing because left and right speaker do diffrent moving at same time in stereo signals

Last edited:

bennybbbx

This is very interesting. I would like to remind/inform you that the type of EQ we normally use ("minimum phase") is actually shifting the phase to acheve the results.

this sine gen 2.1 shift the phase between left and right channel. you can reach the effect with a delay or use rephase but only for left or right channel . when do phase shifts on both channel and 1 sine nothing can hear. here is a video with delay

and here is a thread https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-and-80-hz-tone-can-you-hear-diffrence.50087/

can hear how it sound when 2 bass frequency are out phase

and btw speaker correction software often correct left and right channel independent with minimum phase filters. this sound very worse for me in stereo image and i guess other people that can hear ITD. the only speaker correction software is ik multimedia ark that allow correct both channels with same EQ-

Last edited:
Top Bottom