• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Solder - unleaded or classic Sn60Pb38Cu2?

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
I don't know about eating or drinking it, but the flux fumes are certainly smokeable. They ought to make a vape with that scent.
Rosin flux does smell pleasant, but don't overdo it.....please. :)

OP
Shefffield

Shefffield

Wow, that's far more feedback than I was hoping for. Thanks, guys!

I think I'll go with Stannol HF32, which seems to be still available from many online shops here in Germany.

Since someone was curious, I use an Ersa RDS 80 soldering station, so achieving and holding a sufficient temperature shouldn't be an issue.

I'm happy to have found such a helpful and knowledgeable forum! :D

MCH

Major Contributor
The legislator creates the norm to protect us citizens. If they phased put Pb containing tin is because there was a viable alternative (what is more than evident).
From that moment it is the job of the concerned industry to find the even better alternatives (for instance in this case something even better than the lead solder). If it doesn't happen is beacuse there is no commercial interest or the current alternative is good enough.
This is what always happens in every field, if the legislator (all of us at the end of the day) does not kick the industry's ass nothing would evolve and we would all be living in houses full of asbestos and impregnated with chromium.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
There's nothing inherently wrong with lead free solder when used on the circuits for which it is intended. That would be surface mount components stuffed by machine with the use of lead free solder paste. When doing manual soldering, lead free is simply out of its element and is difficult to work with, but that just translates to more work on the assembly line and occasional cold solder joints. There's no real need to develop any other solder type because lead free works for its intended purpose despite the added hassle.

tomchr

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
Forum Donor
If you're going for leaded solder, I'd go for 63/37 Sn/Pb as that alloy is eutectic, i.e., goes straight from liquid to solid. 60/40 Sn/Pb is another very common alloy. It has a small (5ºC) plastic region, so it transitions from liquid to 'goo' to solid. If you disturb the solder joint as it transitions through that plastic region, you'll have a cold solder joint.

There's no real point to using "silver solder" (62/36/2 Sn/Pb/Ag) unless you're soldering on silver clad connectors, such as many RF connectors. Sn/Pb solders dissolves the silver, which can result in bad solder joints. Adding a bit of silver (usually 2%) to the solder solves that. That said, I also don't think there's any harm in using the "silver solder" everywhere, aside from a possible greater hit to the pocket book.

I disagree that lead-free solder is out of its element in hand soldering, though I can certainly see how someone would arrive at that conclusion. One of the first lead-free alloys was SAC305 (96.5% Sn, 3% Ag, 0.5% Cu). That alloy is still used quite a bit for surface mounted parts populated by machine and you can get it in the form of wire solder as well. It's an awful alloy for hand-soldering. It has a very large plastic region and a high melting point. It doesn't flow nicely and requires a significant dwell time to wet properly. On top of that even a good solder joint made with SAC305 looks grainy (so it basically looks like a cold solder joint performed with 60/40), which makes visual inspection of solder joints harder.

There are more user-friendly lead-free alloys, however. I've come to really like the 99.3/0.7 (Sn/Cu) alloy. It's available under various trade names, such as Kester K100LD, AIM Sn100C, and a few others. This alloy is eutectic and performs a lot like 63/37 Sn/Pb leaded solder in my experience. The only drawback is the higher melting point of 227 ºC vs 181 ºC for 63/37 Sn/Pb. You can get germanium and bismuth doped versions of this alloy as well. Supposedly the Ge/Bi dopants help increase the surface tension so you get fewer solder bridges and such.

For those interested in more details on the various flux types and solder alloys, I do write quite a bit about it here: https://neurochrome.com/pages/choosing-solder

Breathing the flux fumes, although tempting, is generally not recommended. I use a Weller WSA350 smoke absorber to remove the flux fumes. It's basically a fan with an active charcoal filter. It's pricey, big, and loud but it does the job very well. One could get the job done with less though. An old PC fan with a charcoal filter could work well enough.

Tom

Tennz

Personally, always leaded/flux solder for THT - if not just to make your life 10 times easier desoldering if need be. I always dread desoldering non-leaded components, jams your nozzle near instantly (fr-301) because of the higher heat required & makes what could be a simple process an ordeal.

I like to fill a small jar with iso & a cup with q-tips for some of the general flux removal (one tip iso soaked, other dry/damp to wipe away larger buildups), and have a box of 99% prep pads around since they don't fray for a wipe down [can re-use the dry end of the q tip & a rubber band to avoid drying your hands].

SMD stuff like Tom said (or pick/place), definitely less advantageous & something like an electric plate/hot air rework/reflow oven along with unleaded paste is more than adequate for both soldering & removal.

Agreed on fumes though - there are a fair few open source solder fume suckers around (if you live in a "green-friendly" country/state you will likely have access to cheap inline fans) & can make something like [1], [2] - either will knock the socks off the basic computer-fan-connected-to-filter type of deal. [mild PSA: if you do buy one of the computer fan types seen in the following link, replace the filter with one HEPA rated asap]

puppet

The type solder you use shouldn't make a whole lot of difference for electronics. Lead free was introduced for the plumbing industry.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Shouldn't but does.
So does the wetting material.

tomchr

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Actually lead-free was introduced for RoHS compliance in the electronics industry. The idea is to avoid having a bunch of lead waste go to the landfills.

Personally, always leaded/flux solder for THT - if not just to make your life 10 times easier desoldering if need be. I always dread desoldering non-leaded components, jams your nozzle near instantly (fr-301) because of the higher heat required & makes what could be a simple process an ordeal.
That's a really good point actually.

SMD stuff like Tom said (or pick/place), definitely less advantageous & something like an electric plate/hot air rework/reflow oven along with unleaded paste is more than adequate for both soldering & removal.
For toaster oven reflow (which I use for prototypes) I actually use 60/40 Sn/Pb solder. Even though I monitor the temperature in the oven during the reflow and am getting pretty good at hitting the prescribed reflow temperature curve by unplugging/re-plugging the oven at strategic points in the cycle, I still find SAC305 to be a pain to work with. Some joints flow fine. Others have solder granules held together by dry flux. 60/40 flows perfectly every time. ChipQuik makes 60/40 solder paste. It's available a the usual suspects: Mouser, Digikey, et al.

If you do set up a toaster oven for solder reflow, please don't use it for food after...

Tom

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
I an so glad to see this thread talk about easy and reliability not some magic about "silver" solder that some claim magically removes harmonics from recordings and gives 100dB SNR to vinyl. :)

Fortunately, I still have almost a full spool of good old Kester 60/40.

tomchr

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Heh... Now about resonance control... :)

Happy New Year!

Tom

Weeb Labs

Hello, forum!

I'm not really good at soldering. In order to maximize my chances for good, reliant connections I still think that using leaded solder makes it a lot easier.

As far as I know, it is still legal for private users (here in Europe) to buy and use leaded solder. Where to purchase it is the next question though..

What are your experiences and recommendations?
You can pick up some Loctite 60/40/3% from Farnell or RS. It's very nice. :)

1640981483766.png

Capitol C

The other advantage to 63/37 is that it freezes faster after the iron is removed, minimizing the chances of a cold joint. When I can find it, that's what I prefer using.
Completely correct. 63/37 is a eutectic. The following diagram is not hard to understand. The upper lines are where freezing starts when you lower the temperature, and the horizontal line at 183 degrees C is when freezing is complete. You get a double advantage at the eutectic, in that freezing is at the lowest possible temperature and it happens all at once at that temperature. I am surprised, however, to see that the diagram says 61.3, not 63--does anyone know why the solder is 63/37 instead of 61.9/38.1?
iu

MCH

Major Contributor
I have no idea, but if I would have to guess, might be to make sure to avoid formation of domains of lead that could even separate due to higher density. Or maybe there is a known impurity that shifts the point

howard416

If no kids around, use name brand rosin-multi-core eutectic leaded solder. Ersin/Multicore Savbit's probably the best.

If kids around, use Sn100C. Flux core if you can get it, obviously.

howard416

One of my best friends rigorously washed his hands after using leaded solder. He also ate all the right things. He died at 55 from pancreatic cancer.
Great. You can stop wearing a seatbelt and drinking water and eating vegetables now.

Top Bottom