• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

solder paste recommendations in EU

MCH

Major Contributor
Hi,
I am about to do my first smd solder with solder paste on a hot plate and i wanted to hear some recommendations about good solder paste that is available in Europe in low quantities.
I specify Europe because if i search online, most of the information i find is about american products that in some cases are available, for instance in Mouser, but in most cases are not. The only brand from those discussions that i see in amazon.de (my preferred source) is MG Chemicals 4900 and 4902.

I don't want to spend a fortune (Kester) but don't want to risk my project going the aliexpress way, neither need i half a kilo of solder paste in my refrigerator for the next couple of years. Surprisingly, i am finding very little variety outside of the Aliexpress and Amazon noname world. EU distributors like TME offer only 5 solder paste products overall (?)

I will not use a stencil nor an oven, just a hot plate. Because of my day job i understand concepts like viscosity, particle size, surface area and wetting if someone wants to go in technical explanations. If not, names of one or two decent grades will suffice, thanks :)

mcdn

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Reactions: MCH
OP
M

MCH

Major Contributor
Thanks. Mostly Chip Quik products there. Any recommendations?

Bamboszek

I used Chip Quick brand from Farnell at previous work and it was fine but can't remember exact part number.
Generally lower melting point is better, preferably water washable so you don't need some fancy flux remover.
Aliexpress stuff can be very good too for half of the price. But again, you need to find specific part numbers.
Like you said low quantities are preferable because even stored in refrigerator it loses some of its properties over time. Bigger containers however are much cheaper.

DonDish

OP
M

MCH

Major Contributor
Digikey is good to deal with. I bought a bunch of chipquick solder and flux. Check out specsheets and chipquick wsite to find what you need.
Thanks. I already have it, from Mouser eventually. Have not used it yet, but storage at room temperature and shelf life ">12 months" fit my needs. Performance wise, let's see.

Btw, I also took the chance to buy 0.39 mm wire, also chipquik, and also very cheap. Wanted to find 0.25 mm to hand solder small ICs but that diameter becomes way too expensive.

Top Bottom