• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

So what is a common "balanced headphone" for testing?

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You could get a balanced cable for the HD650's, affordable balanced cables are pretty easy to find although you can also spend silly sums on boutique cables for them.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
For maximum flexibility, would suggest a cable terminated with 2.5mm TRRS.

It would allow via adaptors to be used with 4.4mm pentacon, 4-pin XLR, dual 3-pin XLR to be plugged.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Go to amazon and type in Sennheiser HD650 balanced cable and bunches of them will pop up. Some are real pretty.

Like these:
https://www.amazon.com/NewFantasia-...=8-2&keywords=sennheiser+hd650+balanced+cable

I used to make interconnects like that. Looks like the same cable. I had some milspec coax that was teflon and silver with silver braided shield. I'd strip off the shield and use the core in a braided configuration. Sure was a pain to remove the outer cover and shield.

Adapters like this too.
https://www.amazon.com/Sukira-Balan...8-15&keywords=sennheiser+hd650+balanced+cable

esm

Forum Donor
Something I always point out when folks are talking about HD650-esque replacement cables: the excellent 3m OEM cable is $11, from Sennheiser. I couldn't make a cable for that cheap if I wanted to; hell, a good 4-pin XLR connector is going to cost as much as that. :)

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Something I always point out when folks are talking about HD650-esque replacement cables: the excellent 3m OEM cable is $11, from Sennheiser. I couldn't make a cable for that cheap if I wanted to; hell, a good 4-pin XLR connector is going to cost as much as that. :)

I get the impression some headphone manufacturers see balanced cables as a bit of a cash cow. For example Beyerdynamic charge 99 Euros for a 2.5mm plug balanced cable for the T1/T5P and 149 Euros with an XLR connector. I suspect their (well found) assumption is that many of those looking for balanced headphones actually want expensive cables. However, luckily it is relatively easy to find third party alternatives for much less.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's become common practice to use balanced connectors on anything and everything now. If a stock cable is detachable and has 4 conductors then someone will sell a balanced version. If not, there will be dealers who manage to get away with selling re-terminated and re-cabled versions.

Like @maxxevv said, just get and extra cable for the headphones you have, re-terminate it to something with 4 poles, and then make some adapters from there.

Timbo2

Exactly the cable I used. Highly recommended!
nA9MTunCNXB_QhWMXmeX8S6v4X3pCRSAMZTbf1-areexr0Hin7PKOK0nNQs7L-dspwRxjhyw4sjjOGxw5sAjea_EzZDzFTfcwcNbSeeqar_pk_8dJJjeW9hQm63dbi_VIcL-2wbtwbGiHYz_wjc0pnuoQuTPWcOI3M-pxqoQfZNmipYySwuUbYudQ5A1yhcelSSchGpgpzPYIhStWsoI61b3aNOb9624noi15Ulu9goEhuJg2TgTYcMqxISx70tqCb0OCi708iAGWwLsA68YbZMu6nk4G2ZczFguZr-dspFg6pndr6KbDFABdYX9Lcsgg8LFILVo97lkdh4hSiMZRkdPNv3XnvzbF4xSLy1PDCNfRIWWXh9lvZ9KtyqDsrI5sAmw2MoAL7Tvl3JqBYrdF_Ubbx-abQymH4SoZCZxpsXPK8nRUiKlfYbzGCNlnwZFXWuGUIur-BEPDABEGyrZUPT4aVecQj0gEZTar39JO3TjbmA5m28DruLvlnBXVsl5eOkGHlP5TnMCZ_FuopYI4_xzwUXbxIgb-jMKO0swc_3mqdFoWuUzv2VwYBFOEhWjmciWP7yQppE0YYdp7DnAJE8kRQYbB8Ol-U4ld7zkEIeGhBgpeonTESMMbkV6WcA=w1176-h882-no

maxxevv

Major Contributor
It's become common practice to use balanced connectors on anything and everything now. If a stock cable is detachable and has 4 conductors then someone will sell a balanced version. If not, there will be dealers who manage to get away with selling re-terminated and re-cabled versions.

Like @maxxevv said, just get and extra cable for the headphones you have, re-terminate it to something with 4 poles, and then make some adapters from there.

My HD6XX came with the shorter 3.5mm plugged cables. And I bought an aftermarket 4-core one, terminated in 2.5mm TRRS.
The OEM cable that came with the HD6XX was surprisingly poor when I measured the resistance of the cable versus the aftermarket one. It had effectively double the resistance value of the replacement cable. ( measured from plug R+ , L+ to headphone connector pins R+ and L+ and averaged.)

The original Sennheiser cable that came with the HD650 may be different, so it might be worth a check if have a chance to do such a comparison.

Timbo2

My HD6XX came with the shorter 3.5mm plugged cables. And I bought an aftermarket 4-core one, terminated in 2.5mm TRRS.
The OEM cable that came with the HD6XX was surprisingly poor when I measured the resistance of the cable versus the aftermarket one. It had effectively double the resistance value of the replacement cable. ( measured from plug R+ , L+ to headphone connector pins R+ and L+ and averaged.)

The original Sennheiser cable that came with the HD650 may be different, so it might be worth a check if have a chance to do such a comparison.

When I cut down the $10 cable mentioned above to 1.2m I measured the resistance to make sure my soldering was OK and that I wired the proper pins. I seem to recall it being about 10 milliohms or less on all 4 conductors. It may have actually been 1 milliohm. I remember the "1" but not the decimal place.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

esm

Forum Donor
Yeah, for $11, cut the end off and terminate it any old way you want, and you're still going to come out ahead of any third-party cable made with unobtainium wire.

Tircuit

Forum Donor
I run my HE-400i headphones balanced. There's $12-35 cables out there that work well.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
yes, and the HD580, HD58X and quite a bunch of other Sennheisers.

MrPokeboy8

If you want to wait and take a risk, there's this cheap cable for your HD650 from LunaShops that says it is a balanced 2.5mm. There is also a posting of this, but more expensive for some reason, on eBay; it comes in a twisted variant on both sites.
I have done a small search on LunaShops and it is a mixed bag to me. Proceed with caution and time. If anyone else knows of these cables, please tell if they are good to use or not.

Though, the option to make your own balanced cable using the OEM cable as a base sounds interesting, if it truly comes with 4-cores.

Top Bottom