• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

So my Focal Aria 948 is dead

raindance

Major Contributor
Thanks for the fast reply! So my other speakers measuring lower than the specified 8 ohms is totally normal?
Yes. Because 8 ohms is "average" AC impedance and you're measuring DC resistance which is typically lower, like 5 or 6 ohms.

Stiffmeister

Yes. Because 8 ohms is "average" AC impedance and you're measuring DC resistance which is typically lower, like 5 or 6 ohms.
Perfect. Thanks a lot. I will focus on the broken bass driver of the left speaker. Will post some pictures here if they let me fix the speaker myself and send the parts to me

cavedriver

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Perfect. Thanks a lot. I will focus on the broken bass driver of the left speaker. Will post some pictures here if they let me fix the speaker myself and send the parts to me
might just be a loose wire- did you pull the driver yet? I had a solder joint fail on a tweeter that I had owned for decades, but I've also had electronics arrives with loose spade connections.

Stiffmeister

might just be a loose wire- did you pull the driver yet? I had a solder joint fail on a tweeter that I had owned for decades, but I've also had electronics arrives with loose spade connections.
Do you know how to remove the trim rings of these speakers? Don’t want to force anything and break it

cavedriver

Do you know how to remove the trim rings of these speakers? Don’t want to force anything and break it
most trim rings are just pressure-fit and can be pryed loose with a plastic automotive tool or a screwdriver if you're desparate. For common products like a Focal speaker you can probably find a youtube video of someone opening one up.

OP
D

delta76

Major Contributor
a little pull will do. they are glued, and those rings can be glued back without any problems
i did it like 4 times and no problem at all

Stiffmeister

a little pull will do. they are glued, and those rings can be glued back without any problems
i did it like 4 times and no problem at all
I was able to pry it loose with a flat screwdriver. Thanks for the tip. Opened it up and disconnected both the upper and lower bass driver. Both measured the same which i thought was odd but what I noticed when disconnecting the drivers is that the cable connected to the + terminal on the ‘broken’ driver was too far in. Thus clamping the sleeve of the cable and not the copper itself. I did the battery test on both drivers and they just worked. Reconnected them to the internal wiring of the speaker and voila. Probably just not making contact to the + terminal of the driver. Probably been listening to this speaker for years with one driver not working… Thanks for all the tips and quick replies guys. I can sleep well now knowing everything is working as it should

stanislawf

looks like I'm in the same boat, just received one of two speakers focal Aria 948 and it's completely dead, I was able to remove the back part where you are connecting cables that were very easy, and I discover that my board is damaged, see my pictures, I guess my question is where I can find the replacement parts for that? looks like only true the FOCAL dealer...

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    691.8 KB · Views: 151
  • 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    453.5 KB · Views: 155
  • 3.png
    3.png
    477.7 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:

MAB

Major Contributor
hey buddy, I saw your post, and looks like I'm in the same boat, just received one of two speakers focal Aria 948 and it's completely dead, I was able to remove the back part where you are connecting cables that were very easy, and I did discover that my board is damaged, see my pictures, I guess my question is where I can find the replacement parts for that, did you fix yours?
Wow.
My first reaction is that the large inductor is unsupported like a plank... if subject to a shock perpendicular to the PCB it will bend and break easily.
Focal and/or the shipping agency needs to fix or replace.
The good news, if the damage is limited to the crossover boards, this is a straightforward repair.
If so, this board would benefit from a simple support under the inductor. This looks like the team that designed it has no concept of shipping and mechanical stress, and never performed a proper drop-test (drop-test is a thing).

MAB

Major Contributor
Wow.
My first reaction is that the large inductor is unsupported like a plank... if subject to a shock perpendicular to the PCB it will bend and break easily.
The good news, if the damage is limited to the crossover boards, this is a straightforward repair.
If so, this board would benefit from a simple support under the inductor. This looks like the team that designed it has no concept of shipping and mechanical stress, and never performed a proper drop-test (drop-test is a thing).
In the OP's case, it broke off completely.
index.php

That's such a big plug of copper and iron to be supported by a brittle bendy flexy thing like that. The heaviest part of the crossover is perfectly positioned to break the board along the edge of the binding-post plate. I bet this would break off if the delivery vehicle drove over a bump with the speaker lying frontside or backside-up. It looks like a really bad mechanical design.

OP
D

delta76

Major Contributor
hey buddy, I saw your post, and looks like I'm in the same boat, just received one of two speakers focal Aria 948 and it's completely dead, I was able to remove the back part where you are connecting cables that were very easy, and I did discover that my board is damaged, see my pictures, I guess my question is where I can find the replacement parts for that, did you fix yours?
I think it is familiar with my 948. My neighbor helped to solder it back.

My other 948's crossover was snapped in half as a photo above. Funnily the one which was "dead" was simpler/easier to fix. The one which was partly working (mid and treble were fine but no bass) needed a very hackly solution.

I eventually bought a pair of crossovers for almost 190 eur/each, but haven't replaced them

Reactions: MAB

stanislawf

Wow.
yep, agree but looks like they are aware of the problem. So I didn't have anything to lose so I attempted to temporarily fix it until new parts will arrive from Germany, my 2nd speaker should arrive this Friday, and even if the 2nd speaker will be working I will inspect the board for potential damage and cracks, you can buy this board only true the FOCAL dealer not sure about the price but won't be 100$ part. I'm posting pictures and measurements after the fix, the speaker seems to be working fine after my repairs, I guess I will compare it when the new part will be installed, I did also measure the impedance of my Focal Aria 906 and it is 4,4 and my center focal aria 900cc and it is 4,8 I hope this will be helpful for someone.

Attachments

• IMG_5453.jpg
    IMG_5453.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_5452.jpg
    IMG_5452.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_5451.jpg
    IMG_5451.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_5447.jpg
    IMG_5447.jpg
    298.2 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_5440.jpg
    IMG_5440.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_5439.jpg
    IMG_5439.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_5454.jpg
    IMG_5454.jpg
    262.5 KB · Views: 87

MAB

Major Contributor
yep, agree but looks like they are aware of the problem. So I didn't have anything to lose so I attempted to temporarily fix it until new parts will arrive from Germany, my 2nd speaker should arrive this Friday, and even if the 2nd speaker will be working I will inspect the board for potential damage and cracks, you can buy this board only true the FOCAL dealer not sure about the price but won't be 100$ part. I'm posting pictures and measurements after the fix, the speaker seems to be working fine after my repairs, I guess I will compare it when the new part will be installed, I did also measure the impedance of my Focal Aria 906 and it is 4,4 and my center focal aria 900cc and it is 4,8 I hope this will be helpful for someone.
Good to hear they are working with you. I bet they have seen this fail mode before.;)
Looks like you have done a nice job. Good you measured it, best not to accidentally blow an amp because of a short that you didn't see.

norono

Hi, I wish you a nice day everyone. I am new here and happy owner of 948s, but I would like to upgrade and take them apart.
Would you please be so kind as to tell me more precisely how to remove the metal ring around the speakers in the best and safest way ?

OP
D

delta76

Major Contributor
Hi, I wish you a nice day everyone. I am new here and happy owner of 948s, but I would like to upgrade and take them apart.
Would you please be so kind as to tell me more precisely how to remove the metal ring around the speakers in the best and safest way ?
It is just glued to you can pull it out, firmly but gently. Best to use some plastic tool to avoid cosmetic damage to the speaker and the ring itself

Stiffmeister

It is just glued to you can pull it out, firmly but gently. Best to use some plastic tool to avoid cosmetic damage to the speaker and the ring itself
I can confirm this. It wil come loose with a little pulling. The glue is good enough to just put it back on without using new double sided tape

norono

Thank you very much for your help. Do you mean to pry it from the inside of the speaker circle?
And what about the tweeter?

OP
D

delta76

Major Contributor
Thank you very much for your help. Do you mean to pry it from the inside of the speaker circle?
And what about the tweeter?
I haven't tried with the tweeter, only bass and mid

valerianf

Guys, I am very sorry for your damaged crossover boards/connection.
It seems that Focal is not taking care enough about reliability.
Electrical connection and mechanical fixture are two different subjects.
Parts need to be fixed as to as to be able to support shipping: this is why glue/brackets are used for the big EC capacitors in the power amps.
Regarding the cracked Pcb, could you make them thicker Mr Focal?

OP
D

delta76

Major Contributor
Guys, I am very sorry for your damaged crossover boards/connection.
It seems that Focal is not taking care enough about reliability.
Electrical connection and mechanical fixture are two different subjects.
Parts need to be fixed as to as to be able to support shipping: this is why glue/brackets are used for the big EC capacitors in the power amps.
Regarding the cracked Pcb, could you make them thicker Mr Focal?
Agreed. It would take quite a force to break the crossover during transportation (drop etc.), but a better engineering would have survived that

Top Bottom