• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speaker not turn on until volume is increased

gwgang

My right channel Focal Aria 906 speaker has no output at low volume. After I increase the volume, the speaker works normally, even if I lower the volume again. I had test this out with two different DAC/AMP combinations. My PC outputs to two connections. One is Topping DX3pro+Hypex Amp, the other is to Denon AV receiver via TV's HDMI. I checked all the cable connections, and they seems to be connected firmly. What could be causing this?

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Two different amps pretty-much isolates it, but swap the left & right speakers to confirm it's the speaker.

You can have a bad contact with a connector or switch where there is maybe some slight corrosion and increase will "break through" and restore the connection. It could be a connector or quick-connect inside the speaker if everything inside the speaker isn't soldered. It has to be before the crossover or else the woofer or tweeter would keep working.

If you can open-up the speaker, wiggle the connections and unplug-re-plug any plugs. If it's a bad plug-in connection, re-plugging will usually fix it and if it's something else loose wiggling things should help to track it down. (I don't think your speaker has any switches.)

OP
G

gwgang

Two different amps pretty-much isolates it, but swap the left & right speakers to confirm it's the speaker.

You can have a bad contact with a connector or switch where there is maybe some slight corrosion and increase will "break through" and restore the connection. It could be a connector or quick-connect inside the speaker if everything inside the speaker isn't soldered. It has to be before the crossover or else the woofer or tweeter would keep working.

If you can open-up the speaker, wiggle the connections and unplug-re-plug any plugs. If it's a bad plug-in connection, re-plugging will usually fix it and if it's something else loose wiggling things should help to track it down. (I don't think your speaker has any switches.)
Thanks so much for the suggestion. I forgot to mention that I DIYed a switch box between the AMPs and the speaker. So my problem is definitely inside this box because I already switched speakers around. I had soldered all the connections inside, so I didn't think the solders weaken. I will have to open it up somehow. I was too confident in my soldering skill and glue the box shut. OOps.

Top Bottom