• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

So my DAC and AMP are on the way and now I learn it will make no difference over my Smartphone

OP
J

john5220

I hear since I am interested in hard loud punchy bass slamming bass I need a actual external amp to achieve that

Does this mean I need new headphones or raise the EQ on my hd58x?

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My advice is to buy audio gear based on your own needs and listening preferences, not based on reviews or what is a fashionable component of the moment, I'd also recommend the old one of buy what you like and like what you buy.

If audio gear meets your needs and you like it then what does it matter what anyone else (reviewers and magazines included) thinks?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
My advice is to buy audio gear based on your own needs and listening preferences, not based on reviews or what is a fashionable component of the moment, I'd also recommend the old one of buy what you like and like what you buy.

If audio gear meets your needs and you like it then what does it matter what anyone else (reviewers and magazines included) thinks?

Variation on an old theme...usually applying to marriage...
Enter into the purchase with eyes wide open. Thereafter, enjoy your time together with your eyes half closed.

thomasjast

What on earth? I had the best onboard sound card on this planet and it sounded weak compared to my Atom + D50s, to say nothing of being plugged into a phone.

Enjoy your new stuff!

OP
J

john5220

What on earth? I had the best onboard sound card on this planet and it sounded weak compared to my Atom + D50s, to say nothing of being plugged into a phone.

Enjoy your new stuff!

Thanks for the awesome post, that gives me a lot more hope :)
I will let u know how it sounds soon as I get it next week

MRC01

Major Contributor
Oluv is either deaf or he has a crap amp. Don't worry. I have used the HD600, ... it sounds better with a good beefy headphone amplifier. ...
Yes this is my experience too. The HD580/600/650 headphones sound quite different and better with a good headphone amp. With some other headphones it might not make much difference. But with these, it does. The headphone amp doesn't necessarily need a lot of power, but it does need to be "clean".

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My 5 cents: I heard zero difference between iPhone and amp/dac on the Sennheiser 598. Now, with the Sennheiser 650, I do think I hear a difference. I think thats because the 650 are more difficult to drive. What is the sensitivity of your headphones? If they are easy to drive I wouldn’t expect much difference.

OP
J

john5220

My 5 cents: I heard zero difference between iPhone and amp/dac on the Sennheiser 598. Now, with the Sennheiser 650, I do think I hear a difference. I think thats because the 650 are more difficult to drive. What is the sensitivity of your headphones? If they are easy to drive I wouldn’t expect much difference.

hd 58x

but i wanna upgrade to planar hifiman 400

or super bass heavy closed backs

jasonq997

Forum Donor
So I came across this youtube video AFTER I purchased my D30 topping and my Liquid Spark AMP for $200

Now its too late to cancel the order and now I feel like a fool? because Oluv says there is no difference between a onboard laptop / smartphone and a $1000 AMP and DAC

Ooh boy now do i feel like a moron, jesus christ. Wish I knew this, I mean have you guys noticed any improvement in sound quality by going with dedicated AMP and DAC?

I will be using a HD58x with it, the funny thing tho is I can notice a clear difference between my PC motherboard and my $40 PC Sound card so maybe I could notice the difference with this DAC AMP combo? or did I just waste my money here?

You made good choices. On some headphones you will hear a difference and lack volume and on others you won't. Think of it as future proofing for future headphone buys.

audimus

Variation on an old theme...usually applying to marriage...
Enter into the purchase with eyes wide open. Thereafter, enjoy your time together with your eyes half closed.

I was going to post exactly this. Also true in long term investing.

In audio, (1j read a lot, audition a lot and ask a lot before purchase. After purchase, (2j just tune out the noise including forums, measurements and reviews and just do what you bought them for ... listen and enjoy. If and when you find something missing or deficient in what you are listening to, go back to (1).

MRC01

Major Contributor
hd 58x
but i wanna upgrade to planar hifiman 400
Are you joking? Hard to tell online. It's questionable whether that is an "upgrade". The HiFiMan 400 is easier to drive and may be more "fun", but the 58x has more neutral frequency response and lower distortion.

OP
J

john5220

ooh yeah I meant the HE4xx which I assume is the same thing?

I was told planar are better than any dynamic headphone and can do things dynamic can't do that is why I assumed the HE4xx was an upgrade to the 58x

Jakkal

For my ears HE4XX are more fun to listen than HD650, the later is more relaxed.
For the DAC/Amp combo, when the sources are properly volume level matched you'll hear no difference between expensive DAC/Amp and properly working smartphone or Mainboard. What you'll get is more power and cleaner sound, because some computers are pretty noisy.
There is a reason for not having a single proper blind test between dacs or amps in internet/YouTube.

garbulky

Major Contributor
I wouldn't stress about the differences between planar and regular. The hifiman's require a large amount of power, much more than a regular headphone does. My suggestion is simply to save up for the best headphone that you want to buy right off the bat otherwise you just end up wasting money with small upgrades to get slowly better. It's more cost-effective to go big for an excellent pair than to start off with a good bargain and upgrade to a slightly better unit (which is what you are doing right now). I regret spending all that time to upgrade to my HD700 and I know when I get my HD800S I'm going to regret all that money I spent on the HD600 and HD 700.

raif71

Major Contributor
I wouldn't stress about the differences between planar and regular. The hifiman's require a large amount of power, much more than a regular headphone does. My suggestion is simply to save up for the best headphone that you want to buy right off the bat otherwise you just end up wasting money with small upgrades to get slowly better. It's more cost-effective to go big for an excellent pair than to start off with a good bargain and upgrade to a slightly better unit (which is what you are doing right now). I regret spending all that time to upgrade to my HD700 and I know when I get my HD800S I'm going to regret all that money I spent on the HD600 and HD 700.

Haha...just think that the experience you had with hd600 and hd700 led you to the hd800s. It's the journey that matters not the destination but said that, even the hd800s may not be the end of destination and the journey still continues. For me, I thought that I would be content for quite some time with the hd660s just bought but guess what...I can't bring that to the office where others can hear. Sound isolation wise, the hd660s is a fail and now I'm trying to find a closed back headphone with similar sound as the 660s...the journey still continues.:)

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Haha...just think that the experience you had with hd600 and hd700 led you to the hd800s. It's the journey that matters not the destination but said that, even the hd800s may not be the end of destination and the journey still continues. For me, I thought that I would be content for quite some time with the hd660s just bought but guess what...I can't bring that to the office where others can hear. Sound isolation wise, the hd660s is a fail and now I'm trying to find a closed back headphone with similar sound as the 660s...the journey still continues.:)

Have you tried IEM's? I like my 650's too, but if people are around they certainly do leak...

Always something new to move 'up' to...even if it often turns out more to be a move sideways...

raif71

Major Contributor
Have you tried IEM's? I like my 650's too, but if people are around they certainly do leak...

Always something new to move 'up' to...even if it often turns out more to be a move sideways...
Yes, I have tried iems but I don't like something sticking into my ear hahahaha

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Yes, I have tried iems but I don't like something sticking into my ear hahahaha

Fair enough...my son can't stand then either.

garbulky

Major Contributor
Ah the struggle! Lol. I agree the journey has been very enjoyable!
I haven’t heard a whole bunch of good headphones so sennheiawr has been the best for me. I was very surprised with the new jbl wireless by headphones (the more expensive one). Surprised me as I usually turn my nose up at anything jbl. I think it’s around $140. Not as good as the hd 660 or the 600 but somewhat close to the hd600 especially for the price. Sennheiser also offers the ie800 which is (supposedly) the iem “hd800”

Top Bottom