• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

So basically all daps are worthless shit?

D

Deleted member 43123

Don't take it personally.

There is only one true way, and that is the way the person posting does it. :D

Haha, yeah I created that username ironically in response to the way some people gave some insanely subjective opinions as hard facts ..

In the end the world of sound is so subjective ..

D

Deleted member 43123

I've got the Fiio M3K, $70. Spent $80 for 512GB of Micro SD. It's hard to imagine a more cost-effective server with over 1600 hours of music. I'm an audio cheapskate [the anthesis of Watchnerd], so I'm not particularly concerned with the appearance or collectability of audio gear, but I'm a little obsessive about bang for the buck. To paraphrase Dolly Parton, you have no idea how much it costs to be this cheap.

This little DAP works great as a line-level source, so I can plug it into the Boston Acoustic clock radio in the kitchen or the desktop stereo elsewhere. Can't hear the difference between I-Tunes---from laptop to Topping E/L 30 stacklette into a Yahama RX-V461 AVR to a/d/s 400e speakers---or just plugging the M3K DAP into the AVR. Using the DAP in this way also frees up the computer---there's pause and volume buttons on the DAP. And this DAP is small enough to be pocketable, unlike my big fat smartphone.

DAPs can be very useful audio sources, it all depends on one's personal needs.

For me it's all about battery life and sound quality.. I have to use an iPhone (won't explain why here) and those have poor battery life and very poor sound. So a DAP is by far the best option for me. I wish some would offer even better battery life than my current NW55 ..

Robin L

Master Contributor
For me it's all about battery life and sound quality.. I have to use an iPhone (won't explain why here) and those have poor battery life and very poor sound. So a DAP is by far the best option for me. I wish some would offer even better battery life than my current NW55 ..
The battery life of the Fiio M3K is great. 24 hours of play time, a month's worth of standby time. When it's hooked up to the desktop stereo it's recharging via a nearby USB charger.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow, I just had to create an account here after reading such a vast amount of bullshit ...

I am a proud owner of a Sony DAP, I feel it works better for me for many reasons which I won't even get into. But ffs, why do so many people waste their fucking time explaining to people using DAPs they shouldn't ? Just mind you own business, if you don't like DAPs, ignore the topic it's gonna make both your lives and ours better ;)

Special mention to @watchnerd for the biggest amount of crap posted as hard truths.

I know what you mean.

Every time I'm walking around the house with my HiBy R5 Saber, while my phone is on the charger, I think I should have just used one of my dongles. That way I'd have to pull my phone out just to skip forward in my playlist, instead of being able to reach into my pocket and hit the button. There must be something wrong with me, right? lol

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Thing is sound quality of majority of DAP's is bad and uncompetitive to the smartphone one while not being more powerful than dongles or flask alike DAC's (which use their own battery). I use perfectly pocket able Sony smartphone which has all the effects of your DAP (which I don't use) and more (as DLNA server and apps) while performing better and intend to continue like that. I also have rare (in regards to ability) flask alike DAC amp which can use regular USB cables and charge the phone while working.
If I whose in for a DAP I would go for HiBy R3Pro (CS43131) even it never whose mesured properly and wouldn't even have to take it out of my pocket - would use my smartphone to control it (and stream between them) and of course it has a good battery life (which only gets better when you don't use it's display).

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I know what you mean.

Every time I'm walking around the house with my HiBy R5 Saber, while my phone is on the charger, I think I should have just used one of my dongles. That way I'd have to pull my phone out just to skip forward in my playlist, instead of being able to reach into my pocket and hit the button. There must be something wrong with me, right? lol
Could be you but I believe you will use a HiBy link on the phone to choose your playlist or the stream rather than DAP's display.
There ware regular players on Android that could remap and use volume buttons to change songs (but only couple of apps).

Madeintooting

The battery life of the Fiio M3K is great. 24 hours of play time, a month's worth of standby time. When it's hooked up to the desktop stereo it's recharging via a nearby USB charger.
Also works as a standalone USB DAC, probably the best £60 I've ever spent.

Use it for late night listening when I don't want to disturb anyone in the house, through a pair of original PX100s , another bargain (£17.99 at the time).

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Actually WolfX-700 did mesure the R3Pro and it did very good for a DAP or any portable (I am glad I recommend it to folks last two years).
So case closed, there are good performing DAP's that don't cost to much.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Could be you but I believe you will use a HiBy link on the phone to choose your playlist or the stream rather than DAP's display.
There ware regular players on Android that could remap and use volume buttons to change songs (but only couple of apps).

25K song collection to choose from to load on my DAP. Nope. Not streaming.

And why would I want to remap my volume buttons when I need them to change the volume????

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
25K song collection to choose from to load on my DAP. Nope. Not streaming.

And why would I want to remap my volume buttons when I need them to change the volume????
It never whose to brake volume, it worked as always, if you pushed a volume button and hold it it would skip the song otherwise it would charge volume when you press it shortly.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It never whose to brake volume, it worked as always, if you pushed a volume button and hold it it would skip the song otherwise it would charge volume when you press it shortly.

But then I can't fast forward into part of a song.

And where's the play/pause button?

Stop trying to convince people that they should not like DAPs just because that's what you prefer.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To reiterate...

A phone plus a dongle is a perfectly accetable solution for a technical point of view but an ergonomic and usability disaster.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
But then I can't fast forward into part of a song.

And where's the play/pause button?

Stop trying to convince people that they should not like DAPs just because that's what you prefer.
I only try to convince them to get a deacent one. And if it performs better for less money then great.

Edit: like R3Pro (Not Sabre! CS43131 version) for DAP's or TempoTec Sonata HD Pro dongle.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Haha, yeah I created that username ironically in response to the way some people gave some insanely subjective opinions as hard facts ..
That's exactly what this site is NOT supposed to be about.
Sorry Schitt Happens ;)

RHO

Major Contributor
OK, I get why that would bother you.
But then your next post contains this:
For me it's all about battery life and sound quality.. I have to use an iPhone (won't explain why here) and those have poor battery life and very poor sound. So a DAP is by far the best option for me.
Can you explain why an iPhone with Apple dongle would, objectively, have poor sound quality? Objectively that Apple dongle performs quite well compared to most DAPs.
I can understand why ergonomics and battery life would be a factor to favor a DAP.

D

Deleted member 43123

OK, I get why that would bother you.
But then your next post contains this:

Can you explain why an iPhone with Apple dongle would, objectively, have poor sound quality? Objectively that Apple dongle performs quite well compared to most DAPs.
I can understand why ergonomics and battery life would be a factor to favor a DAP.

I can admit not having tried so many dongles on the market, but I would disagree any day that the Apple one is good. It's absolutely horrible and is the main reason that drove me to buy a DAP originally actually. It sounds below average at best when you take out of the box, and only gets worse and worse as it bends in your pocket, until it starts emitting weird noises after only a few months ..
Eventually all the Apple dongles I owned (which is 3 in only a year and a half) even started pausing and playing the music automatically while moving in my pocket after 6-8 months. So no, can't agree they are good, they are probably some of the worse pieces of tech I've ever owned.

But there are surely other decent and sustainable dongles out there that would give me the sound quality I get from my DAP. I just like having two separate devices when I'm on the way and don't want to drain my phone's battery.

All in all, this is clearly a personal preference, an d I don't get why people get so triggered by the fact that others want to use DAPs. No one's forcing anyone to use one.

RHO

Major Contributor
I can admit not having tried so many dongles on the market, but I would disagree any day that the Apple one is good. It's absolutely horrible and is the main reason that drove me to buy a DAP originally actually. It sounds below average at best when you take out of the box, and only gets worse and worse as it bends in your pocket, until it starts emitting weird noises after only a few months ..
Looking at the measurements I can't see why it would sound horrible. Certainly not compared to many DAPs.
Looking at the first post you made on this forum, I find those claims about the sound quality of the Apple dongle quite remarkable.

I can't comment on the reliability and build quality of the Apple dongle. But I have not seen many complaints about it (I have not actively searched for them either ;) ).

D

Deleted member 43123

Looking at the measurements I can't see why it would sound horrible. Certainly not compared to many DAPs.
Looking at the first post you made on this forum, I find those claims about the sound quality of the Apple dongle quite remarkable.

I can't comment on the reliability and build quality of the Apple dongle. But I have not seen many complaints about it (I have not actively searched for them either ;) ).

Well the first thing I did when I got my Sony NWA55 was to try 4 different combinations:
- Spotify over 4G with Apple Dongle
- Spotify over WIFI with Apple Dongle
- Spotify over 4g streaming to my DAP
- Spotify over WIFI streaming to my DAP

The first two are almost impossible to differentiate, the third one sounds a bit frustrating because I can fast hear that the sound is not very clean, the 4th one is by very far the best and I threw my dongle in the trash right after.

RHO

Major Contributor
Well the first thing I did when I got my Sony NWA55 was to try 4 different combinations:
- Spotify over 4G with Apple Dongle
- Spotify over WIFI with Apple Dongle
- Spotify over 4g streaming to my DAP
- Spotify over WIFI streaming to my DAP

The first two are almost impossible to differentiate, the third one sounds a bit frustrating because I can fast hear that the sound is not very clean, the 4th one is by very far the best and I threw my dongle in the trash right after.
So, it could just as well be a Spotify issue on your phone or/and a problem with 4G. Or your bias towards the DAP.

Top Bottom