• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU9-n issue

OP
H

horias2000

Forum Donor
I wrote to the dealer. And they asked me the following question: "The brand side means to let you keep a file suffix, do not switch between DSD and FLAC, try to see the result. They want to confirm whether there is a problem with the internal components." I just don't understand what they want. Maybe you can explain this question to me.
Wow, I have no idea :). Just listen to FLAC and see if it makes any diference (most proabbly not)

Lexxz

There's no difference but what they want I don't understand

raif71

Major Contributor
I purchased in June and noticed the horrendous crackling but it seemed to go away. This is because I don't have enough time to listen long enough for the heat threshold. I reset the SU-9 Pro, and the problem seemed to go away, so I thought it was some fluke in my particular settings configuration. Today it returned in spades and it's obvious this is the exact heat buildup described by @horias2000. I'm wondering if they're "recycling" bad DACs. By that I mean simply reselling in the hopes that the bad ones shuffle out to people who either don't listen long enough or at a volume level for it to become a problem. And what's wrong with ventilation holes as a solution?

I also have an SH9 power amp and I'm a bit jaded. I really don't want to send both of these devices back to Apos. May I ask for recommendations?
1690810222667.png

Maybe you can put the DAC on top of a USB cooling fan for longer usage?

Essar

Raif, I'm still within the APOS return period. I'd rather not fix SMSL's problem for them. After my refund for the SMSL DAC and amp, I'm going with a Topping equivalent. I have to say that the level of technical expertise in this group is amazing!

View attachment 302438

Maybe you can put the DAC on top of a USB cooling fan for longer usage?

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
there's a few local sources with very good prices on the SU6/9... they are getting long in the tooth but the performance is well documented and no one really wants better stats

but why would you buy one knowing what problems are there underneath

OP
H

horias2000

Forum Donor
there's a few local sources with very good prices on the SU6/9... they are getting long in the tooth but the performance is well documented and no one really wants better stats

but why would you buy one knowing what problems are there underneath
I do not think that all SU9/6 suffer from this issue. When I bought mine, I bought another one for a friend and he does not have the same issue with his. Not until now at least. So I think they sold huge quantities of these and only some have this issue.

Lexxz

Today I received an offer from the dealer to ship my SMSL SU-9n under warranty to China at my expense. The minimum shipment for a preliminary review is $40. Was it worth the savings from buying from Chinese dealers? And the result is not yet known in the end

OP
H

horias2000

Forum Donor
Today I received an offer from the dealer to ship my SMSL SU-9n under warranty to China at my expense. The minimum shipment for a preliminary review is $40. Was it worth the savings from buying from Chinese dealers? And the result is not yet known in the end
Yeah, that is what they told me as well but I obviously decided not to :). I guess it's up to you if you try to fix it yourself or if you ship it back. If you do not have the tools to do the IC replacement yourself, then maybe you can find a service shop that does this. They can also order the IC for you. I'm not sure if it will cheaper than 40$ but it will most probabbly be faster.

Essar

This is recording from today. It's painful.

Attachments

• SMSL corruption.zip
    703.5 KB · Views: 50
OP
H

horias2000

Forum Donor
It sounds like clock issues. It's similar to what I had. If you can, try replacing the IC. If not, send it back. You can also try using a different USB cable as the cable might have an impact as well. High-speed audio usb connection does not have error correction and a bad cable might degrade the sound.

Lexxz

Yes, the sound is exactly like that, there is no doubt that this is the SI5351A-B-GT chip.

Attachments

• SMSL corruption.zip
    703.5 KB · Views: 36

will_hl

Yes i totally agree.
Yesterday I ordered a new IC. I don't think this "fix" will last long...
Once the eletronics starts to show problems, the best solution is to replace them.

I will update the results when it arrives...
Thanks for the suggestions!
Reporting about SMSL SU6....

I Replaced the bad IC with a new one from China and now it works perfectly.
Its working for about a month and i run the stack (SU6+SH6) between 12 and 15 hours a day. So no more crackling noises in this time, even when the system is warm.

I will edit my previous post, to discourage trying to add heatsink/thermalpads to ´help´ the bad IC.
If you find that the problem is the IC, replace it. Do it the right way.

Thanks again for this thread guys!

Essar

I'm still being ignored by Apos and started a claim through my bank. They're a rather sleazy bunch I've come to learn. I may have to send this to China even though I'm well within my 45-day period and willing to pay the 20% restocking. It's infuriating they don't have a phone number and that they don't respond to repeated emails. I'm also not confident that SMSL will suitably fix this problem.

Lexxz

I shipped mine from Hungary, in seven days it is in China; 4 days of transit and already the second dent at Chinese customs. Further suspense. I do not name the company yet, for ethical reasons.

Essar

I received this yesterday. It required intervention from my bank (or at least their hearing I'd issued a claim). Sheila wrote:

Hi Steve,

Our apologies. We were short-staffed so we're not able to respond to you right away. Your request was received and acknowledged on July 30 so you're still covered by our 45-day return policy. I've now re-escalated it to our team.

A part of your order is an Apos Certified unit, it's a final sale product and is only eligible for a return for replacement but I'll seek an approval for your request since you're looking at a different stack already.

We apologize for this unusual delays on our responses and we appreciate your understanding. I'll follow up as soon as I get an update.

Sincerely,
Shiela
--------------------------------------

My understanding? I have none.

Essar

I shipped mine from Hungary, in seven days it is in China; 4 days of transit and already the second dent at Chinese customs. Further suspense. I do not name the company yet, for ethical reasons.

Consider my position that it's ethical for bad business practices to be widely publicized, at minimum to deter shady companies.

Essar

I succeeded and I'm convinced it's because I made threats. I now have the RMA I needed after involving my bank and writing on Apos' FB pages. I don't rule out that they're watching posts in this group and the others I posted in. I'm convinced I'd have a far worse experience if I had played softball. I hope our experiences with Apos become more widely known. Thanks for all your support, folks.

I'm now considering "HiFi College" but only after I look further into that outfit's integrity.

Essar

Welp, Apos Audio did a solid. They've accepted back the SU-9 for a return (with a restocking fee), as well as the SH-9 amp. I'd ordered a replacement Topping D90LE refurbished but since they were out of stock they're providing a new, rather than "APOS Certified" item.

I wonder if I was a squeaky wheel that got the attention. Here's the notification from "Dani"

Hi Steve,

This is Dani from the Support team @ Apos Audio.

I was just informed by our warehouse team that we have unfortunately sold out of the Apos Certified TOPPING D90LE DAC.

In light of this hiccup on our end, I've gotten approval from our Head of Finance to provide you with a complimentary upgrade to a brand new unit instead.

In the meantime, feel free to let me know if there's anything else I can help you with.

Sincerely,
Dani

Ok I've sent my unit back. Shipping was $104 CAD which is around 1/4 of the unit cost. Will let you guys know what happens.
Ok I've received my unit back and it seems to be working great. It took over a month to send and receive it, here is the timeline:
August 1 - sent the unit.
August 12 - unit is received at the warehouse.
August 27 - unit is returned to the warehouse after repair.
September 8 - received repaired package.

My complaints: shipping to China with tracking is quite expensive and I also was charged by ShenzenAudio for import duties and taxes. This is interesting since most places usually don't apply duties when the return is for warranty purposes.

Top Bottom